Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I've created a monster

secret smell GIF

Gale needs the funds for the Statue of himself in the entry foyer of the new grandstand ...

200.gif

I agree with you 100% though ... take two VFL jets from Geelong or Footscray ... at worst they help replace the injuries that have hit the VFL program ... at best you were wrong and they become an AFL star
Is the statue of him on his knees in front of Gill?

Notes on Howes game for SA -

#39 Noah Howes (South Adelaide)
Key Forward/Ruck | 196cm | 28/10/2005

Stats: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals

With the mid-season draft on the horizon, Howes was the only over-ager afield and certainly did not hurt his chances of achieving higher honours. After missing a shot after the half time siren, the key forward lifted with two second half goals, including one to level the scores on the back of a soaring contested mark. He also rolled through the ruck to win five hitouts and proved his dexterity with nimble work around the ground. His senior experience shone through.

Jai Culley was looking ok too for West Coast until he did his ACL in 2023. However, I think with the emergence of Waterman, Ryan Maric playing ok and Oscar Allen injured his future will be clouded.

Just sheer bad luck for some players.
I don’t understand your comment. Allen and Waterman are forwards and Culley is a tall midfielder. They aren’t competing for the same position.

While we need talls, the MSD hasn’t exactly been a happy hunting ground for those looking for them.

We have been linked to Blight and I’d be ok with that pick if they believe he’s got the upside of a Tyler Young. The risk is he’s Tony Pink quality.

A tall back is probably less risky than a tall forward but if they see upside in a Skaife or Hutchinson I’m good with that too. They would be 50/50 to make it to senior level anyway so being patient with a player with upside is ok. If there is upside in a young ruck as well this is where we should be picking them. Again, no idea of the quality of these youngsters- we’d be speculating at best. But no Teakle please.

Happy with one of our own at our second pick. Either Davidson or El Nour or even Archie May as a project Whoever they see has senior qualities. Good to reward one of our VFL guys.

If we walk away with Blight and one of our VFL boys I think we have had a good night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand your comment. Allen and Waterman are forwards and Culley is a tall midfielder. They aren’t competing for the same position.
Pretty sure he received a rising star nomination for kicking 4 goals playing half forward last year.

Eagles site even has him down as a 194cm key forward. He may have been drafted as a mid but he is definitely a forward now.

Last edited:
We missed out on Durham
We missed out on diambrosio
We can't miss another player right under our noses in sam davison. His athleticism is off the charts. And he is a smart team orientated player
Never been in an elite system just like tresize. The sooner we bring him in and he starts training with afl players in afl system the better he will get
His has tremendous potential
Let's get him now 😤

Agree…Davidson (and May) would be good choices

They are RFC lads so they already know our system

They are both developing nicely

We can get them to stipulate a 6 month contract (or an 18 month gig) .hardly selling the farm off if they don’t progress…we will have retirements in Grimes, maybe Prestia, maybe KMac and delistings

I’d back these 2…

Last edited:
Most of the key forwards mentioned here are not exactly blowing out of the park. Most have stats of about 1.5 goals a game. Thinking that they are going to do it at a higher level is in my opinion very wishful thinking. Imagine what a 21 year old Jack or Lynch would be doing in the VFL. Ugle-Hagen is just now starting to be a real player, and he was the no.1 draft pick. Same with all the other high draft pic talls. Not much point picking an average key forward, they rarely go on to have a career. Mihochek is one of very few who has.

Much rather go for a young ruck, as we have non, or a young player who shows something but is just starting. Have watched Davison pretty closely since his first practice match. He disappeared for a bit, but the last two weeks, every time he touches the ball something happens. Very smart natural footballer. Look at Essendon's Sam Durham, very good player. They are around.

Most of the key forwards mentioned here are not exactly blowing out of the park. Most have stats of about 1.5 goals a game. Thinking that they are going to do it at a higher level is in my opinion very wishful thinking. Imagine what a 21 year old Jack or Lynch would be doing in the VFL. Ugle-Hagen is just now starting to be a real player, and he was the no.1 draft pick. Same with all the other high draft pic talls. Not much point picking an average key forward, they rarely go on to have a career. Mihochek is one of very few who has.

Much rather go for a young ruck, as we have non, or a young player who shows something but is just starting. Have watched Davison pretty closely since his first practice match. He disappeared for a bit, but the last two weeks, every time he touches the ball something happens. Very smart natural footballer. Look at Essendon's Sam Durham, very good player. They are around.
This is why I'm not overly keen on Scaife, he also had the Freo development pathway.

But the other two Howes & MacLean are younger than the guys we drafted last year.

The club clearly has more in depth knowledge than all us keyboard list managers when it comes to the depth of talent that is available. Given only 24 of the 340 odd players to nominate for the draft were asked to perform medicals it would strongly suggest that the talent we think is there, isn't really there at all.

IMO we've probably got 3-4 of those 24 in mind for the draft and will, if Yzes comments are anything to go by, likely take no more than 2 of them unless a 3rd falls through to our 3rd pick.

I know we all see it as a free swing, but the investment has got to be worth it, it's not just the $60k per player, but there is also the coaching to bring the players up to speed so they can actually be useful. IMO we'll likely take 2 players on 18 month contracts so that there is little pressure on them to come in and perform from day 1, but to allow them to be developed in the right way, so they may become players we have around for 5+ years.
Go back and look at previous MSDs ... virtually zero correlation between requests for medicals and who was picked ...

Appears more of a correlation between who was the flavour of the month and getting picked up ...

Scaife hardly troubled the scorers over the last three rounds, Howes missed the last month ... Thank heck he had 14p and 2 goals including the one to put them ahead for SA against last year's champion Allies on the weekend ... or we would be taking Blight tomorrow just because he can play kick to kick
If we walk away with Blight and one of our VFL boys I think we have had a good night.
What the heck ...

We just witness on the weekend that Kosi and Balta are much better backman than forwards but taking another KPD would be a good night ??? We already have 5 full backs on the list !!!

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Even ignoring the fact that Blight is a complete potato how can not taking a KPF be a complete fail

Go back and look at previous MSDs ... virtually zero correlation between requests for medicals and who was picked ...

Appears more of a correlation between who was the flavour of the month and getting picked up ...

Scaife hardly troubled the scorers over the last three rounds, Howes missed the last month ... Thank heck he had 14p and 2 goals including the one to put them ahead for SA against last year's champion Allies on the weekend ... or we would be taking Blight tomorrow just because he can play kick to kick

What the heck ...

We just witness on the weekend that Kosi and Balta are much better backman than forwards but taking another KPD would be a good night ??? We already have 5 full backs on the list !!!

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Even ignoring the fact that Blight is a complete potato how can not taking a KPF be a complete fail
Requesting medicals is just announcing who you're interested in. I reckon we'd prefer to keep our cards closer to our chest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back