News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

A week off for a first year player can be a mental refresh as much as a physical refresh.

And this is not an equal world we live in, some players will get more perks than others.
On the flip side media scrutiny and social media makes it a more difficult modern times for well known or popular athletes

This is nuts!

Moore gets swooped by a magpie at the moment of kicking for goal. As a result, his ball goes astray and hits the top of some sort of post, toppling the post which then proceeds to fall onto his own car, smashing its windshield.

I mean, obviously fake but kinda funny.

Victorian speedster Jack Petruccelle says West Coast Eagles are a home away from home​

It’s official: Jack Petruccelle is a half-forward who dabbles in the supernatural arts of the midfield, not the other way around.

“I’ll always be a half-forward. That’s where I have played my whole life,” Petruccelle said.

Now in his seventh season, the 25-year-old 188cm swingman has been called on over the past two seasons to help out in the midfield after cutting a reputation as a quicksilver forward.

He played 18 games in 2023 - a best return since 2019 – as a high half-forward-mid and has been a regular in the same role across the opening seven games of 2024, which has helped him improve to above average returns in kicks, marks and tackles. He laid 10 “clamps” in Sunday’s 37-point loss to the Gold Coast in south-east Queensland, while attending 25 centre bounces in stifling humidity and rain.

“It has been the last couple of years when we haven’t had the numbers on the track or the numbers available to play where I have had to step into a midfield role,” Petruccelle told ABC Radio.

“Sometimes as a half-forward it is not your day. You’re are playing your role but the ball is not bouncing your way, whereas having a little midfield move and learning a new position helps me to get around the ball a little bit.

“I will always be a half-forward but might be the type who can pinch hit for four or five minutes when one of them needs a rest.”

Raised as a Carlton supporter in a family full of Blues, Petruccelle might be a Victorian parked permanently in the west, but he dismisses the go-home factor because he feels like Perth is home.

“You obviously do see the go-home factor quite a bit across the league. Coming over to Perth I’d been for one game before getting drafted,” he said.

“Draft night seemed a little bit doom and gloom for me. I was excited but with the mixed emotions of having to move across the country. That was seven years ago now and I haven’t even thought about going home.”

He said the Eagles created an environment where “they make you not want to go home”.

“You don’t actually see many Victorians go home from West Coast because the way the club do it is unbelievable. They really make you feel like you are at home here and they really do everything they can to keep you,” he said.

The Eagles will be taking on a rested Essendon, coming off a nine-day break since Anzac Day, while having only six days to recover from their own trip to Queensland, the longest in the AFL.

“The air pressure and the long flight can really blow you up,” Petruccelle said.

“It is something I got wrong last year when we flew to Brisbane and I had a really bad corkie that probably blew up from not looking after it as good as I should have.

“It is about a five-and-a-half hour flight. You obviously get knocks and bumps during a game but it is really important period while you are travelling to look after them – if you need ice on bumps or compression on legs, it is really important to get it right at that moment.

“It is something we have got used to and we have got right now and all the boys are pretty diligent.”

He forecast Essendon on Saturday night at Optus Stadium would be “tight” with the Bombers coming off a draw with the Pies.

“They have had a good start to the year. Tough and have some really handy players,” he said.

Asked if they had a plan for one of the Brownlow favourites, Zach Merrett, he said: “Let’s hope our midfield gets on top so no one does need to.”

The Eagles have their own early Brownlow fancy, Elliot Yeo, who is scheduled to play his 200th game on Saturday night.

“He went above and beyond this off-season to really focus on his body and get it right,” Petruccelle said.

“The way he is playing is no surprise to me because I saw him put in all the work. It is good to have him back because he is a barometer in there.

“They always put a highlights package together for milestone games and I dare say his 200th package is one I won’t want to miss because it is going to be full of highlights.”

Petruccelle has fought through his own injury setbacks, turning to a myotherapist recommended by former teammate and captain and now assistant coach Luke Shuey.

“It was a tough couple of years for me there. I just couldn’t get my body right or keep myself out on the track,” he said.

“I’ve just been able to find some things that have worked for me body wise to stay out there.

“A lot of work with the phsyios at the club but then also I branched out and sourced out a myotherapist who is a little bit different .... an expert in soft tissue and a lot of deep tissue massaging ... A lot of elbows into my hamstring and calf. He has been really good for me. I go and see him every week.”

Midfielder? Half-forward? That part is up to debate, what is not is the fact he’s the fastest Eagle.

Why? Because Jack says so.

“We have some quick boys but I’d like to back myself in over 100 metres,” he said.

And his biggest threat?

“Jayden Hunt. He is lightning.”

Some good info from Petchs interview, His draft experience was enlightening.

Last edited:
Some good info from Petchs interview, His draft experience was enlightening.

Full interview with Petch can be found here (skip to 12:15 into the show)

Actually speaks quite well, offers some good insight. Certainly sounds like he’s matured a fair bit in his time at the club

He really is an arrogant asshat.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Huge chance he still lives with his folks and his mum does his washing and packs his lunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His rationale is

He was a die hard Geelong fan pre-draft
Went to West Coast
Played for Peel also so has soft spot for the Dockers

Rather than support any of them post career thought he would go with a fresh team in GWS

Listening to the latest shelter footy cast, when they were speaking about Sloane you could easily tell he’s not happy with how it ended and that he hasn’t had a lap of honour.

Listening to the latest shelter footy cast, when they were speaking about Sloane you could easily tell he’s not happy with how it ended and that he hasn’t had a lap of honour.
Yep. To be honest, what would be the harm in giving him and the players retired / delisted during Covid a belated lap?

Retiring from high level sport must be incredibly difficult for many players. Big dollars, big attention, big support in every area - all encouraging big egos. Then … it’s gone.

And for some no obvious future career path as high level (well paid) footy jobs - media, admin, coaching - are relatively few.

It’s no wonder we hear sad post-retirement stories.

Yep. To be honest, what would be the harm in giving him and the players retired / delisted during Covid a belated lap?

Pretty sure he had a crack at Simmo about it before round 2 when they were discussing the Hurn/Shuey/NicNat lap. “Guess I didn’t play enough games to make the cutoff” or words to that effect.

The way he and Jetta left felt a bit sour, but I’m not sure a very belated lap now would help much.

Pretty sure he had a crack at Simmo about it before round 2 when they were discussing the Hurn/Shuey/NicNat lap. “Guess I didn’t play enough games to make the cutoff” or words to that effect.

The way he and Jetta left felt a bit sour, but I’m not sure a very belated lap now would help much.
I was pondering this today and probably 10yr GF anniversary for a lap would probably be the appropriate time. Get the boys out and celebrate (hopefully pre-game with a bunch of newly minted premiership heroes).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back