Prediction Will Hamish move to the new Tasmanian team?

Will Hamish move to the new Tasmanian team?

• Yep, he bleeds apple juice.

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No, Ham's way too loyal.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's the over/unders on Wether big Hamish will leave us to help set up the new Tasmanian team?

He is a massive Tasmanian dude, has a lot of friends involved in Tasmanian football, and will most likely be involved in the new team.
The AFL will want proven guys to go there straight away, and they would love him to go there. They get to kill two birds with one stone. Help the new expansion team, and screw us over as well.

What say ye?

Possible. Hamish is doing a good job of rebuilding his reputation after we did a hatchet job to it in the backend of the 2010s. I assume the question gets asked if we stay on the path we're on, in part for the IP of how to get through a rebuilding phase.

Still, way too far out. After all, a bad year or two onfield could easily see his recruiting career snuffed out regardless how he goes.

Possible. Hamish is doing a good job of rebuilding his reputation after we did a hatchet job to it in the backend of the 2010s. I assume the question gets asked if we stay on the path we're on, in part for the IP of how to get through a rebuilding phase.

Still, way too far out. After all, a bad year or two onfield could easily see his recruiting career snuffed out regardless how he goes.
Pretty sure it was Hamish himself that was tanking his reputation.

Pretty sure it was Hamish himself that was tanking his reputation.

You vastly overrate the impact a recruiter has if you believe that.

Doesn't matter who you draft if they're coming to a toxic and hollowed out club. The vast majority aren't doing s**t.

Doesn't matter who you draft if they're coming to a toxic and hollowed out club. The vast majority aren't doing s**t.
I'm really starting to wonder how much influence Burton and Pyke were having on recruitment (and trading). Either side of those two being at the club our recruiting and list management looks a lot better. Burton in particular seemed like the kind of dickhead manager who interferes with everything and tells everyone (wrongly) how to do their job.

The question should be "Will Chayce Jones move to the new Tasmanian Team"

So how come McAsey didn't thrive under Nicks? Why are Jones and McHenry just role players when the club drafted them in the first round?

I'm really starting to wonder how much influence Burton and Pyke were having on recruitment (and trading). Either side of those two being at the club our recruiting and list management looks a lot better. Burton in particular seemed like the kind of dickhead manager who interferes with everything and tells everyone (wrongly) how to do their job.
Well we know for certain Pyke had plenty of influence in the selection of Jordan Gallucci over our recruiters Hamish, Phil Bunn and Steve McCrystal's choice Tim English.

Why would they need him... They would get 3 years of 1st rounderd anyways ... And then blow it all signing too many on big contracts and then give them away for free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chayce Jones is really starting to show he's much more than a role player and there's quite a significant difference between a top 5 - 10 pick than a pick at the tail end of the 1st round (McHenry) and I doubt we take Neddy if Jackson Hately had slipped a couple more picks down the order as subsequent events would indicate.

McAsey almost certainly wouldn't have been a Crow if the AFL didn't intervene with their ridiculous overkill of priority picks to the Gold Coast, highly likely our original pick in that draft would have been Noah Anderson given the Dees made no secret that Luke Jackson was their boy a fair way out from draft night.
Look, Jones was picked over Butters.

So what you’re saying Hamish would have chosen a worse player if he was available?

Anderson going to Gold Coast does not mean we had to take McAsey, just like getting the pick for Pedlar doesn’t mean we had to pick up McAsey. It’s all smokescreens for a dud pick.

If Hamish wasn’t working for the Crows would you have the same opinion?

And yet they picked Turner and Brown within a short period.
Cheap short term depth, very little gained, very little lost....like most MSD picks by all clubs unless you've got 1st pick. Parnell's turned out OK? Murray as a SSP turned out OK?

Cheap short term depth, very little gained, very little lost....like most MSD picks by all clubs unless you've got 1st pick. Parnell's turned out OK? Murray as a SSP turned out OK?
You questioned the selection of both and now you’re defending them….sort of backs up my point doesn’t it?

You questioned the selection of both and now you’re defending them….sort of backs up my point doesn’t it?
Defending them? I thought I explained their situation perfectly...no gain, no loss.

Parnell and Murray go OK yeah?

You win some you lose some just like all recruiters, it's not a perfexct science.

As much as I loathe birdbrain, I'm more inclined to believe that we botched our implementation of data/analytics with Binuk and co. Hamish admitted it was something the club was behind on and maybe they rushed themselves trying to catch up. Just a theory based on how our recruiting seemed to fall off a cliff around about that time.

Defending them? I thought I explained their situation perfectly...no gain, no loss.

Parnell and Murray go OK yeah?

You win some you lose some just like all recruiters, it's not a perfexct science.
No gain no loss isn’t an excuse for choosing dud players. You’re not a recruiter and yet you wouldn’t have picked up either and you were right. Turner was even injured at the time.

Yes Parnell and Murray do and no I’m not expecting a recruiter to get everyone right, but some are just poor picks like Turner, Brown, McAsey…Thankfully the first 2 didn’t cost much

I don't think he's one of the best and don't think he's one of the worst.

Kind of middle of the road for me.

Probably errs on the side of safety more than I would like and probably puts more weight on exposed junior form and good familes more than I would too.

He's not alone in this and there's so much pressure on getting picks right that you understand why he would lean this way.

I think he does an ok job, but not a difference maker. Could someone come in and fill his shoes? I'd say for sure. There's so much data of there nowadays that you could make safe, less risky choices quite easily.

So how come McAsey didn't thrive under Nicks? Why are Jones and McHenry just role players when the club drafted them in the first round?

A long career as a valuable role player is par for a pick outside of the top 5. Jones is certainly getting there which is promising, especially as he just flexed some ability to patch holes in defense as well.

That I'm not going to defend. It was a terrible pick at the time, seeing it was for the wrong reasons to draft someone (replacing a vet 4 years down the line), and I think that is what ended up killing Fish career here. After all, that career ending injury to Talia led to us finding our likely KPD partnership for the next decade, and we probably don't draft Murray without it. I do wonder how different his career ends up if Talia stays healthy, seeing Fish is given a few years to build his fitness/strength/game/maturity before being thrust into a do-or-die situation and KPD is a position that, unless they're genuinely exceptional, does take a bit of time.

McHenry isn't a role player anymore. He's depth. He might be playing himself onto another list though, seeing he had a solid year so far. Seems to be an unfortunate mix of being the wrong type of player from a previous regime and an influx of talent coming in. The one thing Murphy has on him is Murph is a tidy player.

The thing is that they need to be having a lot of influence on what Hamish does. After all, in successful clubs, a drafter drafts for the system the coach wants to build.

I suspect the opposite from when Burton took over, where they had none and left Hamish to his own devices to guess what they needed. McHenry to fill a need as a defensive forward. Picking two lightning quick outside players in '18 in Jones and Hamill when we planned to play fraudball in 2019 (seeing we went full Sando). Even 2017, with a key forward in Fogarty when we had 4 of them all locked up for multiple years. They're all strange picks looking back and look like Hamish and Pyke haven't spoken at all.

If anything, Nicks is the control freak. The last three years has genuinely been focused on a certain identity. Seeing they're all power athletes or got skills.

Back