Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

The Miami Dolphins have allowed opposing quarterbacks to throw 61 straight pass attempts without being sacked.

This nugget comes courtesy of the Miami Herald, and illustrates the Dolphins' lack of success in pressuring opposing quarterbacks. The Miami defensive front has recorded just one sack so far in 2015, and it came on the opening drive of the season. The offseason acquisition of Ndamukong Suh was aimed to boost this defense, but results have not surfaced to this point. Week 3 will see Miami host the Buffalo Bills in an AFC East battle and with Buffalo allowing eight sacks through two games, this could be a spot for the Dolphins to break through. The Miami D/ST is a borderline startable fantasy unit in Week 3.

Source: Miami Herald

Jaguars have averaged something like 4 or 5 sacks against for a long stretch. We couldn't even manage one.

More broadly I don't think Philbin will be there next year, that is if he makes it until the end of the season.

Last edited:

Apparently it's just Suh doing a "Haynesworth"

That's a bit unfair. Suh is in a completely different system and if you look at the tape he has made plenty of plays that don't come up on the stat sheet. I know he's being paid a lot but I'd start to judge him a bit more next year.

Evans: Suh playing not to get hurt?

NFL Network analyst and noted Ndamukong Suh critic Heath Evans has taken another shot at the Miami Dolphins and former Detroit Lions DT.

Evans -- a former journeyman fullback who had a one-season stint with the Dolphins -- made his comments on a Miami radio show (via miami.cbslocal.com).

“This is where I get tired of lazy analysts not watching every single game and every single play of Suh,” Evans said. “I’m not gonna stand up on my soapbox and beat the drum unless I know what the heck I’m talking about. There’s a lot of topics I’ll just say, ‘Hey, I’m not sure about that quarterback, I’m not sure about that offensive line, I’m not sure about that team.’

"But with Suh, Warren Sapp was the first one to challenge it. He said, 'Heath, just watch this, this guy is a very limited player and he gets a lot of hype for a lot of other things he shouldn’t get hype for but watch his tape.’ And so two years ago I started doing it. Every single play. Playoff teams, the guy doesn’t show up. Yes, last year vs. the Cowboys he had one good game, but look back and watch these games.”

And through two games with the Dolphins?

“People were hitting me up on Twitter after the Week 1 vs. the Redskins saying oh he was double teamed and they were cutting him,” Evans said. “Go count the double teams. You can count them on one hand. He was losing one-on-one matchups. The first two drives, in eight plays, he fell subject to the same block four times … no awareness. No understanding of the scheme that he’s facing. He got whammed again. All the same stuff.

"Why do you think no legitimate, true Lombardi contender was after him in free agency? The Lions — who knew him better than anybody — weren’t gonna pay him what the Dolphins paid him. There was no one in that race for Ndamukong Suh except for the Miami Dolphins. Ask yourself why. Well, the Miami Dolphins fanatics don’t want to answer that question because it makes them look like, ‘Doggone, our management is screwing this up again.’ And now the world is seeing two weeks in a row, this guy is playing conservative football. He’s not even playing anywhere near as good as he played in Detroit and I don’t think his Detroit play was worth $120 million.

"They need to find a way, I don’t know if it’s a talking to from the owner, but you’ve got to find a way to motivate Suh because I’m telling you he’s playing like he’s trying to protect himself not to get hurt. That’s what it looks like and that’s not just me saying it … he’s playing very tentative football.”

Don't you love it when guys take shots at players who bailed on Detroit?

Fwiw Suh ain't no Haynesworth. He has pride. I expect his production to lift significantly as he learns a new system. The mans a beast.

Detroits D has suffered without him that's for sure and our FO ****ed up by not resigning him.

28299dc74b56b6a2ffc423b73ae463fee15e958f3c56ba6f8a81a71f0ec7fcd1.jpg

Hearing rumblings that the DC Kevin Coyle is as good as gone and Philbins job hinges on next weeks game against the Jets. If we lose then replacements will be explored. Definite friction between Tannenbaum and HC, so even if we go 10 - 6 or something Philbin may likely still be goneskies (Ed, head Dolphins scout, 2015).

It can't be a shock that they are on thin ice. The pre-season form was ordinary but I don't think anyone was too concerned based upon signings, and what was expected to be natural improvement. We are really just a Landry punt return away from being 0-3! So maybe the pre-season form was entirely accurate for where we sit.

There's plenty requiring to be fixed sadly - and not much time to do it before the season slips away ... again

It can't be a shock that they are on thin ice. The pre-season form was ordinary but I don't think anyone was too concerned based upon signings, and what was expected to be natural improvement. We are really just a Landry punt return away from being 0-3! So maybe the pre-season form was entirely accurate for where we sit.

There's plenty requiring to be fixed sadly - and not much time to do it before the season slips away ... again

What a hellish start. So much optimism. Suh signing, cameron not bad addition, good draft pick in davante parker, tannehill off an excellent season, etc.

They look woeful. Lucky to be 1-2. If something aint done in a hurry coach wise or something, could end up a 3-13 type season

Philbin seems like a nice guy and all, but he doesn't strike you as someone ruthless enough to be the man in charge. Look at Ryan today going ballistic after a penalty conceded, whereas Philbin has the same dumb look on his head at the start of the game, and at the end!

But problems don't end with the coaches. Tannehill despite a few picks today has been really good this year, but for Christs sake, give him an O-Line that can protect him a bit. And fix the dumb penalties they are giving away. And how the hell can a defence including Suh, Wake and Grimes look so incompetent?

Lose to the Jets next week, and season over

Lose to the Jets next week, and season over

If current trends continue can't see us winning next week. Jets D too strong. Never know though I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins firing coach Joe Philbin in-season "remains a possibility."

This is pure speculation at this point, of course, but when given the chance, owner Stephen Ross failed to endorse Philbin as the Dolphins' coach for the remainder of 2015. Miami is off to a lousy 1-2 start, barely squeaking by the Redskins Week 1 before losing back-to-back games to the Jaguars and Bills. According to writer Barry Jackson, players are also starting to make some noise, complaining about the length and intensity of a recent practice. The Dolphins were believed to be privately flirting with now-Falcons coach Dan Quinn after last season.

Feel as though this just about sums up where we're at.

HC most likely gone as is the Miami Hurricanes HC...or so I'm told by my pro scout Edward.

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins firing coach Joe Philbin in-season "remains a possibility."

This is pure speculation at this point, of course, but when given the chance, owner Stephen Ross failed to endorse Philbin as the Dolphins' coach for the remainder of 2015. Miami is off to a lousy 1-2 start, barely squeaking by the Redskins Week 1 before losing back-to-back games to the Jaguars and Bills. According to writer Barry Jackson, players are also starting to make some noise, complaining about the length and intensity of a recent practice. The Dolphins were believed to be privately flirting with now-Falcons coach Dan Quinn after last season.

we lose on the weekend, he's gone. He's lucky to have lasted this long as it is.

NFL Network's Rand Getlin reported the Dolphins would consider "shaking up" the coaching staff if the team loses Week 4 in London.

"We've been going out there, and practicing our (tails) off every day, but as players, we're tired of being embarrassed," said one member of the Dolphins. "If we get beat in Europe, (players) are going to throw in the towel." It would not be the first time a team has quit on Joe Philbin, and the real question is how the perennially mediocre coach kept his job this offseason following three years of scandal and underachievement. The Dolphins would likely try to right the ship by axing unpopular DC Kevin Coyle before resorting to firing Philbin, but the real problem in the Miami coaching staff resides at the top.

Source: NFL.com

Nah, I'm not having that. Not disputing that he doesn't have the long ball in his repertoire. But if you saw the Jets game today, and I pray that you didn't waste your time watching that debacle, you would have seen his TD pass to Stoneburner that was lobbed up in the arc.

It's a reasonable criticism I guess that he is not the most adventurous QB going around, but at the risk of banging on like a broken record, the Dolphins offensive line is putrid. If I was in his position I'd be getting rid of the ball as quick and hard as I could too!

The fact is that despite getting perhaps the worst protection in the league, he has improved every year now, and he has his franchise contract. I think he has the ability to be top 10 consistently, and yeah whilst I'd love him to be Aaron Rogers, he's not our biggest concern, and I'm pretty happy he's our guy, and reckon he will be there for a while yet (He'll be there for longer than Coyle and Philbin certainly!!!)

Nah, I'm not having that. Not disputing that he doesn't have the long ball in his repertoire. But if you saw the Jets game today, and I pray that you didn't waste your time watching that debacle, you would have seen his TD pass to Stoneburner that was lobbed up in the arc.

It's a reasonable criticism I guess that he is not the most adventurous QB going around, but at the risk of banging on like a broken record, the Dolphins offensive line is putrid. If I was in his position I'd be getting rid of the ball as quick and hard as I could too!

The fact is that despite getting perhaps the worst protection in the league, he has improved every year now, and he has his franchise contract. I think he has the ability to be top 10 consistently, and yeah whilst I'd love him to be Aaron Rogers, he's not our biggest concern, and I'm pretty happy he's our guy, and reckon he will be there for a while yet (He'll be there for longer than Coyle and Philbin certainly!!!)
I watched the entire game. He connected maybe twice all day on a long-arc, and MISSED about 800 times on a long-arc. He completed 19/44 sheesh. He was under pressure all day, but that's not an excuse, a top QB still connects, finds a way to. And not all the those overthrown balls were under pressure either. I've completely turned on Tannehill....i think he aint got a ceiling.

He was poor today no doubt. Let's blame the Wembley wind though haha. I mean Fitzpatrick was rubbish too!

I'm not gonna over react on him on one game though. There's things that conspire against him that hinder him - I've mentioned the O-line, but he's also not allowed to call audibles either. Fair enough that you reckon he's at his ceiling now and its always interesting in hearing others opinions who are less biased as me! I'm still a fan of him, and I'm much more concerned by other things rather than our QB.

His last two weeks have been poor, but I reckon his first two weeks were fine. especially week 2 but that was a loss of course.

He was poor today no doubt. Let's blame the Wembley wind though haha. I mean Fitzpatrick was rubbish too!

I'm not gonna over react on him on one game though. There's things that conspire against him that hinder him - I've mentioned the O-line, but he's also not allowed to call audibles either. Fair enough that you reckon he's at his ceiling now and its always interesting in hearing others opinions who are less biased as me! I'm still a fan of him, and I'm much more concerned by other things rather than our QB.

His last two weeks have been poor, but I reckon his first two weeks were fine. especially week 2 but that was a loss of course.
hopefully you guys can turn it around quickly.

Some of it falls at Tannehills feet. He has to find a way to make throws. Especially when a team is blitzing like the Jets it really falls to the QB to find a 1-on-1 and exploit it. He can't throw effectively long and deep.

But then you have to look at the other side of the coin. Since he entered the league he has been the most sacked QB under the most pressure. Luck who is arguably a top 5 QB struggles under pressure. Manning crumbles under pressure if he doesn't sense it (and that's both brothers).

We just signed Tannehill to a huge contract, so I don't think we're going to cut him and cop the cap hit for 4 years lol...

The long and deep ball comments are valid but its also partly the players. Not everyone can catch a deep ball or is effective at doing so. You need a possession receiver who just burns people. We have Stills, but he doesn't get on the field enough.

Re: blitzing...if you noticed last night the blitzing was insane. Tannehill has less than 3 seconds to make something. It ain't easy. For you to win the 1v1s anyway you need a target. Revis as one of the best CB's in the league doesn't give you that chance. Cromartie (top 10) doesn't. Our only WR that could fight for the ball against a CB is Devanter Parker who doesn't player.

The issue is Philbin and Lazor don't tailor to Tannehills strengths. He is one of if not the best in the league for passing on the run. Every QB struggles. Manning needs the shotgun so they run a hell of a lot of shotgun plays now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back