News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whiz the comments section on social media Simmo’s reply to the vic clubs calls regarding WA travel is flipping hilarious. People genuinely need to start reading the articles before they comment

Barring Gather Round, all the non-Vics come away with a neutral 0, because for every great HGA, they lose it immediately the next week. Nearly 80% of clubs are neutral and above, with only four of the 10 Vic clubs getting the 'disadvantage', all of which are borne out of one too many -1s at Marvel or the MCG, one train stop down the road.

God forbid I make neutrals 0.5: the non-Vics make up the entire bottom eight, with North/Geelong/Essendon/Colingwood/Hawthorn leading the pack.

In short, get ****ed campaigners.
The “genuine home game” one from Victorian morons always irks me!

They seriously think that Collingwood playing Richmond at the MCG takes away any tangible advantage because they’re co-tenants.

It’s nothing to do with about how partisan or otherwise the bloody crowd is!

It’s about getting to and from an airport, sitting on a plane breathing that shitty recirculating air for 3.5hrs, sleeping in a hotel bed for a couple of nights, playing a game and then getting back on a plane banged up and sore to sit and breathe the same shitty recirculating air for half an hour longer on the return leg only to get back home at some ungodly hour to start your recovery in earnest. And doing that every other week!

As Rhino said Essendon have ONE interstate game in the next 13 (!) rounds! Boo hoo they had to hop on 45 minute commuter flights to and from Sydney and Adelaide (twice) in the first six rounds. The AFL made damn sure that they were well rested for their single transcontinental jaunt with a 9 day break whilst their opponents were coming off a 6 day break from a destination that is 1.5 hours further away!

Geography is always going to work against us; I get it. But days break and the like should be worked as best as practicable in our favour as compensation for the sheer volume of travel that both us and Freo do during the season.

We do charter flights. It’s a normal virgin plane with a few rows of premium economy at the front. Gov, TB and the senior boys are up the front and as you go back you get down to the first years then the support staff. Very hierarchical. This business class rubbish in the media is total bullshit.
Fek you wernt one of the fans on the charter singing the club song after a thumping last year?

Letting a kid paint your nails, then using it as a goal celebration is actually kind of heart-warming. If herb hadn't done so many vids mocking the dons, would be a great socials recruit.

It's fun to laugh at Essendon, but new herb video pretty nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good stat from this guy

Of course, the responses to this are all “you joined a Vic competition, deal with it” and “what do you want, the Vic sides to play each other in perth? There’s no way to fix it”

I know Twitter isn’t exactly a collection of genius intellects, but I suspect those lines of thinking are pretty common throughout Victoria, including at AFL house.

Giants, Suns AFL’s most frequent travellers as Vic clubs bristle over WA complaints.​

The headline doesnt make sense? It implies the Giants and Suns travel the most, but West Coast/ Freo top the list of total Kms travelled overall?

The f*ck is their argument?

EDIT: its because GWS/ GCS technically catch more actual airplane flights per year

Last edited:
Of course, the responses to this are all “you joined a Vic competition, deal with it” and “what do you want, the Vic sides to play each other in perth? There’s no way to fix it”

I know Twitter isn’t exactly a collection of genius intellects, but I suspect those lines of thinking are pretty common throughout Victoria, including at AFL house.

Same reply when you point out any inequities - "you joined out comp so you deal with it."

My standard reply is usually "must hurt to know you invented the game and we're better at it - on and off the field."

"you need to leave your wife at home with the kids and go live in a hotel once a fortnight but it's fine because for 4 hours you get to sit in a big seat"

boy oh boy, unhinged behaviour from the Vic clubs here
It's clear we're actually pushing this now and the AFL is taking it seriously for the Vic clubs to arc up. I can guarantee it was leaked on the WA clubs' end.

More broadly, I really hope Pyke is building a united front with Freo on this and other Non-Victorian issues. Absolutely moronic to not back each other up on common issues in the past. I think we needed clean air with a new WC head to get past the pettiness.

Same reply when you point out any inequities - "you joined out comp so you deal with it."

My standard reply is usually "must hurt to know you invented the game and we're better at it - on and off the field."

My favourite response was the Pies fan insisting that the fact our national league is totally Melbourne-centric is in fact part of what gives the sport its charm, and me insisting it was unfair was proof I didn’t care about tradition.

Second favourite is the bloke who keeps asking me what I expect when we live on the other side of the country, and when I say I’m just looking for small measures like no extra pre season travel and no Tassie trips, responds with a different version of “but you’re on the other side of the country, what do you expect?”

I suspect a horse kicked him in the head as a child.

It's clear we're actually pushing this now and the AFL is taking it seriously for the Vic clubs to arc up. I can guarantee it was leaked on the WA clubs' end.

More broadly, I really hope Pyke is building a united front with Freo on this and other Non-Victorian issues. Absolutely moronic to not back each other up on common issues in the past. I think we needed clean air with a new WC head to get past the pettiness.

Don Pyke is from the "us vs them, stuff the Vics" era. He also has close ties to three AFL clubs in three states, none of which are Victoria. He is the perfect campaigner to understand the travel burden and have the connections to push it on a united front. He also has the right attitude in taking it up to the VFL just as he did in his playing days.

The headline doesnt make sense? It implies the Giants and Suns travel the most, but West Coast/ Freo top the list of total Kms travelled overall?

The f*ck is their argument?

EDIT: its because GWS/ GCS technically catch more actual airplane flights per year
Their argument is to try and make it look like the West Australian teams are just whingers since they don't 'travel as much' as GWS and GC. It's not logical, but it's playing to an audience that wants to believe it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back