Mini-list cleanout needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he turned the corner v Sydney (Redden)

Turns out that was a false dawn and around that corner was a wall

TdDXCNF1N93gEvQ7cQ_BDpF0Xo7Ek2JP5uLPl9dNCBqBtvPWfN_c5999KF-li9j2BPYE_PjvjjrfXmY_WehO383hG_pWnBUeskQ0ZhJq1kwF_dJtug=w200-h200-nc

Priddis - RETIRE. Needs to retire tomorrow
Masten - TRADE - was dropped. About time
Redden - DELIST. was dropped. Never return
Butler - RETIRE. still needs to retire
Gaff - TRADE. Still feel justified
Darling - TRADE. Still feel justified
Updated. Our match committee is finally waking up and smelling the coffee

On notice:
Sheed - has proved me wrong. Get some consistency in last half of season.
Duggan - adds to the rot in the middle
LeCras - selfish brittle hasbeen. Needs to retire.
After todays game the kids the WAFL need get between 6-10 games each in the 2nd half of the season. The rebuild is real. Unfortunately Kennedy will probably be too old to have another crack at a premiership. Hopefully Shuey and NicNat can ride out the trough.

Priddis - RETIRE. Well past it.
Masten - TRADE - too weak, too slow, and disposal is not good enough to make up for his lack of physical attributes
Redden - DELIST. barely WAFL reserves quality. Wont get anything in a trade.
Butler - RETIRE. Too old, too slow.
Gaff - TRADE. Probably an unpopular opinion. Has no right foot. Too soft. Too slow. Should compete in marathons not play footy. Could get something decent for him.
Darling - TRADE. Dont let his joe the goose goal stats fool you. Has reached his potential and its not good enough. Could get something decent for him.

On notice:
Sheed - no speed, doesnt find enough of the pill. Doesnt impact games.
Duggan - another plodder. Also doesnt find enough of the ball. Had 2 hard contested plays in his first season and everyone fell in love. Very slow. Better disposal than Priddis his only saving grace.
LeCras - so ****in selfish inside F50m.

Untouchables:
Shuey
NicNat
Nelson
Yeo
McGovern
JK
Barrass

Lets see what Venables, Karpany, el al have. Lets get games into them.

Agree with this list, Darling and Gaff have currency.. Might as well cash in like we could have McKenzie. I'd chuck LeCras on the gone list though. I'd also take Sheed and Duggan off from On Notice, need a couple more years. Would chuck Wellingham and Hill on there though.

Masten has an excellent right foot passing kick which is why he made it. Is also quite fit but anyone can develop fitness I guess.
Darling is a good 2nd forward. He just makes some very dumb mistakes and never seems to learn from them. Also seems to choke under pressure. Why has this not been coached out of him?

Duggan is a spud. No speed. No strength. Kicking is average (supposed to be his strength). Has no great attributes.

To me it seems like coaches have been really poor. Which players have improved over the last 4-5 years other than draftees?

Can't agree with you about Masten , he was in the top 3 of the Comp last year being caught holding the ball , he continually Fks up passages of play and turns the ball over granted he does have a fair right foot but I think he blows it more often than not
He's the best player on the training track but can't carry it onto game day unfortunately ,he is not our future IMO

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Retire:
  • Lecras
  • Butler
  • Petrie
Trade/Free Agency:
  • Masten
  • Mackenzie?
Relegate to DEPTH ONLY:
  • Priddis
  • Hutchings
  • Redden
  • Vardy
  • Schofield
  • Hill
Needs to lift or risk being traded:
  • Wellingham
  • Gaff
  • Cripps
  • Duggan
  • Darling
Bring into B22:
  • Naitanui
  • Lycett
  • Rioli
  • Venables
  • Partington
  • M gov ;)

yeah but we have too many front runners.

The wingmen of the 92 and 94 premiership years were Matera and Mainwaring and neither of those were front running. Matera would get his own hard ball, while Mainy would help out in defense. 06 premiership Braun was tough as nails on the wing, and Embley would run back with the flight of the ball to take marks. Our current wingmen put in piss weak efforts when the game is on the line.

As for comparing Darling to premiership half-forwards of 92, 94 and 06, its a bit harder, but what ive seen of Darling in big moments makes me vomit.

Our forward line in 05/06 kinda sucked. Luckily our mids kicked a lot of goals and supplied so much footy we got away with it most of the time.

92-94 era. Half forwards were guys like Heady, Lewis, Wilson, Langdon. Three of those guys would make you hear footsteps on top of being big time players and Heady was/is extremely under-rated these days IMO. Heady had sublime skills and hard as a cats head if not an aggressor like the others. This current crop isn't fit to lace their boots.

Retire:
  • Lecras
  • Butler
  • Petrie
Trade/Free Agency:
  • Masten
  • Mackenzie?
Relegate to DEPTH ONLY:
  • Priddis
  • Hutchings
  • Redden
  • Vardy
  • Schofield
  • Hill
Needs to lift or risk being traded:
  • Wellingham
  • Gaff
  • Cripps
  • Duggan
  • Darling
Bring into B22:
  • Naitanui
  • Lycett
  • Rioli
  • Venables
  • Partington
  • M gov ;)
Right, so of the current 25 making up the team and emergencies (which is theoretically the best 25 available) you want to move on 10 and replace with 6 which considering trading another 5.

You do realise that would mean we need another 9 players just to fill the 22 and 3 emergencies. Where do you propose they appear from?

I don't think replacing one third of the team with makeup players from 2nd tier leagues is the path to success. Recent history suggests that'll basically make you uncompetitive for a season, and unlike Essendon we won't have the luxury of 15 AFL players available the following year.

We have had a fair bit of a cleanup over the lat few years but we don't need to go overboard like people have suggested,

Delist/Retire

- Petrie
- Mitchell
- Giles
- Butler
- Lecra
- Hill
- Snadden

That is 7 spots already.

I can then see one of Emac wanting to explore his options so that is 9 players.

We will still need depth so to me players like Masten, Schofield , Redden & Hutchings will either be in the best 22 or in the WAFL. We just need to get some games into Venebles, Mutimer, Karpany, Waterman, Allen, Partington and Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petrie was only here because Naitanui and Lycett nuked their knees and we badly needed some ruck stocks. So once they're back I'm sure he and probably Giles will be gone. Mitchell I assumed was only ever going to play an extra year with us depended on where we finished this year. If we were top 2/4 and pushing hard for the premiership then he probably would've been willing to go on another year, but since we'll probably be finishing middle of the road this year and for the foreseeable future then he probably will just retire at the end of the season and get into coaching.

Gaff turns 26 tomorrow, would you try and trade him to Carlton for Cripps who just turned 22 a couple months ago? We aren't winning a flag with this group as it's currently constructed so that would be something to think about.

Source out what you can try and get for Mackenzie, play Barrass the rest of the way, Butler pretty much needs to retire so Cole assumes the back pocket position for now. We have so little depth in so many positions guys like Hill and LeCras SHOULD be feeling pressure from the younger guys coming up but they're often injured or just going in the WAFL that those guys retain their spots by default.

Some mongrel in the middle would be f*cking ideal...I miss the Brisbane Lions version of Redden...

Petrie was only here because Naitanui and Lycett nuked their knees and we badly needed some ruck stocks.
TBH he's one of the rare few in the side that plays with any intent and passion for the club. He's 34 and from North. Shows where we are at.

IMO the main issue with the midfield is that you have three players (Gaff, Mitchell and Priddis) who basically have no defensive game. Footage repeatedly shows them being unwilling to run back after a costly turnover, they are fairly slow, and can any of us really say that in a 1 on 1 situation where an opp player has the ball, can we be confident these players would be able to win?

Ideally you would only want one, and out of the three I would pick Gaff since he is the youngest and is a talent link player who can gut run to get in the right position for the pressure-relieving kick when one of our guys is in trouble. Mitchell should be moved into coaching (he's not a bad player he's just getting too old) and Priddis shouldn't have been re-signed (been on a downward trend for a few years now). The removal of Priddis and Mitchell, as well as the 2 mill increase in the cap, would/would've given us the opportunity to go and recruit a decent youngster or two from another club. Even just these slight changes I think would drastically change the dynamic of the midfield;

HB: Nelson, McGovern, Johannisen
C: Gaff, Yeo, P.Cripps
Fol: Naitanui, Shuey, Sheed
HF: Karpany, Darling, Jetta

Int: Duggan

Right, so of the current 25 making up the team and emergencies (which is theoretically the best 25 available) you want to move on 10 and replace with 6 which considering trading another 5.

You do realise that would mean we need another 9 players just to fill the 22 and 3 emergencies. Where do you propose they appear from?

I don't think replacing one third of the team with makeup players from 2nd tier leagues is the path to success. Recent history suggests that'll basically make you uncompetitive for a season, and unlike Essendon we won't have the luxury of 15 AFL players available the following year.
Debatable whether those players are even best 22 anymore, and regardless if we hold onto the deadwood any longer like we have this year, we're going to be uncompetitive again next year, so what difference does it really make if we drop a bit further short term when we will gain in the long term? We're currently sitting 9th. To be honest, I don't even think we will drop if we were to make the required changes, most of the guys I mentioned are clearly past it and only a mediocre club would desperately cling onto them trying to make it work, when it clearly hasn't worked for the last 10 years. It's time for change. Which retirements/relegations to depth can you honestly argue against?

best 22 should look like this ideally next year:
B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Yeo Jgov Nelson
C: Gaff Mitchell Venables
HF: Jetta Mgov Darling
F: Rioli Kennedy Cripps
R: Naitanui Shuey Sheed
I: Lycett Cole/Wellingham Partington Duggan

Butler out for Cole, Which has already happened
Masten out for Venables, which apparently would have already happened if DV didn't injure himself
Vardy out for Nic Nat, which will happen by default
Mackenzie isn't even best 22 anymore, will go out for Lycett
Schofield will go out for Kennedy
Petrie out for M gov
Hutchings is never going to be best 22 material, It's time Parto atleast got given a crack

The players on notice or risk being traded doesn't necessarily mean this year. I still think they can come good and should be given the chance to do so, but we need to draw the line at some point.

Agree, it's just the volume of change you suggest very rarely happens in one off-season. Especially to 'senior' players.
The high volume I've suggested wouldn't be required if it was done bit by bit as it was due to happen, yet we still have a bunch of senior players stinking it up week after week with no real signs of change. If Pyke or Bevo were at the helm, Priddis, Lecras and co. would be having a stint in the 2's, and probably would be told if they'd like to stay on next year it'd be purely as depth.

I really fail to see why we should pursue MMcGov when Vardy is going pretty well and Lamb is developing.

JJK, Vardy, Darling, Lycett, Naita, JmcGov, Barrass is a pretty handy set of KPPs. Retain Schofield for KPD depth, retain Lamb and Mallen to develop plus whatever other tall spuds we have in the pantry/draft. I honestly think we can play 7 talls with a different mix of smaller players - ie some pace and some ground ball skills. Vardy or the resting ruck can handle the knocks at stoppages in the F50 and our ruckman can position better to impact those relieving kicks from the defence...instead of having Sheppard and Hurn trying to outmark the Danihers/Lobbs etc of the worlds.

Vardy is 4 years younger than JJK and a viable proposition to cover that role in due course, albeit not to the same heights.

I really fail to see why we should pursue MMcGov when Vardy is going pretty well and Lamb is developing.

JJK, Vardy, Darling, Lycett, Naita, JmcGov, Barrass is a pretty handy set of KPPs. Retain Schofield for KPD depth, retain Lamb and Mallen to develop plus whatever other tall spuds we have in the pantry/draft. I honestly think we can play 7 talls with a different mix of smaller players - ie some pace and some ground ball skills. Vardy or the resting ruck can handle the knocks at stoppages in the F50 and our ruckman can position better to impact those relieving kicks from the defence...instead of having Sheppard and Hurn trying to outmark the Danihers/Lobbs etc of the worlds.

Vardy is 4 years younger than JJK and a viable proposition to cover that role in due course, albeit not to the same heights.
Vardy is going pretty well playing predominantly ruck, we wouldn't be recruiting M Gov to play ruck? JK has a few years left at high performance best case scenario, Darling has failed to fulfill his potential to this point and doesn't play like a number 1 KPF, Lamb and Allen have shown exactly 0 at AFL level and even if they do, they won't be breaking games open for a while yet, and that's IF. M Gov apparently wants to come home, and is out of contract so Adelaide won't be able to demand too much in return, no reason we shouldn't go after him if the price is right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back