Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Pardon the completely uninspiring thread title, happy to hear alternative suggestions.

OK, I feel like this is somewhat overdue, and after browsing other teams boards and seeing the success of these types of threads I've gone and created this.

This is for questions/musings that don't deserve their own threads but nevertheless generate robust discussion. If you're unsure whether something warrants its own thread then play it safe and post here, if there are topics that are particularly engrossing then I'm happy for them to branch off into a dedicated thread.

No real rules for this thread as of yet except for one- whatever you post make it about Freo.

Sorry for botching the last one btw.

Mr Peabody

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yarran is poetry in motion when on the run, a joy to behold. Brings back memories of Garry Dhurrkay at his silky best.

Woah - that's a big call. The jury is still out for me as to whether this Shane is going to be quite brilliant and whether he possesses the chops of Gary Dhurrkay (RIP). One of Gary's enduring moments was best captured by the wordsmith Matt Price (RIP) in Chapter 1 of his epic book 'Way to Go':-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a favourite Fremantle moment.

The Dockers are playing the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval on a beautiful sunny, winter's day in July 1997. Gary Dhurrkay, an Aboriginal footballer who played with rare skills and even rarer consistency, gathers the ball in the Dockers' back pocket. He finds himself in plenty of space, with just one Bulldog opponent - from memory it's Paul Dimmatina - to beat.

It's a classic stand-off situation common to almost any game of Australian Rules. Dimmatina doesn't want to commit to a tackle for fear of being sidestepped by the man with the ball. Dhurrkay sends a split second weighting up his options, wondering about the best way to elude Dhurrkay and propel the Sherrin out of the Dockers' danger zone.

There are three obvious avenues forward. Dhurrkay can choose to kick or handball further down the field. He can attempt to duck around Dimmatina to the left, boundary side of the contest. Or he can try to cut inside and send the ball back down the corridor.

Naturally, Dhurrkay chooses none of the above. Instead, much to the befuddlement of Dimmatina, Dhurrkay runs straight at him. Years later, I can still the stunned look on the Bulldog player's eyes. Dimmatina is clearly unprepared for such an audacious departure from the norm, and can't come to his senses quickly enough to lay a tackle. Dhurrkay bounces off his wrong-footed opponent and ambles casually out of defence.

Laugh, we nearly wet our pants.

For me, this golden moment symbolises the enduring attraction of the Dockers. Unorthodoxy mixed with madness mixed with caprice. On the occasion, Dhurrkay got out of jail. Lord knows, even a mug punter wins occasionally.

As loyal Dockers' fans understand, there here have been thousands of similarly magnificent and crazed incidents during our formulative years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
For me, this golden moment symbolises the enduring attraction of the Dockers. Unorthodoxy mixed with madness mixed with caprice. On the occasion, Dhurrkay got out of jail. Lord knows, even a mug punter wins occasionally.
Good quote Mr Peabody ....
Matty Price...a fella who understood and felt the soul and kernel of our club so well.Knew it was a fair bit more than how many KPP were drafted before pick 100.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Love it or hate it foot soldier do their job well for home and away season. Now looking forward to foot soldier with some flair for final series.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
So... Is this the thread where all the Bond-is-s**t posts go to Die?

"We do a lot right,' Lyon said.

"We finished top of the ladder, won 17 games, in it up to our necks but have fallen short. We're building. I want to evolve."
Seems very clear to me!
Alternately supporters can 'cry-wank' (thanks Sweetback nice term accurate and resonates) but the reality is undeniable we've made blues and are getting stronger by the minnit.
Unable to follow how a supposed supporter would choose to focus on the historical performance and errors of other regimes in an attempt to slag the club as it is today.
Drongos I guess.
Piddlers.
Wuckfits.
They do seem to confuse the mods.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
"We do a lot right,' Lyon said.

"We finished top of the ladder, won 17 games, in it up to our necks but have fallen short. We're building. I want to evolve."
Seems very clear to me!
Alternately supporters can 'cry-wank' but the reality is undeniable we've made blues and are getting stronger by the minnit.
Unable to follow how a supposed supporter would choose to focus on the historical performance and errors of other regimes in an attempt to slag the club as it is today.
Drongos I guess.

And then, there are supporters like Silent Alarm. (I won't summon him, don't worry.)

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I keep seeing Freo fringe players at fringe shows

I've been going since 2013 and I've always seen MDB and Mzungu going to shows. Always. This year I saw them both plus Tabs.

I don't think I've ever seen any eagles players out and about but I think they are all restricted to day passes now

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I keep seeing Freo fringe players at fringe shows

I've been going since 2013 and I've always seen MDB and Mzungu going to shows. Always. This year I saw them both plus Tabs.

I don't think I've ever seen any eagles players out and about but I think they are all restricted to day passes now
At least D.Pearce got 50/50 of fan base, no wonder his performance in 2015 also like that , first 8 or 9 game accurately inside 50 , second half season booming inside 50. D.Pearce fan don't point finger at me Ross mention our 2015 second half performance in freo website .

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
Well said about the Bondy is s**t posts so I will not need to access this thread.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Woah - that's a big call. The jury is still out for me as to whether this Shane is going to be quite brilliant and whether he possesses the chops of Gary Dhurrkay (RIP). One of Gary's enduring moments was best captured by the wordsmith Matt Price (RIP) in Chapter 1 of his epic book 'Way to Go':-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a favourite Fremantle moment.

The Dockers are playing the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval on a beautiful sunny, winter's day in July 1997. Gary Dhurrkay, an Aboriginal footballer who played with rare skills and even rarer consistency, gathers the ball in the Dockers' back pocket. He finds himself in plenty of space, with just one Bulldog opponent - from memory it's Paul Dimmatina - to beat.

It's a classic stand-off situation common to almost any game of Australian Rules. Dimmatina doesn't want to commit to a tackle for fear of being sidestepped by the man with the ball. Dhurrkay sends a split second weighting up his options, wondering about the best way to elude Dhurrkay and propel the Sherrin out of the Dockers' danger zone.

There are three obvious avenues forward. Dhurrkay can choose to kick or handball further down the field. He can attempt to duck around Dimmatina to the left, boundary side of the contest. Or he can try to cut inside and send the ball back down the corridor.

Naturally, Dhurrkay chooses none of the above. Instead, much to the befuddlement of Dimmatina, Dhurrkay runs straight at him. Years later, I can still the stunned look on the Bulldog player's eyes. Dimmatina is clearly unprepared for such an audacious departure from the norm, and can't come to his senses quickly enough to lay a tackle. Dhurrkay bounces off his wrong-footed opponent and ambles casually out of defence.

Laugh, we nearly wet our pants.

As loyal Dockers' fans understand, there here have been thousands of similarly magnificent and crazed incidents during our formulative years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great stuff. I also have a similar story of Freo unorthodoxy, as with all the great stories I can't remember all the facts.

It was 2015 and we were playing Collingwood (I think), a ball up on a wing and Sandi was able to tap the ball into some space just outside of the congestion. Suban gathered the loose ball....... He had a few options but he had to decide quickly. Should he throw the ball on his boot and move the ball down the line quickly, perhaps fire out a quick handball to one of our other midielders or maybe try a line breaking run himself.

All viable options but just like Dhurrkay our Suban is cut from a different cloth. Much to the surprise of not just the opposition player but to all watchers of AFL Suban decided to try and use his head as a battering ram. He bent over and lined his head with the sternum of the opposition player and charged with all his might.

A fraction of a second after impact a few things happened, as Suban fell to the ground near unconscious he had a revelation realising that Hilly would never have chosen this course of action, Ross muttered to no one in particular that Suban was quite brilliant and I stood up and loudly proclaimed that Suban had killed himself.

As is sometimes the case with the craziest of actions Suban managed to walk away miraculously unharmed but with some wise words now imprinted in his mind just above the point of impact. Words that every Freo player should think "What would Hilly do?"

True story.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great stuff. I also have a similar story of Freo unorthodoxy, as with all the great stories I can't remember all the facts.

It was 2015 and we were playing Collingwood (I think), a ball up on a wing and Sandi was able to tap the ball into some space just outside of the congestion. Suban gathered the loose ball....... He had a few options but he had to decide quickly. Should he throw the ball on his boot and move the ball down the line quickly, perhaps fire out a quick handball to one of our other midielders or maybe try a line breaking run himself.

All viable options but just like Dhurrkay our Suban is cut from a different cloth. Much to the surprise of not just the opposition player but to all watchers of AFL Suban decided to try and use his head as a battering ram. He bent over and lined his head with the sternum of the opposition player and charged with all his might.

A fraction of a second after impact a few things happened, as Suban fell to the ground near unconscious he had a revelation realising that Hilly would never have chosen this course of action, Ross muttered to no one in particular that Suban was quite brilliant and I stood up and loudly proclaimed that Suban had killed himself.

As is sometimes the case with the craziest of actions Suban managed to walk away miraculously unharmed but with some wise words now imprinted in his mind just above the point of impact. Words that every Freo player should think "What would Hilly do?"

True story.
Suban you are a rare headless beast.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it about time that we got rid of those silly massive blow up anchors at Subi?
Nooooooooo.
The jumper has changed (for the best), gone are the drums ( liked the drums), gone is the sea container and the anchor pull (thank God).
But please leave the big over the top anchors, they are so bad - they are cool.
Every club needs something to stop it looking bland, even Carlton games would be watchable if they still had the Blue Birds.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Drums are only gone because some opposition fans complained about them being intimidating iirc

The drums we had were ****ing awesome

I'm not going to say who cried about it but their team wears yellow and blue and their mascot is a bird and they're NOT from South Australia

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Talking about big birds, do they still make that poor giant budgie fly around before games or has the RSPCA stept in.

True story.
IIRC it was Norf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back