Adam BK

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I was annoyed to hear that they would not have SA, WA etc in this 150 year celebrations however it is great to see McLeod captain again. Especially as I thought how well he led Australia vs Ireland in the past this will probably be the only time we get to see McLeod captain in our game seeing as he has stated before he does not want to captain full time. Pity they wont have as much to play for if it was real SOO.

afl.com.au said:
THE AFL has announced a one-off clash between a Victorian representative side and a “Dream Team” made up of the best of the rest of the country’s players that will form the centerpiece of the game’s 150th year celebrations.

The match will take place at the MCG on May 10 and is designed to pay tribute to playing greats of the past.

It will incorporate the annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony that will occur on the Thursday leading up to the match.

“We’ve got a fantastic vehicle next year for our 150th anniversary celebration; it will be a one-off opportunity to see the 50 best players playing in our competition on the MCG for the first and last time.

“The list [of great players] goes on and on and we’re all salivating at the thought and the prospect of this fantastic game.”

The Victorian side will be coached by Mark Thompson, who will be assisted by Bomber legend Kevin Sheedy, while his 2007 Grand Final counterpart, Mark Williams, will oversee the Dream Team with the assistance of Neale Daniher.

Brisbane power forward Jonathan Brown will skipper the Vics, with current All-Australian skipper Andrew McLeod to lead the Dream Team.

The match will be a key factor in deciding the make-up of the 2008 All-Australian side, with the form of the first four rounds taken into account in selecting the teams. It will also count towards players’ career records, with any suspensions arising from the game carried over to the next home-and-away round.

“We’re [also] delighted that the players have decided to donate any match payments to charities including the AFLPA past players health hardship fund.”

With no other AFL matches scheduled for the weekend, Demetriou said all players not participating in the match would be headed back to their original local teams in a bid to promote grassroots football.

“We want the focus to be on state league and particularly community football,” Demetriou said.

“A major part of our push for that weekend will be to have people attend their local football that day, so that three or four million or maybe even more people are spread across the country watching the grassroots football that makes us so strong.”

“I just can’t wait to get out there and get stuck into them and prove that Victoria produces the best footballers,” Brown said.

Daniher, however, was having none of that.

“We might come from New South Wales and Tassie and South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory but we have one common thing; we love to belt the Vics out here at the MCG,” he said.

“The players are all elite athletes who have egos who will want to test themselves against the best.”

Williams had no doubt the match would be a hotly contested one worthy of tuning in for.

“When I was first asked I said ‘Well is it going to be a fair dinkum game or not?’ because I didn’t want to be involved [otherwise],” he said.

“There’s no restrictions [on selection] and there’s no doubt it’s going to be a fair dinkum game
Full article at: http://www.afc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsId=53812

By the looks, the only thing mcleod hasn't captained is the Adelaide footy club.

Great news though, good on him, I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Poor bloke has Choko as a coach though.

Be interesting to see who else might get a guernsey from the crows, should be a great match to watch, less defensive, much more offensive as no time to develop proper defensive stratagies.

I'm still annoyed.

I was driving home from work and the sports report started with ''Andrew McLeod has been made Captain'' and I was :eek::) then it followed '' and Mark Williams coach of the Dream Team''

Congrats to both on their appointments and hope it works for the AFL. I wont be supporting it apart from making a few comments on here

Happy to see Macca as 'Dream Team' Captain, he'll do a fantastic job :thumbsu: Although not as happy with the whole concept, should be a joke of a game.

I'm actually looking forward to this game.
Whilst I'm not at all happy with the dream team concept, it would certainly make a statement if the Vics were absolutely flogged, 119 style.

the fact that its not a SA vs VIC game is a joke and disgrace.

im now looking forward to the game with Mcleod as skipper. Good on him, it just goes to show how much the rest of Aust acknowledge how much of a gun he is.

For once I agree with Cornsey - It should have been East Australia vs West Australia not 1 state vs the rest. Even copying the format of the NFL where it is the two conferences and the fans pick the teams. Vlad could have raised more money by having a voting competition to pick the teams.

That just shows what Vlad thinks about the rest of Australia really. :(

Congratulations to both McLeod and Brown I am sure they hold it in high regard and its a highlight for them but for me, this whole concept is a bit of a wank. Either have the darn think properly or don't have it at all. These games are just rubbish. The quality is never high becuase every one wants to lairise and be the man. Its a joke and really doesn't interest me one bit.

I will still probably end up watching it because I just love watching football but it won't have any sort of meaning to me or there will not be any passion there. I hope our boys don't get injuried and thats all that really matters.

It is ridiculous that they have gone witht his concept over State of Origin. Whileliving in Melboune have lived the majority of my life in SA and would have loved nothing more than to go along to the 'G and watch the South Aussies thump the Vics.

I'll still probably go to the game but certainly will just be an observor of the game and won't support what it is. Really still just shows what a lot of the people in charge down at the AFL think of the other states.

Would think the All Star team would get the points though if they were to have free range at any of the players. Cox, Kerr, Pavlich, Riewoldt, McLeod. Will be interesting to see how it goes but should definately of been SOO.

I'm still annoyed.

I was driving home from work and the sports report started with ''Andrew McLeod has been made Captain'' and I was :eek::) then it followed '' and Mark Williams coach of the Dream Team''

Congrats to both on their appointments and hope it works for the AFL. I wont be supporting it apart from making a few comments on here

Im with you.
Glad for Maccas sake but typically, the AFLtorians think they rule the ****en world and to not have our state properly represented is disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to Andy on his appointment but I cant say I give a stuff about the game really. Ill still watch i because I love the game but it really means nothing. Of course it would be nice to see the "Dream Team" smash the Big V but its just an insult to every other state. Why do the current crop of Victorians get the honour of wearing their state jumper and the rest get SFA. Typical AFL really.

As for the other Crow lads likely to play, you'd have to say Goody, Thommo and Truck would be the only others around the mark. When youve got blokes like Pavlich, Kerr, Cox, Riewoldt, Franklin etc I cant see anyone else being selected.

What a load of sh*t.

This makes me so angry. Its tha AFL, not the VFL. GOD this is a joke!

To make it fair, why don't they play the match at the Telstra Stadium or AAMI?

We don't get a team, so give us the match.

p.s MOVE THE ROO's NOW

It's absolute bullshit - I argued with a Victorian workmate about this ALL DAY today.

It's not a celebration of the VFA/VFL/AFL - It's a celebration of all football. And i find it a slap in the face to the SANFL, WAFL etc...

TThe East-West or North-South concept would have been the way to go, or simply pick the 50 best players into 2 teams - this is a discrace on the game.

I will be watching and hope to god the Vics are put in their place with a 10 goal thumping

F*** them all

Everyone else seems to have missed out that this clearly implies McLeod will be playing again in 2009! Very good news!

Don't really care about the concept. Would have been nice to have SA in there, but it'll be an entertaining game nonetheless.

Everyone else seems to have missed out that this clearly implies McLeod will be playing again in 2009! Very good news!

Don't really care about the concept. Would have been nice to have SA in there, but it'll be an entertaining game nonetheless.

Why does it imply that ?? The game is next year, not 2009 !!

Whilst I think Macca will be playing then, theres nothing clear about it.

Yeah and then just to spite the AFL, bugger all people show up. :D

All-Stars match... pffffft. :thumbsdown::mad:

Well what are the fans meant to do when the 'dream team' scores. Do the Vics cheer...I won't. I have a state jumper in my closet. I can't wear it.

This is the biggest load of rubbish. It should have been SOO or nothing. :mad: I am so angry about this.

Its times like this that I wish a new rougue league was formed

Wow - talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think it will be an entertaining game, and if I'm around I would go down and watch it. And cheer for the Dream Team.

And what were they supposed to do? You can't do state of origin in this day and age - and the main people that don't want it are the Crows and Power (or Eagles and Dockers) because they know they'll be providing the majority of any state side, and they would be really exposed in terms of injury. In this scenario, every team will be providing about four or five players.

Plus - what about the WA supporters? Won't they be saying it should be a Vic vs WA SOO game?

The Vics provide about half the players in the league, so it's fair enough they're one team. And the one thing every other state has in common is hating the Vics, so surely we could get behind that!

Vics will smash'em.

Goodes, Hodge, Bartel, Ablett & some guy named drafted to Carlton named Judd delivering the ball to J. Brown, Lucas, Fevola.

Then you have guys like Dal Santo, Ball(get fit) sitting on the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back