Prediction Michael Barlow

Remove this Banner Ad

First Rockliff, and now Barlow?! Christ...

No thankyou, and shouldn't even be considered.

Bit of a let down after the Gibbs hype but I would not be against it. He is still young enough for a couple of solid years and one thing I do like about Barlow is that he is genuinely a big midfielder and that is one thing we really lack.

I think that it's worth the punt. I think that he goes ahead of Dougie, Mackay and Thommo and will give us a bit of grunt. Not a Gibbs but a solid contributor.

No to Barlow, we need pace.
Back in Knight, Hampton and co.

Actually, he might help with this - push Brad Crouch more outside.
Crouch is quick enough, without being lightning, but when he plays as inside the contest as he did late this year (and when we're not winning in close he drifts in there naturally) we dont get to see it.

Everyone has been asking for more speed. Whilst Barlow can accumulate touches he certainly isn't quick. Is this what we really want. Like many others on here I would love to get some games into some of our youngsters.

Not sold at all. I suggested Barlow before trade week and was howled down. Thommo getting a new 1 year contract doesn't fill me with confidence that we have embraced playing the future of our club. Fully expect to see Mackay and Douglas round 1 and probably ST as well. Barlow has skills, but I'd like to see who would win a race between him and Thommo...think it would be close. Gibbs is only 1 year younger, but is healthy coming off his best season for ages. Barlow just got cut from a team that didn't win until nearly halfway through the season and he was done by round 17 with an AC that required surgery.
Not sure what the direction of the club is at the moment if we get Barlow...more of the same play it safe make finals gallant in defeat.
No for me.

A big body, footy IQ, quick hands could help the young Crows midfielders come along. Adds something a bit different to the set up. Probably a similar player to Lyons, except the bigger body and probably a bit less pace.

If he didn't cost much he could be a valuable addition in terms of midfield insurance and someone else to get the ball out to the likes of a Cameron or Smith - who many of us would like to see more of in the midfield. Could also help manage the load on M.Crouch and Sloane in particular.

fact of the matter is,. Barlow will cost nothing.. I reckon he is definitely worth the punt.. sign him to a 2 year deal (heavily front loaded) so if he doesn't work out at least he isn't chewing up too much cap next season. Surely we are better off with him than Mckay???

So sick of all the negativity on this board.....
Unfortunately there is ALOT of negativity in all the forums,.. Anything less than a premiership and everyone is calling for everyone to be traded, sacked, shot etc.. I want to win a flag as much as anyone,. but I think it's a little fickle to jump all over everyone in the club if we don't. This is not a 'mediocre attitude' this is just being a loyal/positive supporter. Through the good and the bad.

He won't cost anything, and will be 28 when the season starts like Gibbs.

I think he could play a role in the side, and would much rather him on the list than Thommo. Still though, I think its time to move onto the next-generation.

Won't be fussed either way.

Hmmm big bodied midfielder who finds the ball in close and distributes well by hand. Not the best kick going around and isn't that quick.

Barlow? No, Cameron Ellis-Yolmen.
Get back to me when CEY averages 24 disposals and 6 tackles a game, even as a third or fourth string mid.

A senior footballer who has had one or two above average seasons - welcome to the afc, should fit in nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting read - something I didn't come across or give note to when it happened during the season, sort of just read he was done for the year and left it at that.

I don't suppose you came across any follow up information post operation as to how bad his shoulder might have been?

So hard to get a good read on CEY. I remember when he got a gig in the pre season of 2013(?), think at that point he was more of a HBF (don't quote me on that) and I remember him showing a few nice signs, something to get excited about. Heading into the 2015 season I had him as a monty to get delisted come the end of the season given he just hadn't taken off from what he did in 2013 but he came out and really looked to fit into our midfield under Walsh. He's not quick but he's just one of those players that seems to have a bit of time when he has the ball in his hands and for all the talk of his poor kick, he was surprisingly effective when kicking it into our forward 50. I remember being of the opinion he was better in the team ahead of M.Crouch due to the fact he seemed to have a real knack for winning it out of a centre clearance, those touches seem to be gold imo.

However at the same time, the club has shown no real interest to give him a crack since the loss of Walsh. It seems Campo wasn't interested in what he had to offer and Pyke only brought him in for two games due to outs and even then, he hardly saw a run in the midfield. For whatever reason, the coaches don't seem to have much faith in him. Even as a fan myself, I don't think we can put all the eggs in the CEY basket and there needs to be an alternative option in case he doesn't carry on from where he left off in 2015. We've got other midfielders in the seconds but none that possess the height/size of CEY (I suppose Greenwood but I'm not giving him much time until he's moved to the senior list) which is something I feel we miss in our midfield.

I wish we had a bigger sample size of CEY at AFL level to get a better idea of what he can offer. My two concerns are whether he's really aggressive enough and if he can find enough of the ball consistently at AFL level to be a full time midfielder. Not really finding a heap of it was probably my biggest issue in 2015 with him although I feel incredibility harsh in saying such given it was his first proper shot at AFL level and he was far from being a first string midfielder.

So really, I'm all for playing CEY as I think he's long overdue of a proper shot yet at the same time, even as a fan I feel we need an alternative option and then when you consider the position of the coaches, he really doesn't seem like much of a go to option with how he's been used in the past ~18 months.
It took 6 seasons for Lyons to be a regular 22 member and I still think he would've been replaced if Knight was fit. CEY should be given a decent run starting round 1 if he's good to go. I think he offers a lot more than Lyons. He's not super quick but he's not snail paced like Lyons and Grigg either. Looks very laconic when running but I think he's quicker than he appears. Having said all that I'm not hopeful that he'll get a round 1 spot even if he's in great shape cause I fear Campo will just go with the same old MF plodders.

Unfortunately there is ALOT of negativity in all the forums,.. Anything less than a premiership and everyone is calling for everyone to be traded, sacked, shot etc.. I want to win a flag as much as anyone,. but I think it's a little fickle to jump all over everyone in the club if we don't. This is not a 'mediocre attitude' this is just being a loyal/positive supporter. Through the good and the bad.
There are always a proliferation of these types of threads in off season. I tend to avoid them. Full of finger pointing , knee jerk reactions and Lindy melts

I think he could play a role in the side, and would much rather him on the list than Thommo. Still though, I think its time to move onto the next-generation.

If it's the list spot we had for greenwood then no. If we do this but keep him on rookie list it will be short sighted imo. Greenwood should be able to play afl in 2017.

Barlow would essentially be a free bet! His form wasn't brilliant this year but when he is playing well he is one of the premier mids in the comp. I hope we do give him a shot. He will provide us everything we wanted from Bryce.
Actually he won't. Bryce has better disposal, kicks it longer and is a bit quicker.

How much of this is the 'devil you know ' . There is no competition whose the better player across their careers. Can we afford to spots for 'backup ' older mids? Age is on bar lows side but his body breaks down more than thommo.

You should start a thread where all the positive supporters can get together and sing Kum Ba Yah.

I don't get it either

Guys like
Crowbots are dead Maggsy BunjiMC

Want to bitch & moan about the content they consume but don't want to create any content of their own

It's like they still want others to do it for them, but want it delivered to spec

Any more entitled and they'd be part of ports china delegation :p ;)

Barlow is recorded on a stats site as having better disposal efficiency and wins more contested possession. Gibbs gets a lot of outside ball. Quicker? thats a big call.
Gibbs averages 393 metres gained a game, Barlow 256 :eek:. Kicking longer compared to dinky kicks will always lead to lower disposal efficiency. We already have enough mids with low metres gained in the Crouch boys.

Barlow has 2 more contested possessions a game.

You don't think Gibbs is quicker than Barlow? Not by much but he is.

Barlow isn't close to being a replacement for Gibbs.

Barlow is recorded on a stats site as having better disposal efficiency and wins more contested possession. Gibbs gets a lot of outside ball. Quicker? thats a big call.

Barlow dinks short kicks obviously. That's one of the criticisms he can't kick the ball for crap so he chips in short. Lousy disposal

Gibbs is so much quicker it's not worth discussing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back