FBT.MCDONALD*S.MAY*N.BROWN
HBA.DAVEYJ.FRAWLEY*C.SALEM*
CC.BRUCEC.OLIVER*J.VINEY*
HFC.PETRACCA*J.HOGANA.YZE
FFR.ROBERTSOND.NEITZ (vc)B.GREEN
RRM.GAWN* (c)J.MCDONALDN.JONES
INTJ.WHITEB.MOLONEYS.WOEWODIN - B.VINCE
COACH:SIMON GOODWIN*

Lever needs 1 more good year to get ahead of garland for mine..

Last edited:
CHANGES AT END OF 2021:
IN: S.GOODWIN, C.PETRACCA, S.MAY, C.SALEM
OUTS: N.DANIHER, J.GARLETT, C.GARLAND, J.RIVERS
CAPTAIN CHANGE: NEITZ TO GAWN

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.MCDONALD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.MAY*[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.BROWN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.DAVEY[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.FRAWLEY[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.SALEM*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.BRUCE[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.OLIVER*[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.VINEY*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.YZE[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.HOGAN[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.PETRACCA*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.ROBERTSON[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.NEITZ (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.GREEN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.GAWN* (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.MCDONALD[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.JONES[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.WHITE[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.MOLONEY[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.WOEWODIN ---- B.VINCE[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]SIMON GOODWIN*[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

Lever needs 1 more good year to get ahead of brown for mine..
Personally I'd put Lever in McDonald's spot in the backline. TMc was an ok stopper for a couple of years (granted, not helped being in a rubbish side) but a turnover merchant with the ball. Lever a better interceptor, user and leader down back.
Could make a case for Hibberd swapping with Davey on HBF too, although maybe that's just my recency bias, and us being good now, playing up.
Decent effort though.

Would have Jared Rivers ahead of Tom McDonald but would have Jake Lever in that spot.

A great opening lineup!

I would put Matthew Whelan in for Garland (and move Rivers to CHB) as you'd really want a shut down small defender. Either Whelan or Jetta, take your pick. The Neitz/Hogan combination with either White or Gawn resting forward would be ridiculous.

Also need some outside run and class so Travis Johnstone sneaks onto the wing and Moloney gets dropped.

FB: T.MCDONALD* - J.FRAWLEY - M.WHELAN
HB: A.DAVEY - J.RIVERS - N.BROWN
C: C.BRUCE - J.MCDONALD - T. JOHNSTONE
HF: B.GREEN - J.HOGAN - A.YZE
FF: R.ROBERTSON - D.NEITZ (c) - J.GARLETT
RR: M.GAWN* - C.OLIVER* - N.JONES* (vc)
INT J.WHITE - J.VINEY - S.WOEWODIN - B.VINCE
COACH: NEALE DANIHER

Revisiting this after the grand final win...

FB: C. SALEM - J.FRAWLEY - M.WHELAN
HB: A.DAVEY - J.RIVERS - J. LEVER
C: C.BRUCE - J. VINEY - T. JOHNSTONE
HF: C. PETRACCA - J.HOGAN - A.YZE
FF: R.ROBERTSON - D.NEITZ - B. GREEN
RR: M.GAWN* (c) - C.OLIVER* - N.JONES (vc)
INT J.WHITE - J. MCDONALD - S.WOEWODIN - B.VINCE
COACH: NEALE DANIHER

Tom McDonald out at back pocket for Christian Salem
Nathan Brown out at half back for Jake Lever
Brad Green moves to forward pocket instead of Jeff Garlett, with Petracca sliding in at half forward
Viney now starting with James McDonald on the bench.

Players on the edge:

- Frawley & Rivers almost out for May
- Vince almost out for Brayshaw
- A similar year from Fritsch and he goes in for Hogan
- It's very hard to not put in Goodwin... but * that, the Rev stays!

Gotta have Goody as coach, even with 2019 his win-loss record is pretty good (and we’ll never know how much of that is his fault - might have been able to have another 2018-like year with a fit list)

CHANGES AT END OF 2023:
INS: J.LEVER, A.BRAYSHAW
OUTS: C.GARLAND, C.SALEM

FBT.MCDONALD*S.MAY*J.LEVER*
HBA.DAVEYJ.FRAWLEY*A.BRAYSHAW*

Thank you to the dees board for your input so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year kozi has made his way in to this team as well.

Thoughts?

CHANGES AT END OF 2023:

I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year kozi has made his way in to this team as well.

Thoughts?
Surely we got someone better than Moloney?

CHANGES AT END OF 2023:

Thoughts?
Looks good. At what point does Bailey Fritsch get a look in?

Looks good. At what point does Bailey Fritsch get a look in?

I think at most other teams he would have but the dees small to medium forwards are one of the best.

It may become one option to put petracca in midfield, mcdonald to bench and fritsch forward

I think at most other teams he would have but the dees small to medium forwards are one of the best.

It may become one option to put petracca in midfield, mcdonald to bench and fritsch forward

Easy move, Trac to onballer for McDonald, Fritsch to HFF. I wouldnt even have McDonald in the team. Good trier but I think White, Moloney, Woey and Vince are just better players.

Feel Davey and Yze need to swap places.

How is Hibberd not in this side? Must be in the starting 18

Hogan lucky to be in the team also. Once Pickett is eligible he should be out completely. Robbo can play CHF.

Last edited:
Easy move, Trac to onballer for McDonald, Fritsch to HFF. I wouldnt even have McDonald in the team. Good trier but I think White, Moloney, Woey and Vince are just better players.

Feel Davey and Yze need to swap places.

How is Hibberd not in this side? Must be in the starting 18

Hogan lucky to be in the team also. Once Pickett is eligible he should be out completely. Robbo can play CHF.

Surprised at your thoughts re: mcdonald. I know he played in a terrible era for dees but was still able to win all Australian honours unlike moloney and vince to go with 2 bnfs.

Who would you take out for hibberd?

Hogan for me is the weakest link in this side. Dees have really struggled with key forwards since neitz. And im not sure robbo at 187 is the answer.

Surprised at your thoughts re: mcdonald. I know he played in a terrible era for dees but was still able to win all Australian honours unlike moloney and vince to go with 2 bnfs.

Hogan for me is the weakest link in this side. Dees have really struggled with key forwards since neitz. And im not sure robbo at 187 is the answer.

Junior was a good tagger, I think you can make a case for him over Moloney, Woey and Vince, its just preference.

Hibberd has to be ahead of Gus and Tom McDonald in the back 6.

Neville Jetta probably stiff not to make this side also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Tmac ever get AA recognition as a defender? Surely not.

Edit: Oh wait you were talking about Junior McDonald. Either way Tmac doesn't get a look in the side. Backline is way too tall. Replace him with Neville Jetta or Hibberd

I think if you forget about perfect structure this is my main Melbourne team of the 21st century.

Hibberd. - May - Jetta
Brown - Rivers - Bizzell
Bruce - Jones - Vince
Yze. - Robbo. - Green
Davey. - Neitz. - Fritsch
Gawn. - Trac. - Oliver
White.- Viney - Frawley - Woewodin

Stiff
Lever, Walsh, Moloney, Walsh Whelan.

Last edited:
I think if you forget about perfect structure this is my main Melbourne team of the 21st century.

Hibberd. - May - Jetta
Brown - Rivers - Bizzell
Bruce - Jones - Vince
Yze. - Robbo. - Trac
Davey. - Neitz. - Fritsch
Gawn. - Trac. - Oliver
White.- Green - Frawley - Woewodin

Stiff
Lever, Viney, Walsh, Moloney, Walsh Whelan.

Trac in there twice

Id got with

B: Jetta May Lever
HB: Yze Frawley Hibberd
C: Vince Jones Bruce
HF: Davey Robertson Green
F: Pickett Neitz Fritsch
R: Gawn Petracca Oliver
INT: White Viney Bizzell Woewodin Snr
SUB: Schache or Moloney
EMG: Tom McDonald James McDonald Jared Rivers Nathan Brown

Tmacs a little stiff in that he's probably 7th or 8th in the backline and the forward line but not good enough for either.
Id got with

F: Pickett Neitz Fritsch
INT: White Viney Bizzell Woewodin Snr
SUB: Schache or Moloney
EMG: Tom McDonald James McDonald Jared Rivers Nathan Brown
Think we have exactly the same team except Rivers and Lever just with Yze back instead of forward.

That one's tough. Levers best is better but he's really only had one standout season. Rivers was very good for a long time

Bizzell and Chip sorta the same at a smaller scale. Chips best was as good as May but didn't last long, Bizzell was damn reliable but maybe I'm too nostalgic on him

Id got with

Actually, * it, if Woey can make the best team when he was traded in 2002, Framer can also after his epic 2000 season where he kicked 76 goals

F: Farmer Neitz Fritsch
INT: White Viney Bizzell Pickett
SUB: Schache or Woewodin Snr
EMG: Tom McDonald James McDonald Jared Rivers Moloney

Bizzell and Chip sorta the same at a smaller scale. Chips best was as good as May but didn't last long, Bizzell was damn reliable but maybe I'm too nostalgic on him

Bizzell is so underrated, the guy could play well out of his weight division.

Yeah I loved him. Same as Pig. You just put those blokes in down back and don't worry about them

Id start Bizzell on the bench, can go forward and play CHF if Robbo goes down.

Joel Smith like a flexibility 😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Back