son of dominator

All Australian
Nov 12, 2009
tell you then kill you
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Liverpool
As I was getting out of the car to go into work SEN were about to interview Andy McKay about an injury setback to Luke Mitchell. I didn't get to hear the interview.

Did anyone hear it or know anything about it?

Talking about it in the training thread.

He has confirmed via twitter that he went under the knife, but we don't know for sure the severity.

One poster claims it is a full shoulder reconstruction.

Mitchell's tweets seem to indicate it wasn't as serious as that, but nothing confirmed.

Here's hoping.....

Delete thread? Well he definitely had surgery and is out until at least early in the season. I for one don't think we'll see him playing to his full potential until 2013. Big blow

Delete thread? Well he definitely had surgery and is out until at least early in the season. I for one don't think we'll see him playing to his full potential until 2013. Big blow

At the time it hadn't been confirmed and we were discussing it in the training thread. Mitchell stated it was a clean up but the recent news changes that.

Yeah thanks chipzac. No pressure on me at all is there? :)

I think we may have several reports here come Friday, which would be terrific.

It would be great if that happens but I won't count on it.
No pressure at all, but on Friday, I do expect you to let us know who will be our CHF for this year. Also, how about starting a new thread titled, "The Harker Reports" :)

No worries mate....the injury at the very least was confirmed by Squid last night.

The 16 weeks that goreds mentioned seems about right, full reco methinks. At least he won't injure it again :|

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they will place him on the LTI?

I also wonder if Casboult will seize this opportunity.

If he is indeed eligible to go on the LTI list, I don't see why they wouldn't place him there.

Whether or not they nominate a rookie upgrade in his place is a different issue.

I like the idea of leaving that open, at least initially. Gives more incentive for the non-nominated rookies to have a red hot go.

Casboult would be behind Rowe and Hampson, I'm honestly surprised he's still on the rookie list to be perfectly honest.

People expecting him to step up are setting themselves up for disappointment. His poor mobility along with his awful kicking action simply won't do playing as an AFL forward.

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but it'd take a marked improvement over last year for him to come close to warranting a spot in the seniors.

Casboult would be behind Rowe and Hampson, I'm honestly surprised he's still on the rookie list to be perfectly honest.

People expecting him to step up are setting themselves up for disappointment. His poor mobility along with his awful kicking action simply won't do playing as an AFL forward.

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but it'd take a marked improvement over last year for him to come close to warranting a spot in the seniors.

But Tom Hawkins is a premiership forward...

No worries mate....the injury at the very least was confirmed by Squid last night.

The 16 weeks that goreds mentioned seems about right, full reco methinks. At least he won't injure it again :|

I see, the first I'd heard of it was this morning.

Why wasn't the 'Walker surgery' done when he had his last reco?

There doesn't seem to be any negatives with Walker's surgery given that it was supposed to give him limited movement above his head. He seems to be marking the ball as well as ever.

Just shattered for the kid, it seems as though every time he gets going his body fails him.

Another thing, why did Luke himself say it was just a clean out? I don't really know exactly what a clean out involves but it hardly sounds serious.

Heard the mckay interview on SEN and he said he had a reco on his right shoulder and will miss between 12-16 weeks. Says there is still 8-9 weeks till round 1 so should be back playing footy around round 4-8. Would think if he plays seniors it will be towrds the end of the season.

Apparently had the right shoulder reconstructed in 2010, the left last year and the right again this year. Definetly has some serious issues with the shoulders. Hopefully this surgery works better and we can get him playing good footy.

Mckay also said the afl study from 2009-2011 shows there are alot more shoulder injuries than the past due to the contested nature of the game and faster game, hence more body contact at a faster pace.

Thanks for letting us know what McKay said this morning, FRUMPY.

That being the case, I'd almost say I hope to not see him in Navy Blue in 2012.

With a 12-16 week injury, I'd hope the club errs on the side of caution and takes a little longer than absolutely necessary. At the end of the day we have to remember that we drafted Luke as a long term prospect, rather than someone that can step up straight away and have an impact.

16 weeks takes us to mid-May. That roughly translates to round 6 or 7.

Given the circumstances, I'd probably favour us not playing him at all in the seniors in 2012. Gently ease him back into action in the VFL or even the VFL reserves. Let him build his form, fitness and confidence up in the lower leagues, then attack next preseason with the same enthusiasm as he did this one, gearing himself up for a red hot crack at senior action early in 2013.

There's simply no point rushing him. As much as we'd like him to have an impact, he's a 10 year investment that has had a number of major issues with his shoulders. Tread with caution.

As I said previously, a real shame considering the waves he's apparently been making at training. I'm sure we all wish him nothing but the smoothest recovery possible from this latest setback. :thumbsu:

Looking forward to the hero who picks a name out of a hat and posts "We should have drafted "name out of a hat* instead of Mitchell". This should occur shortly or after the two year cooling off period ends. :eek:

I hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking good for Mitchell. :(

Someone on TC already compared him to Hartlett :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back