Draft Watcher ModernArtillery 2021 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any concerns about how his height translates at AFL level? Do you think he'll be able to play on second and third talls? Or mediums?
This is something I’ve considered too. Have you seen any of his school games? Tearing it up for Scotch and kicking a lot of goals - 9 in one and 11 in another. Can flexibility as switch hitter add to hi s kit bag ?

This is something I’ve considered too. Have you seen any of his school games? Tearing it up for Scotch and kicking a lot of goals - 9 in one and 11 in another. Can flexibility as switch hitter add to hi s kit bag ?

I haven't seen any of his school games but had seen that he'd had some big outings. Those bags are pretty impressive. I think that swingman flexibility is something that recruiters will definitely be aware of, although I don't think it necessarily makes him any more appealing as a prospect as I feel it's more a "nice to have" skill rather than one that gets you drafted. I view it differently to a midfielder that can go forward or play across half back. Ultimately I think clubs will make the assessment on whether they see him succeeding at AFL level as either a forward or as a defender (and I'm sure some recruiters would differ at where they say his best position).

August 3 Draft Board
Starting to fill out my draft board now with a few more additions and some slight changes. Still pretty light on the WA kids but once I get through some more game footage I imagine I'll start to fit some in. I'm working through an early two round phantom at the moment too so should have that out shortly.

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Tyler Sonsie
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Josh Goater
7. Sam Darcy
8. Josh Ward
9. Connor MacDonald
10. Matthew Johnson
11. Finn Callaghan
12. Jacob Van Rooyen
13. Josh Rachele

14. Tom Brown
Tom Brown is a complete footballer who does just about everything at a high level. He's super smooth, never rushed and it always feels like he's in control when he has the ball in his hands. He's a good disposer by hand and foot and has an accurate, penetrating kick. He's strong one on one and in the contest, he's capable of winning the contested footy but then accumulates well on the outside. He appears a great leader across half back but looks capable as a winger or midfielder at the next level. I see shades of Dan Houston in his game and think he's a very safe selection to be a good AFL player.

15. Mitch Owens
16. Matthew Roberts
17. Hugh Jackson

18. Josh Gibcus
It's taken me some time but I'm finally on the Gibcus bandwagon. I get Jake Lever vibes watching him play as he's a capable stopper but his biggest asset is when he can run and jump at the footy and intercept. He's a pretty special vertical athlete and moves across the ground really smoothly for a kid his size. He has a long, penetrating kick but becoming more consistent by foot would help him become more damaging as a rebounder. I think he's a few years in the system away from impacting at AFL level but I think he's more than capable of having an AFL career.

19. Darcy Wilmot
20. Paul Curtis
21. James Willis

22. Kai Lohmann
I'm really optimistic about what Lohmann can bring to an AFL side. He has good speed and pace on the outside and is super active as a pressure half forward. He can push up the ground too and have an influence in the contest where he's willing to put his head over it or lay a strong tackle. He's competitive in the air and is more than capable of sitting on someone's shoulders. His follow up work is really good too and he applies a lot of pressure once the ball hits the deck. He hits the contest hard with speed, is really good below his knees and then is a capable user on the outside. I feel he has a lot of AFL traits that will give him every chance of being successful at AFL level.

23. Josh Sinn

24. Jamieson Ballantyne
I think Ballantyne has all the tools necessary to be a successful winger at AFL level. He's got the physical profile with good size, speed and agility. He's really capable both offensively and defensively in the air, where he'll fly for his marks but is also comfortable helping out and spoiling in defence. His use by foot is solid and his decision making is sound. He's tough in the contest too and is willing to put his head over the footy when it's his turn to go. I really like the way he covers the ground and can impact the game at both ends and that effort and athleticism can certainly translate to the next level.

25. Mitch Knevitt

26. Zac Taylor
Taylor is a really clever midfielder that finds plenty of the footy and distributes it cleanly by hand and foot to teammates in space. He always seems to be able to create time and space for himself with his evasiveness and then is really crafty with the ball in hand. He's a good decision maker and seems to get good value for his possessions. I'd like to see him spend a little more time forward and see if he can have a consistent impact there as that's probably where he'll likely spend some time at AFL level should he get the opportunity.

27. Arlo Draper
Draper has all the tools to make it at AFL level. He's physically gifted and has plenty of natural talent. It feels unfair to question his motor given that I don't know him personally and haven't worked with him but the drive and competitiveness you like to see isn't particularly evident on the field. He could just be a super laid back kid so I don't want to hang my assessment solely on that. I like his versatility as he's spent time at both ends of the ground and through the midfield and been able to have a big impact at U18 level wherever he's played. His tools are really appealing and if he puts it together he could be a really good AFL player.

28. Cooper Murley
Murley has a heap of talent and is a super skilled footballer. He's a good ball winner at stoppage and exits it at speed. His speed doesn't prevent him from hitting kicks on the move as he is pretty classy by foot. I think his frame perhaps limits his scope as a midfielder at AFL level but I feel confident in projecting an Orazio Fantasia level career. His weapons and skill set in the right system should allow him to have an AFL career.

I've spent the last two weeks catching up on as much WA vision as possible and while I've still got a fair way to go I thought I'd provide a brief update with some of my early thoughts on a few of those prospects.

Jacob Van Rooyen
I was really optimistic about JVR coming into this season and despite posting some impressive numbers the last few weeks he's been on a little slide down my draft board. I think his physical profile limits his upside to an extent and see him at best as a second or third best key tall in an AFL 22. I see him finding success as that high motor CHF who covers the ground and over-works his defender. His ground ball work is solid and he's still more than capable as a goal kicker inside forward 50. I just fear he lacks the size and explosive athleticism that some of the up and coming young key forwards from earlier drafts possess and I think that may limit his potential at AFL level.

Jye Amiss
Amiss has hardly put a foot wrong this year and has kicked something like 49.12 from his dozen WAFL Colts games this year. He's a good size at 195cm and though not a big frame there's still enough strength to create separation at Colts level. He's good on the lead, competent below his knees and just has really good forward craft. He rarely wastes opportunities and doesn't need a great deal of the footy to impact the scoreboard. I kind of see him as a taller Bayley Fritsch and think they share some fairly similar traits.

Josh Browne
Browne is a high level first possession winner at Colts level. He's not an overly special athlete but he consistently wins the footy at stoppage and finds teammates on the outside with clean hands. He is primarily a disposer by hand and does his best work this way. He's a good tackler and quality competitor. His growth needs to come in his kicking and impact per possession and ultimately I think that will determine his success at AFL level as I don't feel he has the versatility to settle into another position. I think he's somewhat in that Rhys Mathieson mold and if given the opportunity I see him developing into a depth midfielder at AFL level.

Kade Dittmar
Dittmar is a physically developed midfielder who like Browne, is an elite first possession winner at Colts level. Also not blessed with great speed or athleticism, Dittmar uses his strength and burst to great effect at stoppage where he wins a lot of the footy. He seems to work pretty hard to get to repeat stoppages so he's constantly finding a way to get involved. One of the things that often limits these high production, first possession winning mids is their versatility and ability to play other roles, which is something that I think will hurt Dittmar. I don't see him fulfilling another role other than as a contested ball winning midfielder and I think there are others that I prefer in this draft. Dittmar has the tools to be one of those incredibly successful WAFL midfielders who puts up enormous numbers week in week out, which is something I see being very achievable for him.

Richard Farmer
Despite not having enormous production, I've been impressed with what I've seen form Farmer. He's got good pace and agility which allows him to avoid tackles and create space where there isn't much. He's a relatively crafty, classy user by foot and looks really comfortable with the ball in hand. He applies good pressure when he doesn't have the ball and is prepared to tackle when it's his turn. He's definitely in the late draft/rookie/undrafted range but has a few tools that excite me.

Jed Hagan
Hagan is an under-ager but you wouldn't know by the way he plays. He's a small midfielder but is super tough in the contest. He's an incredibly smart, clever footballer who just finds the ball so naturally and consistently makes good decisions with his disposal. He's got time to grow so hopefully he can add a little bit more height. I think he's a real talent.

Ben Hewett
I was really impressed with Hewett, who as a midfielder finds his fair share of it both inside and outside the contest. He's a good user by foot and can take and make tougher kicks that opens up the game. He hits the scoreboard too so he really does tend to get value for his possessions. He's probably one who fits just outside the draft this year but is one who is just a good, well-balanced footballer.

Jesse Motlop
I caught Motlop's WAFL League debut but need to get stuck into some more vision of him this week. He looked relatively comfortable at the level for a first gamer and was more solid than spectacular. His first few possessions he made mostly good decisions and didn't look too panicked or rushed with the ball in hand. He found some space inside forward 50 and converted with two goals. Personally for me, I think he sits outside the top 40 but that could quickly change with a couple of big performances.

Ethan Regan
Regan has great athleticism for his size, measuring in at just over 190cm and 82kgs. He applies really good pressure at the contest and is super disruptive, with his size and effort allowing him to lay some physically imposing tackles. He's a good vertical athlete and is pretty strong in the air. He's definitely a project but the physical tools are there and he seems to have a really good attitude so he'd definitely be worth a gamble later in the draft.

Corey Warner
Warner is more of an outside leaning midfielder with good pace. He moves through traffic well, understands running lanes and seems to cover the ground comfortably. I intend to see more of Warner over the next few days as I catch up on more vision but I haven't been overly impressed with his use by foot. This is from a small sample size of just a couple of games so I'm hoping to see some improvement as I see some more vision.

Taj Woewodin
Woewodin just seems like another one of those really good Colts midfielders. He's pretty good at everything but not overly great at anything. He's pretty solid at stoppage where he wins his fair share of the footy, he's a good tackler and will stick them when it's his turn to tackle and he covers the ground pretty well, accumulating the footy at a solid rate. I'm not sure that he possesses any real stand-out AFL traits at this stage but he's certainly got the ability to be a quality State League player.

How much value should the average punter take out of form from the colts though. Seems like a pretty poor standard to me.

How much value should the average punter take out of form from the colts though. Seems like a pretty poor standard to me.
The average punter doesnt watch prospects over multiple weeks do they? Mostly reads write ups and watched highlights

The average punter doesnt watch prospects over multiple weeks do they? Mostly reads write ups and watched highlights
Yeah that's my point. For me who doesn't watch the colts is it a level of competition rated highly enough for me to get enthused about when we pick a kid that has only played colts in the draft?

Yeah that's my point. For me who doesn't watch the colts is it a level of competition rated highly enough for me to get enthused about when we pick a kid that has only played colts in the draft?
Get excited about their traits, level of comp theyve played doesn't matter once theyre picked

My opinion will have a little bit of bias given that I've seen more footy from some State Leagues than others but I do feel that the WAFL and WAFL Colts competitions don't have the same depth as the SANFL and NAB League (which I rate as the best State League/underage competitions). The numbers/stats may not necessarily help you compare talent with those from other States but they can often give you an idea of who the more talented kids are. As PMBangers said, from there it's a case of watching them a little more closely to see if you can identify traits that will enable them to be successful at AFL level.

I wouldn't be concerned about whether a kid has only played WAFL Colts. Chances are he's not been picked exclusively for what he's done in his junior career, rather what the club projects he will do at AFL level. As long as the recruiters feel that the skills and talent are transferable to AFL level I don't think they would be particularly worried by the quality of the competition.

Pre-Finals Phantom Draft
First Phantom Draft for the year includes just the first two rounds. We probably don't quite have much consensus yet on any of the picks outside the top 3-4. These selections do not reflect my own personal rankings but I've tried to give an indication of some of the kids that I think could be risers/bolters. I think the gap between pick 4 and 14 is pretty minimal so if your club has a selection in that range I think you're pretty well positioned to add some real quality.

1. North Melbourne – Jason Horne-Francis
  2. Collingwood – Nick Daicos (bid matched)
  3. Western Bulldogs – Sam Darcy (bid matched)
  4. GWS – Finn Callaghan
  5. Gold Coast – Neil Erasmus
  6. Adelaide – Ben Hobbs
  7. Hawthorn – Josh Goater
  8. Carlton – Tyler Sonsie
  9. Richmond – Josh Ward
  10. Fremantle – Matthew Johnson
  11. St Kilda – Josh Gibcus
  12. West Coast – Matthew Roberts
  13. Essendon – Josh Rachele
  14. GWS – Arlo Draper
  15. Sydney – Kai Lohmann
  16. Brisbane – Zac Taylor
  17. Richmond – Mitch Owens
  18. Port Adelaide – Campbell Chesser
  19. Brisbane – Josh Sinn

20. Gold Coast – Jacob Van Rooyen
  21. Melbourne – Mac Andrew
  22. North Melbourne – Tom Brown
  23. Hawthorn – Connor MacDonald
  24. Gold Coast – Darcy Wilmot
  25. Adelaide – Hugh Jackson
  26. Hawthorn – Paul Curtis
  27. Carlton – Jamieson Ballantyne
  28. Richmond – Sam Butler
  29. Fremantle – Cooper Murley
  30. Richmond – Toby Murray
  31. West Coast – Jye Amiss
  32. GWS – Josh Fahey (bid matched)
  33. Geelong – Mitch Knevitt
  34. Geelong – James Willis
  35. Sydney – Charlie Molan
  36. Geelong – Oscar Morrison
  37. West Coast – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
  38. Adelaide – Sam Banks

Richmond – Toby Murray
I must admit Toby has caught my eye as well in the games I've attended, thought the lack of noise would suggest he's more a rookie type of pick but I damn well rate you going with your gut, not just with Murray either

I must admit Toby has caught my eye as well in the games I've attended, thought the lack of noise would suggest he's more a rookie type of pick but I damn well rate you going with your gut, not just with Murray either

Given their stash of picks I see it as a bit of a free hit for Richmond and I think Toby definitely has the tools. There's every chance they move up or out with those picks though which is one of the MANY, MANY things that makes these phantom drafts so damn hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson has dropped quite a bit since the start of the year, he is ranked somewhere around the 20 mark at this point.

Johnson has dropped quite a bit since the start of the year, he is ranked somewhere around the 20 mark at this point.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I still rate him quite highly which has probably influenced the early selection in the phantom. I think he'd be a pretty complementary piece to that midfield that Fremantle have built over the past few drafts.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I still rate him quite highly which has probably influenced the early selection in the phantom. I think he'd be a pretty complementary piece to that midfield that Fremantle have built over the past few drafts.
Interested in why you think Sam Banks is a fit for Adelaide?

I know Hamish has gone with Tassie boys before but interested in your reasoning.

First Phantom Draft for the year includes just the first two rounds. We probably don't quite have much consensus yet on any of the picks outside the top 3-4. These selections do not reflect my own personal rankings but I've tried to give an indication of some of the kids that I think could be risers/bolters. I think the gap between pick 4 and 14 is pretty minimal so if your club has a selection in that range I think you're pretty well positioned to add some real quality.

1. North Melbourne – Jason Horne-Francis
  2. Collingwood – Nick Daicos (bid matched)
  3. Western Bulldogs – Sam Darcy (bid matched)
  4. GWS – Finn Callaghan
  5. Gold Coast – Neil Erasmus
  6. Adelaide – Ben Hobbs
  7. Hawthorn – Josh Goater
  8. Carlton – Tyler Sonsie
  9. Richmond – Josh Ward
  10. Fremantle – Matthew Johnson
  11. St Kilda – Josh Gibcus
  12. West Coast – Matthew Roberts
  13. Essendon – Josh Rachele
  14. GWS – Arlo Draper
  15. Sydney – Kai Lohmann
  16. Brisbane – Zac Taylor
  17. Richmond – Mitch Owens
  18. Port Adelaide – Campbell Chesser
  19. Brisbane – Josh Sinn

20. Gold Coast – Jacob Van Rooyen
  21. Melbourne – Mac Andrew
  22. North Melbourne – Tom Brown
  23. Hawthorn – Connor MacDonald
  24. Gold Coast – Darcy Wilmot
  25. Adelaide – Hugh Jackson
  26. Hawthorn – Paul Curtis
  27. Carlton – Jamieson Ballantyne
  28. Richmond – Sam Butler
  29. Fremantle – Cooper Murley
  30. Richmond – Toby Murray
  31. West Coast – Jye Amiss
  32. GWS – Josh Fahey (bid matched)
  33. Geelong – Mitch Knevitt
  34. Geelong – James Willis
  35. Sydney – Charlie Molan
  36. Geelong – Oscar Morrison
  37. West Coast – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
  38. Adelaide – Sam Banks

i like it, Goater and MacDonald for our midfield and Curtis to add to forward depth, you hit the brief perfectly. :thumbsu:

I'm curious about this. Is that due to not rating Johnson at that part of the draft?
I think Johnson is a nice get at our pick and I like him, but in your draft Cerra stays, so other needs could be focused on. If Cerra goes, Johnson has some similar traits, but may prefer other options. But my opinion is a poster who lives in Bali's opinion, not a live watcher.

Interested in why you think Sam Banks is a fit for Adelaide?

I know Hamish has gone with Tassie boys before but interested in your reasoning.

I think the opportunity to add someone with the class of Banks at that position in the draft is real value. He's got good size for his position, he's a good user and comes with scope to play as a half back, wing or through the midfield. I feel there's a need to add some outside class and I think Banks presents that sort of upside at that point in the draft. Throw in the Hamish connection too and I think it's a reasonable fit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back