Melbourne's best kept secret.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Anton Grbac

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2001
Anyone who's into blues should check out local legends Collard Greens and Gravy. They play The Stork Hotel in the city Friday nights and The Old Bar in Fitzroy Sunday nights. Check 'em out, The Stork was goin' off last night.

More gravy baby!

------------------------------------------------------
EFC: We Hate You Too

Hear them most Friday nights on my way home after work. They sound pretty tidy, and generally seem to be getting right into it all.

Would be a pretty good night out at The Stork, on Friday's, if you are wanting an easy-going sort of night out with the mates, or alternatively, it's also a reasonable enough spot to bring a g/f and your/her mates to.

Stocka,
Next time your passing, you really should drop in and have a good look at them (it's always a free gig) They've got an amazingly fat sound for a three piece. They particularly excell at uptempo boogie/shuffling tunes. Like i said, The Stork was jumping on Friday night.

I've been following 'em for about 5 years now and seen 'em many, many times. They've never failed to deliver.

-------------------------------------------------------

Wally, I've been hearing some great things about Collards, Greens and Gravy. I think one of the members of Melbourne swamp legends Harem Scarem plays in the band. I got to get down there-did you ever see the Paramount Trio? They were another great Melbourne blues band.

Rusty,
Never seen The Paramount Trio live, but have a CD ("Step It Up And Go)" of theirs. I did however catch Vocalist/harpist Dave Hogan's previous band Southern Lightning quite often at The Redhouse (remember The Redhouse?), often alternating between them and Phil Para's Hendrix set (ever caught Phil Para live?....impressive.......) in the late 80's/early 90's, maybe you've heard/seen 'em? They played the old, dirty, electric "Chicago Blues" and did it very nicely.

Hogan was also involved with ex-Rose Tattoo slide guitarist Pete Wells, and a few other "legends" of the Melbourne blues scene to form Blues Hangover, a sort of "supergroup". They released a couple of great CD's in the mid 90's.

Back on Gravy, although i dunno about the Harem Scarem connection, but yeah, you gotta check 'em out. You won't be disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------------

Collards - yes caught them a few times a couple years back at Muddy Waters in Chapel Street - true about the fullness that this 3 piece create! Didn't know about the Stork gig, will certainly make a pleasant change from the usual "after 5" goings on that the City offers on a Friday.
As for Paramount Trio - magnificent! Warren Rough has always been one of my fave guitar players (going back to seminal Melb psychobilly band - The Corpse Grinders - most of whom can now be found in Intoxica and/or the The Exotics) To see any of these bands mentioned, especially for the uninitiated, is definitely an experience akin to a musical awakening. Still brings shivers whenever Bonehead screams out "INTOXICAAAAAAA"

Is the Old Bar a free gig? I live out the back and wouldn't mind checking them out with my housemate.

Originally posted by Polecat
Collards - yes caught them a few times a couple years back at Muddy Waters in Chapel Street - true about the fullness that this 3 piece create! Didn't know about the Stork gig, will certainly make a pleasant change from the usual "after 5" goings on that the City offers on a Friday.
As for Paramount Trio - magnificent! Warren Rough has always been one of my fave guitar players (going back to seminal Melb psychobilly band - The Corpse Grinders - most of whom can now be found in Intoxica and/or the The Exotics) To see any of these bands mentioned, especially for the uninitiated, is definitely an experience akin to a musical awakening. Still brings shivers whenever Bonehead screams out "INTOXICAAAAAAA"

I'm a big fan of Intoxica and the Exotics-Australia's answer to the Cramps. Did you use to see the Paramounts at the Rainbow on Saturday evenings? Always great in winter to cruise in (especially after a Hawthorn win), listen to some great country blues, grab a curry in Johnson St and then head off to see some dirty rock band. It was my Saturday routine for about three years running.

Originally posted by Rusty Brookes

I'm a big fan of Intoxica and the Exotics-Australia's answer to the Cramps. Did you use to see the Paramounts at the Rainbow on Saturday evenings?

The late arvo gigs at the Rainbow? Yeah, if memory serves me correct, you needed to be quick in leaving the G so you had time to catch at least one good set.
Sunday arvo's at the Royal Derby were always a hoot too - what was it called again - the Rocker Barbie?? I remember seeing an early incarnation of The Living End there when they were known as the Runaway Boys.
On a good afternoon, the grassed median strip along Alexandra Pde would be full of sick rods and customs - that is until the Council thought it a good $$ raiser to start fining the cars pretty much ending the gigs soon thereafter.

Originally posted by McAlmanac
Is the Old Bar a free gig? I live out the back and wouldn't mind checking them out with my housemate.

Yep.

-------------------------------------------------

Remove this Banner Ad

Back