Midfield 2022- 4 locks + ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Youd be hoping Williams fitness goes up a huge notch so the combination of him Cerra and Walsh can patrol the wings and Carroll, Newnes L'Ob etc can be called on if needed/ when ready. We've got enough outside runners now. Hopefully they come on.
Don't want to see Newnes anywhere near the team next year. Agree on the rest.

I want Ed nowhere near the midfield unless he's tagging someone.
Same, I love Ed but also know younger guys that can and should be developed in midfield have much higher ceilings.
If we are going to contend, Ed is going to be a fringe player for us like Nathan Jones and Melksham ended up for Demons by end of this season.
I also think it guys like Dow and Stocker developed to be big part of engine room that will have us go much farther forward as a team. If Walsh , Cerra and Cripps is not the be all and end all of our engine room in 2021 we should make finals. Then hopefully the following season go a step further once a good 12 to 18 months of new coaching style is embedded in everyone as a whole group.
If one of Cuningham or O'Brien can be the pacy guy from wing that does a role like Ed Langdon did for Demons we going places.
There no reason why O'Brien cannot look at guys like Langdon and Salem at Demons and aim to be as good as them by end of 2023.
If Matt Kennedy and Hewitt are doing enough like a Hames and Viney for Demons we will have good midfield. Potentially we have more midfield depth than Demons but the trick is getting the midfield setup at elite level as damaging as Gawn, Jackson, Petracca and Oliver were in the finals series.
Like Petracca stepped up big time in last 12 to 18 months, we going to need one of our young midfielders that not been in there regularly to do the same.
It probably asking too much to replicate Gawn and Jackson ruck division unless Pittonet develops big time as Gawn did in his mid 20's. Tom DeKoning has that x-factor like a Jackson so it going to be interesting to see the engine room setup change big time in 2022 and 23 on what we saw in last two seasons of nothing developed of note apart from Walsh.

I backing in Voss and his assistants to find the right mix in next two seasons.

How do people classify the difference between wingman vs link players?

I would like to see these guys being link players, roaming anywhere between defense and delivering the ball into the F50, heck maybe kick a goal or two whilst they are at it.

These link players should be skillful, pacy & agile.
I'm thinking of players like:
  • Cuningham
  • Williams
  • Saad
  • Martin
  • Kemp
  • Maybe even Dow & Fisher
So LOB is a classic wingman, and Doch, Newnes too - but, they doesn't cut it for me as being a valuable link players.
I don't see them as evasive enough

Ah, the supercoach argument
23 touches, 6 tackles, 6 ground ball gets, 4 clearances, 4.5 score involvements, 18 pressure acts.

This isn't a 'supercoach argument', these are valid statistics that demonstrate how vital Kennedy is to our side.

23 touches, 6 tackles, 6 ground ball gets, 4 clearances, 4.5 score involvements, 18 pressure acts.

This isn't a 'supercoach argument', these are valid statistics that demonstrate how vital Kennedy is to our side.

I'm not sure "vital" is the right word, especially if you bring in Hewett with a view to playing him predominantly on ball. He was capable in there late in the year, and certainly justified another year on the list (especially under a new coach).

I do think he has fair chance of making the bench though, as he can be used in both midfield and forward rotations.

If Dow pulls his finger out, or Cunners gets fit (and midfield-fit) then I'd have Kennedy out of the side for one of them as I think they offer something a bit more dynamic. If they're not hitting the required benchmarks though, he offers a solid alternative.

I want Ed nowhere near the midfield unless he's tagging someone.

Agree.

Ed needs to learn from Oliver - stop the dump kicks out of congestion as most teams set up to pick these off.

Needs to handpass to open team mate or hold the ball longer & kick more constructively.

I love Ed’s effort and commitment but too many times his kicks result in turnovers and suddenly the ball is flying back over his head for a score at the other end.

I'm a bit confused about where all this negativity towards Dow is coming from. He had a great back end of last season and really started to show something. He's absolutely right up there if he continues on his development.

Was drafted ahead of Cerra.

Cerra top 5 in Freo B&F last 2 years.

Dow struggling to get a game in best 22.

Paddy seriously needs to “extract the digit” in 2022.

Kennedy has shown much more than LOB for one. I like LOB on a wing, but he's far from set.

Kennedy played some excellent games in 2021. He averaged over 18 disposals and is a threat for goal.

Maybe due to overabundance of inside mids/onballers he doesn't make our best 22 when all fit, but he's in the mix certainly on 2021 form.

LOB needs to get “behind the goal” footage of GF and watch it every day focussing on Langdon.

That’s what the team need from him.

He has all the attributes - needs to get fit and deliver every week.

1. Walsh
2. Cripps
3. Cerra
4. Hewett
5. Stocker

6. Kennedy

1-5 are the main midfielders and Kennedy to start forward or off the bench..
It's time, new coach and game plan, perfect time to unleash Stocker into the midfield and to grow with the group...

7. Martin
8. Williams
9. Fisher

10. Pittonet & TDK as rucks

Can rotate through the midfield off the HFs and HB lines...

Would love for Cripps to play the Dusty role take the centre bounce then push forward, while a HF that can run defensively,
pushes into midfield (Kennedy/Martin/Fisher)..

Cerra & Walsh start on the wings, Cripps to take centre bounces and push forward and 9 players rotating through the middle
makes it extremely hard to tag someone

HBWilliams
CCerraCrippsWalsh
HFMartinTDKFisher
FOLPittonetStockerHewett
BENCHKennedy

O'Brien - Needs to show some consistency and aggression
Dow - Needs to learn to run both ways or will struggle to get a game or stay on the list
Fogarty - Needs to show some consistency and work on foot skills
Carroll - Looks a good type, needs to bulk up and have some continuity in his body.. Excited to see what he can produce
E.Curnow - Will play games but is more injury cover now..
Cuningham - Needs to get back to full fitness and show some continuity in his body
Newnes - Injury cover at best, can't see him getting many games and will struggle to stay on the list
Philp - Looks a good type, needs to bulk up and have some continuity in his body.. Excited to see what he can produce also
Setterfield - Needs to get AFL fit and work on his mental attitude, can't see him getting many games and will struggle to stay on the list

Kennedy is good offensively but lacking defensively and not for lack of effort but purely lack of speed and agility. He's not terrible, he's better than Dow and Cripps a lot of the time. A valid argument to have him either in or out. Problem is I don't see us doing any good with any 2 or 3 of Kennedy, Dow and Cripps in the side and same goes for Setterfield. Not players who are good at getting to the ball quickly when they are out of position.

Defending in modern footy is about making contests. Getting to that lose ball 2 or 5 meters away quickly. Does our player get to it to win it or make a contest or does the opposition player get it and go? That opposition ball carrier, 2 or 5 meters away, do we apply no pressure, token pressure or do we force a pressured kick? Defending in the modern game is all about how quick your players can get to where the footy is, how effectively you tackle and how hard you compete in the contest as well as how hard you run up and down the ground in open play. You actually defend strongly by attacking really strongly and effectively and this is what we have done very poorly for a very long time and why our "game plan" lacks balance.

If the footy is in a favourable position for our players we are good at winning it and getting it forward. If it's not we fail to create a contest and the opposition take it away too cleanly. Has a bit to do with our old game plan and a lot to do with the players in our team and their abilities and mind set.

A guy like Kennedy, you get the ball close enough to him and he tackles well, wins it well, competes well and does everything to a pretty high standard. It's when he has to make up ground that hurts and he's not the only one. Once the ball is a bit of a distance away then the quicker, harder, more agile players smash us. Cripps has the same issue because he's a straight line player, not agile or quick off the mark. Setterfield as well. Dow has the same issue because his footy IQ and competitive drive is no good. Murphy, Fisher, Cuningham, and SPS haven't been hard enough at the contest and have shown no will to run full tilt at a lose ball or opponent in close vicinity so they don't "get there" and give the opposition the upper hand every time.

So who "gets there" well for Carlton? Walsh has done this very well. But the ball or the man within 5 meters of him anywhere and he gets there quicker than most and doesn't slow down for oncoming traffic, he hits them hard. Martin does this well but struggles to be fit and doesn't play much midfield, Fogarty does this pretty well but hasn't played much midfield, I think Stocker and Philp are going to be players who will do this well if fit enough. Hewett and Cerra are a couple who I thin are going to be good at making up these short distances, making contests and creating pressure. Carroll I am hoping has the speed, agility and competitive hunger to fit into this way of playing.

I'm looking forward to the day Carlton play a really quick, tough and highly competitive brand of footy in our midfield with good kicking skills to finish off. Finding that balance between attack and defence and creating a game where we defend strongly by attacking strongly is the direction we need to go in and to do that we need to be uncompromisingly tough, competitive and quick all over the field. I think that should start to happen from 2022 onwards if we build the team properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy is good offensively but lacking defensively and not for lack of effort but purely lack of speed and agility. He's not terrible, he's better than Dow and Cripps a lot of the time. A valid argument to have him either in or out. Problem is I don't see us doing any good with any 2 or 3 of Kennedy, Dow and Cripps in the side and same goes for Setterfield. Not players who are good at getting to the ball quickly when they are out of position.

Defending in modern footy is about making contests. Getting to that lose ball 2 or 5 meters away quickly. Does our player get to it to win it or make a contest or does the opposition player get it and go? That opposition ball carrier, 2 or 5 meters away, do we apply no pressure, token pressure or do we force a pressured kick? Defending in the modern game is all about how quick your players can get to where the footy is, how effectively you tackle and how hard you compete in the contest as well as how hard you run up and down the ground in open play. You actually defend strongly by attacking really strongly and effectively and this is what we have done very poorly for a very long time and why our "game plan" lacks balance.

If the footy is in a favourable position for our players we are good at winning it and getting it forward. If it's not we fail to create a contest and the opposition take it away too cleanly. Has a bit to do with our old game plan and a lot to do with the players in our team and their abilities and mind set.

A guy like Kennedy, you get the ball close enough to him and he tackles well, wins it well, competes well and does everything to a pretty high standard. It's when he has to make up ground that hurts and he's not the only one. Once the ball is a bit of a distance away then the quicker, harder, more agile players smash us. Cripps has the same issue because he's a straight line player, not agile or quick off the mark. Setterfield as well. Dow has the same issue because his footy IQ and competitive drive is no good. Murphy, Fisher, Cuningham, and SPS haven't been hard enough at the contest and have shown no will to run full tilt at a lose ball or opponent in close vicinity so they don't "get there" and give the opposition the upper hand every time.

So who "gets there" well for Carlton? Walsh has done this very well. But the ball or the man within 5 meters of him anywhere and he gets there quicker than most and doesn't slow down for oncoming traffic, he hits them hard. Martin does this well but struggles to be fit and doesn't play much midfield, Fogarty does this pretty well but hasn't played much midfield, I think Stocker and Philp are going to be players who will do this well if fit enough. Hewett and Cerra are a couple who I thin are going to be good at making up these short distances, making contests and creating pressure. Carroll I am hoping has the speed, agility and competitive hunger to fit into this way of playing.

I'm looking forward to the day Carlton play a really quick, tough and highly competitive brand of footy in our midfield with good kicking skills to finish off. Finding that balance between attack and defence and creating a game where we defend strongly by attacking strongly is the direction we need to go in and to do that we need to be uncompromisingly tough, competitive and quick all over the field. I think that should start to happen from 2022 onwards if we build the team properly.

Show time for a bunch of our players. Gone are the excuse that they are young and need a few preseasons etc. Gone is the excuse that the DT game plan is terrible and very taxing. Voss and co will sort out the players that want to be genuine AFL midfielders, and those that prefer to rely on their memories of their glory days in the junior years

IF there's a choice of only 2 of Cripps/Kennedy/Dow due to the defensive issues you've outlined, then I'd rather keep Kennedy in the team.

He's smarter, better mark, better link man, genuine threat for goal. Dow has superior clearance ability and pace, but also has more defiencies in his game.

Show time for a bunch of our players. Gone are the excuse that they are young and need a few preseasons etc. Gone is the excuse that the DT game plan is terrible and very taxing. Voss and co will sort out the players that want to be genuine AFL midfielders, and those that prefer to rely on their memories of their glory days in the junior years

100%. It's going to be a big year for a lot of players. Impress the coach, play how he wants to play or go. I'm tipping there will be a fair few go at the end of next season and a fair few step up.

Teague was a poor coach but IMO it's been used as a bit of an excuse. The players out there for most of it didn't defend and didn't compete and not because of coaching but because of lacking ability or the will to do so. SPS is gone and he was one of the worst offenders. IMO the next few years may very well be the last for O'Brien, Fisher, Dow, Kennedy, Newnes, Cuningham and Setterfield. A lot of these players are one way players who aren't hard enough, lack the ability to defend/pressure or don't compete to the level required. Plenty of offensive talent but the other half of their game is missing. Some of those players have the ability but just aren't hard enough, some of them try really hard but lack the ability and to be a top AFL club you have to have a team of players who do both. Attack, defend and compete like mad.

One of my biggest criticisms of SOS' time as a recruiter was that he did draft very talented and skillful players however many of them lack competitiveness and that will to go hard at the contest over and over again. If you look at GWS, the other list he put together they are much the same. Bucket loads of talent and offensively gifted players who fall apart when the going gets tough and the heat turns up because they lack that killer competitive drive. Sometimes you can develop this in players but you need strong leadership and culture and we have lacked this as well.

IF there's a choice of only 2 of Cripps/Kennedy/Dow due to the defensive issues you've outlined, then I'd rather keep Kennedy in the team.

He's smarter, better mark, better link man, genuine threat for goal. Dow has superior clearance ability and pace, but also has more defiencies in his game.

This was my thought as well. We have actually done pretty well the last few years when Cripps has missed games and Kennedy has come in. I still think that at his best Cripps is the superior player but if he isn't playing well and Kennedy is then we are better with Kennedy.

LOB needs to get “behind the goal” footage of GF and watch it every day focussing on Langdon.

That’s what the team need from him.

He has all the attributes - needs to get fit and deliver every week.
O'Brien is super fit - one of the best runners at the club. There's a whole lot of issues about where he runs and how he fits in the game plan IMO.

Cripps and Kennedy without a doubt. Its not even a contest.

All valid points... this sounds like a cop out by me, but injuries played a large part in 2021.

I've done my best 22 vs our RD23 teams - and I had 10 players to come in!
10 - that's a fair few ins't it?

Sure, a new coach and a different game plan is important
But, just as important is having most of our best 22 available and injury free - this would go a long way to help those fringe players - their weaknesses won't be exposed as much

Last edited:
All valid points... this sounds like a copy out by me, but injuries played a large part in 2021.

I've done my best 22 vs our RD23 teams - and I had 10 players to come in!
10 - that's a fair few ins't it?

Sure, a new coach and a different game plan is important
But, just as important is having most of our best 22 available and injury free - this would go a long way to help those fringe players - their weaknesses won't be exposed as much

you're right and I reckon big changes are on the cards for us.

R23 team
B: Plowman Weitering kemp
HB: Saad Stocker Newman
C: Newnes Cripps O'Brien
HF: McGovern Curnow Curnow
F: Betts Casboult Honey
OB: DeKoning Kennedy Walsh
IC: Fogarty Fisher Durdin Williamson

My Best 22

B: McGovern Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad Jones Williams
C: Kemp Cripps Philp
HF Martin Curnow Honey
F: Silvagni McKay Durdin
OB: DeKoning Walsh Cerra
IC: Newman (Back) Hewett (mid) Stocker (mid) Owies (F)

next in line:
Small defender: Williamson
Medium defender/3rd tall: Marchbank
Onballer: Kennedy or Curnow
Wing: O'Brien, Cuningham or Carroll
Small forward: Fisher
Tall Forward: DeKoning (Pittonet to ruck) or Young
Medium Forward: Kemp

New players coming in and coming on as well as fit players is super important. Hopefully have a quicker and more competitive team, particularly in the midfield. I like the idea of Cerra, Hewett and Stocker thrown into our midfield mix and what Kemp and Philp may be able to do if they play to their potential on a wing. I really like the idea of having a quick defence that can mark the ball and is strong at ground level and is supported by a quicker more competitive midfield. I like the idea of a quicker more defensive forward line that's both strong in the air and hard at it on the ground.

Midfield influences how the forward line and how the backline goes. An attacking backline is going to have a good time of it with the ball going in under pressure a lot. The forward line is going to go well with good delivery and if the forwards can apply pressure and lock the ball in more then the midfield will get to rest more and defend more effectively.

More speed, more class, more physicality, higher intensity in the mifield and we will go a long way.

you're right and I reckon big changes are on the cards for us.

R23 team
B: Plowman Weitering kemp
HB: Saad Stocker Newman
C: Newnes Cripps O'Brien
HF: McGovern Curnow Curnow
F: Betts Casboult Honey
OB: DeKoning Kennedy Walsh
IC: Fogarty Fisher Durdin Williamson

My Best 22

B: McGovern Weitering Docherty
HB: Saad Jones Williams
C: Kemp Cripps Philp
HF Martin Curnow Honey
F: Silvagni McKay Durdin
OB: DeKoning Walsh Cerra
IC: Newman (Back) Hewett (mid) Stocker (mid) Owies (F)

next in line:
Small defender: Williamson
Medium defender/3rd tall: Marchbank
Onballer: Kennedy or Curnow
Wing: O'Brien, Cuningham or Carroll
Small forward: Fisher
Tall Forward: DeKoning (Pittonet to ruck) or Young
Medium Forward: Kemp

New players coming in and coming on as well as fit players is super important. Hopefully have a quicker and more competitive team, particularly in the midfield. I like the idea of Cerra, Hewett and Stocker thrown into our midfield mix and what Kemp and Philp may be able to do if they play to their potential on a wing. I really like the idea of having a quick defence that can mark the ball and is strong at ground level and is supported by a quicker more competitive midfield. I like the idea of a quicker more defensive forward line that's both strong in the air and hard at it on the ground.

Midfield influences how the forward line and how the backline goes. An attacking backline is going to have a good time of it with the ball going in under pressure a lot. The forward line is going to go well with good delivery and if the forwards can apply pressure and lock the ball in more then the midfield will get to rest more and defend more effectively.

More speed, more class, more physicality, higher intensity in the mifield and we will go a long way.
It's an interesting exercise isn't it?

No matter what your best 22 is, RD23 2021 team is so far behind it - it's not funny.
Tell me how we are not final bounds if we have a bit of luck with injury in 2022 :D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back