Draft Watcher ModernArtillery 2021 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

July 8 Draft Board
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    I've just finished watching some WA vision over the past few nights and I thought I was due to share some thoughts around my draft board. I'll update and add to this as the season progresses. I suspect there will be some pretty significant changes during and post champs (assuming they go ahead) but I thought I'd provide a bit of a lay of the land before the Champs do get underway.

1. Jason Horne
    I love Horne and he's still far and away my number 1 pick. I've shared my thoughts a number of times on him so I won't go into any detail here.

2. Nick Daicos
    Daicos couldn't possibly have done anything more at NAB League level. He's accumulated at a high level, his disposal by foot is elite and he's proven to be able to hit the scoreboard consistently. If there was an ever so slight question mark I had it might be over his ability to consistently win contested footy at AFL level against bigger, stronger bodies but I think if that's not there day 1 it will be something he'll be able to develop pretty quickly.

3. Neil Erasmus
    I'm really optimistic about what Erasmus can do at the next level. He's got the physical profile and skill set to be a super damaging mid/forward at AFL level. He's got great goal sense and creates scoring opportunities for himself and others with ease inside forward 50. He's great in the air and clean when the ball hits the deck. I love the balance that he has between his contested footy and his accumulation on the outside and think he's about as complete a prospect as there is in the draft. I'm confident that his game is tailor-made for the brand of footy that is played at AFL level today.

4. Tyler Sonsie
    As a fan on Sonsie it's been a bit of a roller-coaster this year. His performance in the Academy game against Geelong was incredibly poor and for the most part he's just been a moments player in his NAB League games and VFL hit out. Putting the inconsistencies aside, I just really rate Sonsie's talent. His ball use is elite and his ability to read the space and put the footy to the advantage of teammates is up there with Daicos in this years draft. He can win the contested footy, he's got pace and explosiveness from stoppage and he's got forward craft and class in front of goal. Essentially, he has all the tools to become an elite AFL footballer and if he puts it altogether I think he has top 5 value in this draft.

5. Connor MacDonald
    MacDonald is a pretty relentless midfielder who just keeps coming at you from all facets, whether that be cracking in on the inside and winning the contested footy or accumulating on the outside around the ground, he just keeps on going. His work at stoppage is high quality where he does a really good job of reading where the footy will be, getting himself to that spot, winning it and then exiting the contest. He's competent by foot and more than capable of hitting targets, though it's not a weapon of his. I'm confident that MacDonald will work his way into an AFL midfield relatively quickly.

6. Ben Hobbs
    Hobbs has a lot of similar traits to MacDonald and it was pretty hard to split the two with MacDonald only really getting the nod because I've had more exposure to him. Hobbs is another really strong contested ball winner that also has the ability to accumulate on the outside. He's strong in the air and has a bit of goal sense inside forward 50. His stoppage craft is high quality and whilst he's not super explosive he still gets in and out of stoppage efficiently. Hobbs is another who is competent by foot but not overly damaging. That will be a key area of growth for him as he gets to the next level.

7. Sam Darcy
    Some of my early notes this year came from the Round 4 NAB League clash where Darcy played in defence for Oakleigh. He's just gone from strength to strength since then and seems consensus top 5 at this point. His marking is an asset whether forward or back as he has the timing, length and athleticism to take contested grabs. He's strong in the air but I haven't really seen much physicality from him once the ball hits the deck, although that may come as he adds some size in the gym. His use by foot is consistently pretty good and whilst it seems like he's projecting as a forward at this point, if he was shifted back at the next level I have every confidence he'll be a handy user out of defence. He certainly has the tools to be an effective interceptor and offensive weapon from defensive 50. Inside forward 50 he's pretty good below his knees and has the goal sense and finishing ability to hit the scoreboard from opportunities that are not exclusively set shots. The key position talent can be pretty difficult to project and I always hesitate to put them super high on my board but Darcy's talent is obvious and if his body fills out a bit (which I'm confident it will) he'll be a high quality AFL player.

8. Josh Goater
    Goater is a tall, strong midfielder who wins a lot of contested footy, primarily extracting and distributing by hand to outside movers. Despite being primarily a distributor by hand to this point he's a capable user by foot and is comfortable hitting targets around the ground. Goater is strong in the air and whilst I haven't seen him push forward too much to kick goals his skill set suggests this is something he could develop. His contest work and his stoppage craft look AFL standard and I think they will be his biggest weapons at the next level.

9. Matthew Johnson
    Johnson shares some similar traits to Goater and the two are probably interchangeable on my board. Johnson is another who is prominent at stoppage, winning the contested footy and delivering it by hand to outside runners. He's really clean below his knees and he fires out sharp handballs that consistently hit targets despite being under significant pressure. He's a capable user by foot but is another whose kicking isn't a real weapon for him. I'd like to see his production continue to increase and see him accumulate a bit more of the footy. Johnson is really capable in the air and can take a strong contested grab, something I'd like to see him do a bit more of as he drifts forward. If he starts to show that he can consistently win the footy, exit and explode from stoppage and then deliver by foot, he really starts to enter the conversation with the mids I have ranked higher.

10. Finn Callaghan
    Callaghan is the ultimate high ceiling, low basement prospect where you can see shades of Bontempelli in his game and then moments reminiscent of Karl Amon post-breakout in the same quarter. What I really like is his combination of size, speed and his execution by foot. He has a great understanding of angles and running lanes and uses this to evade tacklers and create space to execute his disposals. He does have moments where he seems clumsy in the contest and misses targets by hand. He could be cleaner below his knees and I'd like to see the contested side to his game improve. I think it will take a few years in the system for Callaghan to pick up the pace of the game and really develop his ball-winning craft but if he does adjust to the level he has the tools to be a real weapon through the middle of the ground.

11. Jacob Van Rooyen
    Van Rooyen is a super competitive kid who I feel plays his best football as that high leading centre half forward. He's good on the lead and really strong below his knees where his follow up work, tackling and clean hands are high level for a key forward. His hands are particularly outstanding where he dishes out hand passes to teammates cleanly and effectively on a consistent basis. He has a bit of growth to come aerially, where he often gets out-bodied and out-positioned by bigger, stronger defenders which is a problem when the midfield delivery is sub-par. This has been evident during moments at WAFL level this year. In an age where forward pressure is key to any high-functioning forward line, Van Rooyen's ability to offer that as a tall can be really valuable at the next level.

12. Josh Rachele
    Rachele is a skillful small forward with good goal sense and a knack for making things happen inside forward 50. He's a strong tackler that can apply defensive pressure, something that I think we will see him do more consistently at AFL level once he settles into a role there. He'll start as a forward at AFL level but I think he has scope to pinch hit in the midfield where he can have an impact at stoppage. He's really crafty and dynamic and when he is in and around the ball I always anticipate a scoring opportunity will come. The repeat forward half pressure acts will be key to Rachele getting the opportunity early at AFL level and if he can deliver those consistently it will complement his natural skill level and allow his class to show.

I'll leave my board at 12 for now as there are still guys that I haven't seen enough of yet, namely Campbell Chesser, Josh Browne and Ned Long. To give an idea of who I have in this next group at this stage it probably includes those guys + Matthew Roberts, Josh Sinn, Paul Curtis, Josh Gibcus and Harvey Harrison.

July 23 Draft Board
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    ***Slight changes to move Jackson up the rankings.

I've caught a fair bit of footy lately, most of it game film, so I thought I was due to update and add to my draft board.

1. Jason Horne
    2. Nick Daicos
    3. Neil Erasmus
    4. Tyler Sonsie
    5. Ben Hobbs ^
    6. Josh Goater ^
    7. Sam Darcy
    8. Connor MacDonald
    9. Matthew Johnson
    10. Finn Callaghan
    11. Jacob Van Rooyen
    12. Josh Rachele

13. Josh Ward
    Ward is a tough inside midfielder that wins his fair share of contested footy. He's clean below his knees and extracts it quickly and accurately by hand, but also has the awareness and patience in traffic to find the right target if it doesn't immediately present itself. He's evasive and does a really good job of buying himself time and creating space to execute his disposals. His work rate on the spread allows him to accumulate outside ball too and his production in almost every game has been at a really high level. His midfield craft is a standout and I think he'll develop into a solid AFL midfielder.

14. Darcy Wilmot
    Wilmot is a really nice balance of toughness and class. He's a good decision maker under pressure, he can break lines with his speed and he consistently executes by foot when rebounding from D50. Defensively he seems to have the perfect balance between intercepting and nullifying his opponent and has the skill to do both at a really high level. There isn't really too much that Wilmot doesn't have and I even think there is some midfield scope there too which might be something an AFL club explores after a few years in the system. I have a lot of confidence in Wilmot's ability to transition to the level and think he is one that could have an impact at the right AFL club pretty early.

15. Matthew Roberts
    I've shared a fair bit about Roberts so I'll keep this brief. I think his talent is elite but worry that his speed and agility limits his ceiling. At this point though it's hard to go past the talent.

16. Mitch Owens
    Owens was a late in to the Victorian Challenge game but made the most of his opportunity. He's got good size and athleticism which allows him to be a real threat aerially. He really attacks it in the air and can intercept and pull down some contested marks. What also impresses me is his ability to follow up and impact the contest when the ball goes to ground. He's pretty fearless in his attack on the footy and is willing to put his head over it and fight for the contested ball. He's a pretty safe user by foot and can be a pretty craft finisher around goals. Owens has some really appealing tools.

17. Hugh Jackson
    Jackson is another that does alot of things really well. I've shared some thoughts on him previously but one thing that I feel like I've noticed more recently as I've watched more film is his defensive effort around the contest. He's more than willing to lay a tackle but the extra efforts to smother handballs and kicks have been equally impressive and he'll put in the effort to chase someone down too, proving he's more than just a ball winner and accumulator. I'd still like to see him hit the scoreboard more and have a bit more impact with his kicks but Jackson has done a fair bit right so far this year.

18. Paul Curtis
    Curtis is one of my favourites in the pool and one that I think will provide really good value in the second half of the draft. He's a really crafty small forward that can impact the game in a few different ways. He's strong on the lead whether it be deep forward or pushing up to half forward and he's strong in the air for his size so he gives himself opportunities to hit the scoreboard from set shots. He makes high IQ footy plays, showing an ability to read the drop of the ball and get his hands on it and also the smarts to understand where the space is and lead the forward to that space with his use inside forward 50. He can lay a tackle and apply a little bit of pressure too so he really does have a few ways that he can impact the game. I think he's one whose game translates to AFL footy nicely and in the right team could get a look in reasonably early.

19. James Willis
    Another one of my favourites, Willis is another who just does a lot of things at a really high level and offers positional versatility, being able to play half forward, half back, wing and through the middle as an inside mid. He's got a really strong body that allows him to create separation at stoppage and he possesses the speed to exit at pace once he wins the footy. He's explosive and dynamic and is a pretty solid user by foot. I like him as a half forward/midfielder at the next level and see his skill set as really desirable in AFL footy.

20. Josh Sinn
    The lack of consistency due to injury that Sinn has battled this year has hurt and I think he is one whose development has been most impacted by the lack of footy over the past two years. His blend of medium size and speed are certainly assets for him but he just has some inconsistencies by foot that he lets himself down with at times. His run and carry is high class though and he can really break the lines with that burst of speed. If Sinn could add a touch of poise and more consistency by foot his impact per possession will rise and that will help him take his game to the next level.

21. Mitch Knevitt
    I really like Knevitt's size as he's starting to push KPP height as a midfielder. This height serves him well as he pulls in marks around the ground over smaller midfielders. He's a careful kick but not an elite kick although when he kicks through the footy he can get some serious penetration. His best work though is done at the stoppage where he reads the ball well off the ruck and shows clean hands to win it and extract it to outside midfielders. Knevitt is one that I feel really needs to fall into the right place and right situation where the opportunities are going to be there for him to develop as that stoppage/clearance winning midfielder.

22. Charlie Molan
    Molan is another medium-sized midfielder with good speed. He's a hard runner who will break the lines and carry the ball from defensive 50 to the forward 50. He covers the ground really well and is a pretty smooth mover. He doesn't mind mixing it up a bit in the contest and is prepared to tackle when it's his turn to go. His disposal is pretty solid by foot, he has really clean hands and it feels like he makes a lot of good decisions. Molan has a lot of qualities that make me think he's got a really strong chance of being a good AFL footballer.

WA are drastically under-represented here and most of that is due to limited access to WAFL games but that should change in the second half of the year. I'm looking forward to catching more of the WA talent and I suspect a few will feature on my board. I'm still yet to see enough of Chesser, Long and a few others that I feel like probably fit somewhere in this group too so there's still some work to be done to fill out my board.

Last edited:
    August 3 Draft Board
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Starting to fill out my draft board now with a few more additions and some slight changes. Still pretty light on the WA kids but once I get through some more game footage I imagine I'll start to fit some in. I'm working through an early two round phantom at the moment too so should have that out shortly.

1. Jason Horne
    2. Nick Daicos
    3. Neil Erasmus
    4. Tyler Sonsie
    5. Ben Hobbs
    6. Josh Goater
    7. Sam Darcy
    8. Josh Ward
    9. Connor MacDonald
    10. Matthew Johnson
    11. Finn Callaghan
    12. Jacob Van Rooyen
    13. Josh Rachele

14. Tom Brown
    Tom Brown is a complete footballer who does just about everything at a high level. He's super smooth, never rushed and it always feels like he's in control when he has the ball in his hands. He's a good disposer by hand and foot and has an accurate, penetrating kick. He's strong one on one and in the contest, he's capable of winning the contested footy but then accumulates well on the outside. He appears a great leader across half back but looks capable as a winger or midfielder at the next level. I see shades of Dan Houston in his game and think he's a very safe selection to be a good AFL player.

15. Mitch Owens
    16. Matthew Roberts
    17. Hugh Jackson

18. Josh Gibcus
    It's taken me some time but I'm finally on the Gibcus bandwagon. I get Jake Lever vibes watching him play as he's a capable stopper but his biggest asset is when he can run and jump at the footy and intercept. He's a pretty special vertical athlete and moves across the ground really smoothly for a kid his size. He has a long, penetrating kick but becoming more consistent by foot would help him become more damaging as a rebounder. I think he's a few years in the system away from impacting at AFL level but I think he's more than capable of having an AFL career.

19. Darcy Wilmot
    20. Paul Curtis
    21. James Willis

22. Kai Lohmann
    I'm really optimistic about what Lohmann can bring to an AFL side. He has good speed and pace on the outside and is super active as a pressure half forward. He can push up the ground too and have an influence in the contest where he's willing to put his head over it or lay a strong tackle. He's competitive in the air and is more than capable of sitting on someone's shoulders. His follow up work is really good too and he applies a lot of pressure once the ball hits the deck. He hits the contest hard with speed, is really good below his knees and then is a capable user on the outside. I feel he has a lot of AFL traits that will give him every chance of being successful at AFL level.

23. Josh Sinn

24. Jamieson Ballantyne
    I think Ballantyne has all the tools necessary to be a successful winger at AFL level. He's got the physical profile with good size, speed and agility. He's really capable both offensively and defensively in the air, where he'll fly for his marks but is also comfortable helping out and spoiling in defence. His use by foot is solid and his decision making is sound. He's tough in the contest too and is willing to put his head over the footy when it's his turn to go. I really like the way he covers the ground and can impact the game at both ends and that effort and athleticism can certainly translate to the next level.

25. Mitch Knevitt

26. Zac Taylor
    Taylor is a really clever midfielder that finds plenty of the footy and distributes it cleanly by hand and foot to teammates in space. He always seems to be able to create time and space for himself with his evasiveness and then is really crafty with the ball in hand. He's a good decision maker and seems to get good value for his possessions. I'd like to see him spend a little more time forward and see if he can have a consistent impact there as that's probably where he'll likely spend some time at AFL level should he get the opportunity.

27. Arlo Draper
    Draper has all the tools to make it at AFL level. He's physically gifted and has plenty of natural talent. It feels unfair to question his motor given that I don't know him personally and haven't worked with him but the drive and competitiveness you like to see isn't particularly evident on the field. He could just be a super laid back kid so I don't want to hang my assessment solely on that. I like his versatility as he's spent time at both ends of the ground and through the midfield and been able to have a big impact at U18 level wherever he's played. His tools are really appealing and if he puts it together he could be a really good AFL player.

28. Cooper Murley
    Murley has a heap of talent and is a super skilled footballer. He's a good ball winner at stoppage and exits it at speed. His speed doesn't prevent him from hitting kicks on the move as he is pretty classy by foot. I think his frame perhaps limits his scope as a midfielder at AFL level but I feel confident in projecting an Orazio Fantasia level career. His weapons and skill set in the right system should allow him to have an AFL career.

Pre-Finals Phantom Draft
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    First Phantom Draft for the year includes just the first two rounds. We probably don't quite have much consensus yet on any of the picks outside the top 3-4. These selections do not reflect my own personal rankings but I've tried to give an indication of some of the kids that I think could be risers/bolters. I think the gap between pick 4 and 14 is pretty minimal so if your club has a selection in that range I think you're pretty well positioned to add some real quality.

1. North Melbourne – Jason Horne-Francis
    2. Collingwood – Nick Daicos (bid matched)
    3. Western Bulldogs – Sam Darcy (bid matched)
    4. GWS – Finn Callaghan
    5. Gold Coast – Neil Erasmus
    6. Adelaide – Ben Hobbs
    7. Hawthorn – Josh Goater
    8. Carlton – Tyler Sonsie
    9. Richmond – Josh Ward
    10. Fremantle – Matthew Johnson
    11. St Kilda – Josh Gibcus
    12. West Coast – Matthew Roberts
    13. Essendon – Josh Rachele
    14. GWS – Arlo Draper
    15. Sydney – Kai Lohmann
    16. Brisbane – Zac Taylor
    17. Richmond – Mitch Owens
    18. Port Adelaide – Campbell Chesser
    19. Brisbane – Josh Sinn

20. Gold Coast – Jacob Van Rooyen
    21. Melbourne – Mac Andrew
    22. North Melbourne – Tom Brown
    23. Hawthorn – Connor MacDonald
    24. Gold Coast – Darcy Wilmot
    25. Adelaide – Hugh Jackson
    26. Hawthorn – Paul Curtis
    27. Carlton – Jamieson Ballantyne
    28. Richmond – Sam Butler
    29. Fremantle – Cooper Murley
    30. Richmond – Toby Murray
    31. West Coast – Jye Amiss
    32. GWS – Josh Fahey (bid matched)
    33. Geelong – Mitch Knevitt
    34. Geelong – James Willis
    35. Sydney – Charlie Molan
    36. Geelong – Oscar Morrison
    37. West Coast – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
    38. Adelaide – Sam Banks

September 6 Draft Board
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Over the last month I've managed to see a lot of SA and WA vision so to try and minimise the recency bias I've gone back and reviewed a fair bit of the Vic and Allies vision I've had available. I've had a fair bit of movement with some exposed form causing the likes of Roberts and Jackson to slide with Amiss, Bazzo and Wanganeen-Milera big risers. I've also expanded my board to 50 now so I've tried to keep the commentary brief.

1. Jason Horne-Francis
    2. Nick Daicos
    3. Neil Erasmus
    4. Tyler Sonsie
    5. Ben Hobbs
    6. Josh Ward
    7. Matthew Johnson
    8. Sam Darcy
    9. Zac Taylor
    10. Josh Rachele
    11. Connor MacDonald
    12. Finn Callaghan
    13. Josh Goater
    14. Mitch Owens
    15. Tom Brown
    16. Kai Lohmann
    17. Darcy Wilmot
    18. Jye Amiss

19. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
    Wanganeen-Milera has had a big month or two and has risen to every challenge put in front of him. He's arguably the classiest user of the footy in the draft and although he heavily favours kicking on his right leg, he's quick and evasive enough that he's rarely denied it at this level. He's exclusively an outside winger at this stage and his growth will come as he becomes more comfortable in contested situations and as he becomes more proactive in his accumulation of the footy.

20. Arlo Draper
    21. Paul Curtis
    22. Matthew Roberts
    23. Josh Gibcus

24. Rhett Bazzo
    Despite the SA forward line being below standard, Bazzo demonstrated some AFL standard traits that will give him the best chance of transitioning to the level. He reads the flight of the ball really well which allows him to be a real threat as an interceptor. He's a good size at 195cm+ and has an athletic base that compliments his size nicely. The thing that separates Bazzo from others for me is his ball use which is a real strength for him. He gets penetration on his kicks and can be a really effective rebounder from defence to attack. I'd love to see the type of performance we saw against SA more consistently from him which would give me a greater level of confidence in him as a prospect.

25. Ethan Regan
    26. Josh Sinn

27. Brady Hough
    Hough is a really complete prospect and one that I need to commit more time to over the coming weeks. As a midfielder he's got a nice inside/outside balance. He's willing to put his head over the footy and has pretty clean hands at the contest. What has been most impressive is his adaptability to play different positions, specifically in the forward line at state level where he was one of WA's better players against SA. He looks really comfortable on the lead, he's good at ground level and applies pressure when he doesn't have the footy. I think I've gone pretty conservative at 27 here because there's real scope for him to rise.

28. Jacob Van Rooyen
    29. Hugh Jackson
    30. James Willis
    31. Charlie Molan
    32. Jamieson Ballantyne
    33. Mitch Knevitt

34. Judson Clarke
    Clarke has high end speed and class as a small forward where he breaks lines and finishes consistently inside forward 50. His speed allows him to apply pressure, particularly inside forward 50, where he closes in on defenders and either tackles or impacts their disposal. There's a bit of x-factor about him and he doesn't need much of a look to really impact the game. I think he's a prospect who will enter the AFL system with a clearly defined role and enough skill and talent to be successful in that role.

35. Cooper Murley

36. Sam Butler
    Butler is a half forward who does a really good job at pushing up the ground and finding the footy. He's particularly good at winning the ground ball at pace and firing handballs out to teammates on the outside. His work-rate up the ground to get involved in the contest and then speed back the other way to get goal side of his defender is high quality and that would see him get real reward at AFL level. Despite doing his best work up the ground he's still capable inside forward 50 where he's a marking threat overhead, willing tackler and capable ball winner at ground level. Butler is another of those prospects who will walk into an AFL club next year knowing who he is and having a clearly defined role which sets him up for success.

37. Mac Andrew
    Andrew is a freakishly skilled footballer for his size and just flashes a scary level of potential. He moves really well for his size and his ball drop and use by foot looks more comfortable than a lot of the midfielders in this draft. My concerns with Andrew is how this all translates to the next level given the enormous amount of work that needs to go into his body to allow him to compete at AFL level. His role at the next level is somewhat unclear too, where he could find himself forward, through the ruck or in defence. The skill level is intriguing but I find the required physical development a bit overwhelming.

38. Leek Alleer
    Alleer has developed into a quality intercept marking defender who possesses the size, athleticism and ability to forge a career at AFL level. He's still pretty raw and though a touch inconsistent this year, he's shown enough to suggest that the traits are there. He's showed glimpses of being really aggressive at flying for intercept marks, backing himself in and beating his man one on one. He's a willing spoiler too and will opt for that if he finds himself out-positioned for the intercept. His ball use can be a bit nerve-racking at times but it's serviceable and will improve as he gains more experience. He's probably slightly ahead of other KPP's in this draft in terms of physical development, though his football is probably at a relatively similar level.

39. Marcus Windhager
    Windhager has demonstrated his versatility fulfilling multiple roles across half forward, the wing and half back. I think his position at the next level is likely to be across half forward where he can effectively push up the ground and be a conduit between the midfielders and forwards but also play a role defensively as a pressure forward and tackler inside 50. I really like Windhager as a prospect and if he can improve his finishing and use by foot then he can absolutely find a role at AFL level.

40. Campbell Chesser
    I couldn't have Chesser higher on my board because I've had pretty limited exposure to him and the games that I have seen him play he's been low production and low impact. He can use the footy, he's a good size and he moves across the ground really well so there's nothing overly surprising about him being a highly rated prospect, I'd just need to see more before I committed an early selection to him.

41. Josh Fahey
    Fahey similarly finds himself this low in part because of my limited exposure to him. He's got a nice penetrating kick which he uses consistently to good effect. He's a solid athlete too and so physically I think he'll be able to stand up to the level. I think he projects as a handy accumulator and distributor off half back with the key for him being whether his defensive work stands up at AFL level. Fahey's another that I wish I'd had more exposure to so that I could feel more comfortable with where he fits on my board.

42. Lachlan Rankin
    Rankin is a real classy operator and gets real value for his possessions. He fits best between both 50m arcs as either a high half forward, wing or half back, where his ball use translates well into score involvements. The highlight of his game is his willingness to bite of kicks into the corridor which he consistently executes with success. He's not a particularly special athlete and probably doesn't have an enormous amount of physical development to come which is a shame because his skill set in a taller, more athletic body could be pretty special. I think he's a value pick in the second half of the draft.

43. Sam Banks
    Banks is another classy accumulator off half back who does his damage with his run, carry and kicking penetration. He's got the size and athleticism to hold up in one on one's with the skill and footy IQ to develop as an interceptor. Banks does have the scope to push higher up the ground, whether it be as a winger or a centre square midfielder though some improvement in his contested footy and two-way running would be necessary. I think it's probably more likely that he fights for a position across half back at AFL level.

44. Miller Bergman
    Bergman is a mobile, athletic type who covers the ground really easily and can impact the game aerially. He willingly and quite courageously flies for marks and competes to either take the grab himself or bring it to ground. He's a classy user by foot and a good finisher in front of goal so there are weapons there that make him desirable. He's got the versatility to find a role at half forward, on a wing or as an interceptor and user across half back and that flexibility will give him plenty of opportunities to find a role at AFL level.

45. James Tunstill
    Tunstill has proven to be a really effective player at stoppage, consistently demonstrating his ability to read the drop of the ball, get on the move and win it with clean hands. He's pretty fearless in there, never shirking the contest and always willing to put his head over the footy. He's also shown some growth in the way that he exits stoppage and distributes to those on the outside, often freeing his arms, moving through the contest and firing a sharp handball under pressure to a teammate. He's a good enough user on the outside too and he can go forward and hit the scoreboard, so he's more than just an inside midfielder. He's got some physical development to come as he fills out a bit more too so there's still some growth left in him.

46. Lewis Rayson
    Rayson's had a pretty solid year at all levels though I haven't really seen that break out performance that makes him a must have for me. He just seems to hold up at every level where he's pretty consistent across half back as an accumulator and distributor. He's a good overlap runner and can break the lines and navigate running angles to create space for himself to execute his kicks. At times he doesn't get true value for his possessions though some consideration has to be given to the context of those possessions which in many cases have been under supreme pressure or with little movement and structure ahead of him. He reads the play well enough to intercept at a reasonable rate, particularly for his size, and has a few little tricks in and around the contest that demonstrate some footy IQ. He is purely outside at this stage and some of those tricks in the contest help him avoid contact which can be a problem if teammates aren't on the same page. Adding some size to allow him to compete in the contest more will be really important for his development. I have some concerns about his ceiling and where that extra growth will come from that will allow him to establish himself as an AFL player. I think he's done enough to find himself on an AFL list but I feel he still has a lot of work to do to establish himself at the level.

47. Blake Howes
    Howes is an athletic half forward/winger that covers the ground well and is really strong on the lead. He's a good decision maker with the ball in hand and can navigate his way through traffic with composure to find the best target. Whilst he does a really good job leading beyond forward 50, he still offers plenty inside 50 where he can mark the footy, hit the scoreboard and apply pressure at ground level as a willing tackler. He was starting to elevate his production before the NAB League shut down but accumulating more consistently would allow him have more of an influence on the contest.

48. Taj Woewodin

49. Cooper Beecken
    Beecken has spent a fair bit of time on the wing this year but he looks most comfortable across half back where he's pretty solid at everything he does. He's a solid athlete that can play on a mix of smalls and talls, he's a consistent user by foot who makes smart decisions and doesn't bite off low percentage kicks. Beecken has a good balance of intercepting and negating, though he is one that does rely on pressure up the ground more than others. He's a good tackler despite not being a physically imposing build, though the contested side of his game is probably the area that needs the most growth at this stage.

50. Toby Murray
    Murray is a slight key forward/ruck with a bit of bounce and zip on the lead for his size. He's pretty raw still but he's competitive in the air, showing a willingness to fly for a mark, crash a pack and bring the ball to ground. He's got good mobility for his size which allows him to follow up and stay in the contest when the ball does go to ground. He's got a fair bit of physical development to come but the combination of size and athletic attributes make him an intriguing prospect later in the draft.

October 1 Draft Board
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    I've updated my draft board again with a little bit of movement. I've been re-watching the Vic Metro v Vic Country trials + Challenge game, specifically focusing on Callaghan, Gibcus, Chesser and Andrew given they're the prospects that I've ranked with the biggest discrepancy from the consensus/industry view. I've added a bit of commentary to explain the risers/sliders.

1. Jason Horne-Francis
    2. Nick Daicos
    3. Neil Erasmus
    4. Tyler Sonsie
    5. Josh Ward

6. Finn Callaghan
    I'm happy to put my hand up and say I got this one wrong having Callaghan so low on my board (still might be too low!). My reason for having him lower was based on my question marks over his ability to win the contested footy. I'm not sure I've completed convinced myself of that yet but I grossly underrated what he can do with the footy. Those "first receivers" for want of a better description are incredibly valuable at AFL level and his ability to navigate his way through traffic and deliver the footy is first class. He may never be that elite inside midfielder but I think his contested footy will grow enough to compliment his outside skill set which is already pretty special.

7. Ben Hobbs
    8. Sam Darcy
    9. Josh Rachele
    10. Matthew Johnson

11. Josh Gibcus
    I tend to err on the side of caution when evaluating key position talent and that's even more so the case with key position defenders. This ranking is still reflective of that caution. Gibcus has a really balanced skill set which I think I probably underrated in past assessments. His athleticism and intercept marking is a great strength but he's more than capable one on one and his ball use is solid enough. I think the AFL system will suit his strengths and that gives me a greater level of confidence in his ability to transition to the level.

12. Zac Taylor
    13. Josh Goater
    14. Connor MacDonald
    15. Mitch Owens
    16. Darcy Wilmot
    17. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
    18. Tom Brown
    19. Kai Lohmann
    20. Jye Amiss
    21. Rhett Bazzo
    22. Arlo Draper
    23. Paul Curtis
    24. Josh Sinn
    25. Matthew Roberts
    26. Brady Hough
    27. Jacob Van Rooyen
    28. Marcus Windhager
    29. James Willis

30. Campbell Chesser
    Chesser is a tough one because I just don't have enough exposure to justify a higher ranking. He's definitely one where I'd recommend viewing other draft watchers notes as they'll be a better reference than me. The reason he rises is because the class and upside is obvious when you watch him. His blend of size, speed and skill is pretty special. He's such a good mover and he just kicks the ball so smoothly. I still don't have much clarity on his ability to win his own footy, and to be honest just the contested side of his game in general, but at this stage I'd rather take a 'punt' on him over those I have a greater feel for below him.

31. Judson Clarke
    32. Jamieson Ballantyne
    33. Mitch Knevitt
    34. Miller Bergman
    35. Cooper Murley
    36. Sam Butler
    37. Charlie Molan
    38. Ethan Regan
    39. Leek Alleer
    40. Josh Fahey

41. Hugh Jackson
    Jackson's year hasn't trended the way he would've hoped. His form for North Adelaide tapered off towards the end of the year and he's not been able to have the influence he would've liked in the National Championship games against WA, where he's found himself playing outside the centre square, on a wing or across half forward. It's a little unsettling to see him not able to adapt to other roles which perhaps limits his scope at the next level. I still have a level of confidence in his ball winning and accumulation through the midfield but the lack of growth does raise concerns about his ability to transition to the next level.

42. Eric Benning
    I've been really impressed with Benning over the past month as I think his football has really started to catch up to his athletic ability. He's starting to really time his leads and present with confidence. When he's got a full head of steam there aren't many at this level that can go with him. His follow up from marking and ruck contests is impressive too and he's more than capable of applying pressure and tackling when the ball hits the deck. I think Fremantle have a really nice prospect here.

43. Sam Banks
    44. Lewis Rayson
    45. Taj Woewodin
    46. Lachlan Rankin
    47. Cooper Beecken
    48. Blake Howes
    49. Youseph Dibb
    50. Toby Murray

Mac Andrew
    I've got Mac Andrew in a group of his own because I have no idea what the hell to do with him. On the one hand his talent is freakish. The way he moves and kicks the footy is incredible for a kid his size. On the other, how does that translate as a ruck/forward at the next level? Is his body capable of adding the size? I'm not even going to pretend to know where to view him. If I was a club with a bevvy of picks I'd certainly consider him, however if I was a club going to this draft with a small hand I'd probably steer clear.

James Willis Draft Profile
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    I've attached a link to my draft profile for James Willis who is one of my favourite prospects out of South Australia, this year. It's a shame he's been cut down by injury at the back end of the year because I would've loved to have seen him get the opportunity to compete in the challenge games against WA and the Allies. His injury kept him out of the draft combine too where I would've been intrigued to see some of his testing results, particularly in the agility and 20m sprint.

"Willis is a well built, hard running footballer who possesses a blend of speed and explosiveness which is quite unique for his size and frame. He combines these physical tools with an appetite for contested football that makes him a threat to impact every contest. Willis offers a balanced skillset through the midfield, capable of winning ground balls and contested possessions but equally effective on the outside where he can accelerate away from the contest and deliver to teammates. His wins at stoppages are typically high impact because of his ability to take possession of the football, exit the contest at pace, and deliver the ball with speed inside 50."

Last edited:
    Hugh Jackson Draft Profile
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Jackson started the year in red hot form but dipped a little bit at the back end of the year when forced to play a little more outside against better opposition. Like Willis, Jackson missed the draft combine due to injury and was another I was keen to see test. Earlier in the year I was really optimistic about him featuring in the first half of the draft but have since been scared off a little after his late season form. It's hard to judge some of these kids who are trending in the wrong direction come the back end of the year. I'd still expect Jackson to find a home on draft night but that's probably likely to be in the second half of the draft now.

"Hugh Jackson was the premier ball winner in the SANFL U18s competition this year, averaging 34 disposals across his first 11 games, before a quieter end to the year saw his season average drop a fraction below 30 per game. He collected a season-best 41 disposals in Round 6 against eventual premier Woodville-West Torrens, only to match it just three weeks later with another 41 possessions and 12 clearances, in a best on ground display. His early season form was rewarded with selection in South Australia’s Under 19s squad where he has featured in representative games against Western Australia and the Allies. A late season debut for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves and an invite to the National Draft Combine capped off a successful year for Jackson, whose body of work has propelled him into draft calculations."

Cooper Beecken Draft Profile
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    Cooper Beecken drew a lot of interest after his near best on ground display in the SANFL Futures game at the end of last season. He spent a fair bit of time across the wing this year but has played some of his best footy in defence. He tested strongly at the combine with his performance in the agility test the stand out. His intercept marking is a strength which he was even able to show when stationed on the wing. Growth in his offensive game will be necessary and will compliment the things he does well defensively very nicely.

"When stationed on the wing, Beecken’s intercept marking continued to shine through as a strength of his game. Standing at 190cm, he had a height advantage over many of his wing opponents and used it to great effect. His ability to read the play and impact the contest was important for his side as he consistently thwarted opposition attempts to rebound from defensive 50 and stifled offensive ventures from half back"

Jase Burgoyne Draft Profile
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    I think at this point it seems most likely that Jase finds his way to Port in the second half of the draft, particularly when you look at the Power's draft hand. I think he probably needs a few years in the system to develop physically before he's up to AFL footy. His kicking penetration needs work but outside of that I think his skills are up to the level and he can certainly accumulate the footy on the outside. One of those types who I think doesn't necessarily do too much that blows you away but does most things at a high enough level that'll suggest if the physical development comes, he'll be a contributor at AFL level.

At every level, Burgoyne has demonstrated his natural ability to find the football and accumulate possessions on the outside. His work rate to and from the contest allows him to get separation from his opponent and receive the football with time and space. When finding possession in traffic, Burgoyne navigates his way through congestion and patiently waits to make a decision, before delivering accurately by hand or foot. His decision making and composure with ball in hand makes him an effective rebounder out of defence, where he takes his time to assess his options further afield and deliver on target. It’s across half-back where Burgoyne has played his best football, a position he has indicated is his preference at the next level.

Early November Phantom Draft
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    This was way more painful than I anticipated and I've spent way more time on this than I'd care to admit. The late picks probably aren't in perfect order but it should be reasonably close.

Round 1

Pick 1 North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
    Pick 2 Collingwood - Nick Daicos* (matched bid)
    Pick 3 Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy* (matched bid)
    Pick 4 GWS - Josh Gibcus
    Pick 5 Gold Coast - Finn Callaghan

I don't think there is anything too shocking here. The order of the bids and then GWS passing on Callaghan to select Gibcus are probably the only legitimate variables. Kall Burns spoke on Road to the Draft suggesting that the Suns would be keen to move up but not back, which suggests to me that they probably would like Callaghan. I think the Giants would love to find a trade partner to move back but finding that partner and managing to still get their guy may be a challenge.

Pick 6 Adelaide - Josh Rachele
    Pick 7 Hawthorn - Josh Ward
    Pick 8 Fremantle - Jye Amiss
    Pick 9 Richmond - Mac Andrew
    Pick 10 Fremantle - Neil Erasmus

Rachele to the Crows is seeming more and more likely with the Giants and Suns also rumoured to be interested. Gold Coast I think would be a real threat if the Giants go Callaghan. Pick 8 to Fremantle was my first real headache. If the Dockers are going to take Amiss then it makes most sense to me for them to do it with pick 8 as Richmond could be a possible landing spot for a key forward. I considered Hobbs at 9 and 10 for the Tigers and Dockers respectively but ultimately preferred Andrew and Erasmus.

Pick 11 St Kilda - Ben Hobbs
    Pick 12 West Coast - Matthew Johnson
    Pick 13 Essendon Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
    Pick 14 Port Adelaide - Josh Goater
    Pick 15 GWS - Sam Butler

I really dislike the Saints + Hobbs fit but I just couldn't leave him on the board for any longer. He's probably top 10 on draft night so this feels like a bit of a slide. Interestingly, I think the Saints going Hobbs prevents Johnson from sliding as I think West Coast would favour Hobbs if available. If that played out, I could foresee Johnson getting to the late teens. Port miss out on Wanganeen-Milera but I think an inside midfielder is a bigger long-term need anyway and think Goater could fill that. Butler is probably the first big 'reach' but I'm really starting to get on board with his skillset and think that's someone the Giants would love to add to their list.

Pick 16 Brisbane - Zac Taylor
    Pick 17 Richmond - Jacob Van Rooyen
    Pick 18 Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
    Pick 19 Melbourne - Tyler Sonsie
    Pick 20 Brisbane - Josh Sinn

I've been high on Zac Taylor for a while now and Brisbane I feel are just about the best in the business at developing these types. I know it's not a need and hurts more seeing JVR go next. I don't love the fit but I think Richmond and Melbourne would consider Taylor and so I've locked him away here. Richmond could go a number of different directions here but with options to address the midfield and utilities in the second round, I've doubled down on the key position types. Sydney get some inside midfield help and the Dees and Brisbane get some serious value late in the first round.

Round 2

Pick 21 Fremantle - Arlo Draper
    Pick 22 North Melbourne - Campbell Chesser
    Pick 23 St Kilda - Mitch Owens* (matched bid)
    Pick 24 Hawthorn - Blake Howes
    Pick 25 Geelong - Tom Brown

Draper and Chesser present great value for the Dockers and Roos. St Kilda snag Owens with the Hawks adding some athleticism to their forward half. I really like Tom Brown and considered him for Brisbane in the first round and for North at pick 22.

Pick 26 Hawthorn - Judson Clarke
    Pick 27 Carlton - Connor MacDonald
    Pick 28 Richmond - Darcy Wilmot
    Pick 29 Richmond - Jesse Motlop
    Pick 30 Richmond - Angus Sheldrick

Clarke brings some more speed and x-factor to Hawthorn's forward set up and I think MacDonald can be a key piece to Carlton's midfield in the long term. The big play here is Richmond's haul. After going Andrew and JVR in the first round, they add Wilmot, Motlop and Sheldrick to add to a draft hand that I think balances them really nicely. Wilmot is a great get at 28, Motlop has his fans and though this may be a touch early for Sheldrick, I feel it's a worthwhile gamble with the midfield depth in this draft dwindling.

Pick 31 West Coast - Brady Hough
    Pick 32 Geelong - Rhett Bazzo
    Pick 33 Sydney - Leek Alleer
    Pick 34 GWS - Josh Fahey* (bid matched)
    Pick 35 Geelong - Ronald Fejo Jr

It was around this range where I started hating every passing selection. Hough to West Coast seems reasonable enough, though I would've liked to add some more speed here. Corey Warner could be an option but I think it would be a reach in this range. There's a bit of irony in Sydney taking an under-developed intercept marking key defender after letting Aliir Aliir go last year. I wanted Sheldrick at this pick for the Swans but I'd already sent him to Richmond and I think it's too early for Jack Williams who I think is also an option. The Fahey bid comes and Geelong add some class and x-factor with Ronny Fejo.

Pick 36 Adelaide - Kai Lohmann
    Pick 37 Geelong - Matthew Roberts
    Pick 38 West Coast - Alastair Lord
    Pick 39 Melbourne - Paul Curtis

I have no idea who Adelaide will go with this selection and low key feel like they'll pull a Hugh Stagg or something like that (nothing against Stagg, I just prefer others here). So I just went ahead and picked one of my favourite guys from the pool and went Lohmann who I think fits a need, and with Rachele, adds some genuine x-factor inside our forward half. West Coast add some speed with Lord and Melbourne add Curtis to Sonsie which I absolutely love for them.

Round 3

Pick 40 Sydney - Jack Williams
    Pick 41 Brisbane - Oscar Morrison
    Pick 42 North Melbourne - Corey Preston
    Pick 43 North Melbourne - Miller Bergman
    Pick 44 Melbourne - Taj Woewodin

It gets more and more difficult late but Sydney and Brisbane go key position with Williams and Morrison. I debated between Charlie Dean and Morrison for the Lions. While Dean is probably the safer bet to contribute from day 1, I think Morrison has the greater upside as an interceptor and rebounder. North add class and versatility with Preston and Bergman and Woewodin gets to the Dees with their last selection.

Pick 45 Geelong - Toby Conway
    Pick 46 Essendon - Jamieson Ballantyne
    Pick 47 St Kilda - Marcus Windhager* (matched bid)
    Pick 48 Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Rankin
    Pick 49 Collingwood - Corey Warner

There's not a great deal to love here but Geelong get their ruckman and the Saints get their second NGA prospect. I like Ballantyne and Rankin and think they present a bit of value here, while I don't love Warner to the Pies, there's some potential upside/value late.

Pick 50 Essendon - Kaden Harbour
    Pick 51 Fremantle - Eric Benning* (matched bid)
    Pick 52 Collingwood - Hugh Jackson

There's a pathway for Harbour, Benning and Jackson to all have AFL careers so I think these selections are reasonable enough. Typically a stab in the dark this late in the draft.

Round 4

Pick 53 Hawthorn - Isaac Birt
    Pick 54 Port Adelaide - Jase Burgoyne
    Pick 55 Carlton - Charlie Molan
    Pick 56 West Coast - Ethan Regan
    Pick 57 North Melbourne - Isaiah Dudley
    Pick 58 Adelaide - Hugh Stagg

Nothing too interesting here with Burgoyne and Regan finding their way to Port and West Coast respectively. Molan is some good value late for the Blues. Dudley to North and Stagg to Adelaide is just based on a rumour that was going around at the SA Draft Combine. Brisbane, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Port Adelaide all passing selections.

Round 5

Pick 59 Collingwood - Josh Browne
    Pick 60 Essendon - Cooper Murley
    Pick 61 Western Bulldogs - Youseph Dib
    Pick 62 St Kilda - Charlie Dean

North, Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn and Carlton all passing selections.

Shay Linke Draft Profile
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    The last of my draft profiles is Shay Linke. Linke broke through for Central this season and earned himself a League debut in a win against West Adelaide. He was surprisingly (at least to me) left out of South Australia's State U19 side in the first game against WA but eventually got his opportunity at that level. His 2km time trial at the SA Draft Combine was pretty impressive, running the fastest time for the day, finishing with a 6:22.

"At 190cm, Linke’s size is a unique, complementary piece to his running ability and although by appearance his frame is slight, he possesses enough strength to lay physical tackles on the opposition and compete against bigger bodies. These physical tools also make him competitive in the air where he’s a capable contested mark and strong above his head. Occasionally, when stationed in the forward half at senior level, Linke has been able to hold his own in the air against seasoned and more physically developed defenders, showing an ability to mark or hang in the contest and bring the ball to ground."

Final Rankings + Tiers
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    As part of my final rankings I've tried to group and define tiers. It's been an interesting exercise and has caused some minor movement. It's definitely an imperfect science because there are so many variables and rightly or wrongly, it has slightly shifted my perspective on some players. The most challenging aspect when defining the tiers was how to factor in a prospects projected floor and ceiling within each tier definition. Not every single prospect fits perfectly into their tier but I've tried to give a general indication of how I view that group.

Tier 1
    Top tier talent. Minimal flaws, if any. Hard to envision these guys not playing 150+ games if they stay healthy.
    1. Jason Horne-Francis
    2. Nick Daicos

Tier 2
    Top tier talent with minor flaws. High level of natural football ability with the physical tools necessary to have success at AFL level. Hard to envision these guys not playing 100+ games if healthy.
    3. Neil Erasmus
    4. Tyler Sonsie
    5. Josh Ward
    6. Finn Callaghan
    7. Ben Hobbs
    8. Sam Darcy
    9. Josh Rachele

Tier 3A

Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw that raises just a minor concern. High floor prospects.
    10. Matthew Johnson
    11. Josh Gibcus
    12. Zac Taylor
    13. Josh Goater
    14. Connor MacDonald
    15. Darcy Wilmot
    16. Mitch Owens
    17. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
    18. Tom Brown

Tier 3B
    Easily talented enough to make it at AFL level but possess a flaw/s that raises a minor concern/s. Similar ceiling to 'Tier 3A' but a lower floor.
    19. Kai Lohmann
    20. Josh Sinn
    21. Sam Butler
    22. Campbell Chesser
    23. Rhett Bazzo
    24. Arlo Draper
    25. Mac Andrew
    26. Jye Amiss

Tier 4
    AFL standard traits and obvious role at the next level. Don't quite have the ceiling of the prospects in higher tiers but have a typically well-rounded skill set. Project as serviceable role players at AFL level.
    27. Paul Curtis
    28. Marcus Windhager
    29. Brady Hough
    30. Jacob Van Rooyen
    31. James Willis
    32. Judson Clarke

Tier 5A
    Enough talent to find a role at AFL level and a best 22 ceiling, but still a fair bit of development required to get there.
    33. Mitch Knevitt
    34. Leek Alleer
    35. Miller Bergman
    36. Blake Howes
    37. Cooper Murley
    38. Jamieson Ballantyne
    39. Josh Fahey
    40. Matthew Roberts
    41. Sam Banks

Tier 5B
    Enough talent to find a role at AFL level but relatively low ceiling, probably fringe best 22.
    42. Lachlan Rankin
    43. Charlie Molan
    44. Angus Sheldrick
    45. Ethan Regan
    46. Taj Woewodin
    47. Jesse Motlop
    48. Kaden Harbour
    49. Toby Conway
    50. Eric Benning

Post-Draft Ratings
  • ModernArtillery

Senior List
    Sep 19, 2018
    AFL Club
    Adelaide
    The draft is all done for another year! I've pulled together a brief review to wrap up my thoughts for 2021.

Adelaide
    Josh Rachele (6), Jake Soligo (37), Zac Taylor (44) , Luke Nankervis (PSD)

There wasn't a great deal of surprise when the Crows took Josh Rachele, who adds some much needed x-factor and goal scoring ability in the forward half. Jake Soligo projects as a serviceable type at AFL level and Zac Taylor represents incredible value at pick 44. Luke Nankervis has some appealing attributes and is a worthy project pick. Many would've looked at the selection of Arlo Draper more favourably to Soligo in particular, but aside from that it's hard to fault what the Crows have done here.

Grade: A-

Brisbane
    Darcy Wilmot (16), Kai Lohmann (20), James Tunstill (41)

Wilmot and Lohmann were two of my favourite players in this years draft and with a bit of time I believe both will become really high impact players at opposite ends of the ground for the Lions. I like Tunstill too. I think he's a pretty solid player that doesn't do a great deal wrong. Zac Taylor at 41 would've topped their draft hand off in my books, but solid nonetheless.

Grade: B+

Carlton
    Jesse Motlop (27)

I'm not a huge Motlop fan so I was never going to love this pick, but this was definitely his range and he fulfills a need for the Blues. I would've preferred Sonsie or Clarke here.

Grade: B-

Collingwood
    Nick Daicos (4), Arlo Draper (45), Cooper Murley (49), Harvey Harrison (52), Charlie Dean (R)

Collingwood got great value with all their selections here. The Daicos bid not coming until pick 4 was a huge blessing and the move to get Draper at 45 was incredible value. Murley, Harrison and Dean are all selections that I rate, especially given the position they were taken. I think Collingwood have gone pretty much 5/5 here for me.

Grade: A

Essendon
    Ben Hobbs (13), Alastair Lord (49), Garrett McDonagh (50), Patrick Voss (R)

Hobbs was just too talented for the Bombers to let him slide any further and I'm optimistic about what Alastair Lord could offer at AFL level. I can't knock the McDonagh selection as I honestly have seen next to nothing of him. Patrick Voss is a worthy rookie selection.

Fremantle
    Jye Amiss (8), Neil Erasmus (10), Matthew Johnson (21), Eric Benning (54), Karl Worner (R)

Just an absolutely elite haul from Fremantle and the clear winners of the draft in my opinion. Three top end kids, all locals and all fulfilling needs is an amazing get. Benning was always going to get there with a late selection and rounds out their national selections nicely. Worner is worth a shot as an overage outside midfielder. 10/10.

Grade: A+

Geelong
    Toby Conway (24), Mitch Knevitt (25), James Willis (32), Flynn Kroeger (48), Cooper Whyte (64), Oliver Dempsey (R)

It's not a draft I love but one that's difficult to pick too many holes in, especially given they didn't have a first round selection. James Willis has been one of my favourite's all year, Knevitt is reasonable value at 25 and although I think it was a bit early for Conway, I view him as an AFL standard ruck and think he'll have a decent career. With the remainder of their National Draft selections there were others in that range that I viewed more favourably, though difficult to be too critical of selections in that part of the draft.

Grade: B

Gold Coast
    Mac Andrew (5), Charlie Constable (63), Sandy Brock (R), Bodhi Uwland (R)

Mac Andrew isn't one I would've been eager to take in the top 5 but his ceiling is pretty undeniable. Brock and Uwland are worth a crack for nothing. I'm not convinced that Constable will make it at AFL level and probably wouldn't have used a list spot on him but after the Greenwood loss it's understandable.

Greater Western Sydney
    Finn Callaghan (3), Leek Alleer (15), Josh Fahey (42), Cooper Hamilton (R)

Callaghan is a really good get and as I mentioned in a previous post, whilst I don't love the draft position for Alleer, I do understand the selection. Fahey lasting to the 40's saves some points given he probably could've been bid on anywhere in the second round. Cooper Hamilton has his fans (mainly Shifter) as a rookie selection and is a fair choice.

Hawthorn
    Josh Ward (7), Sam Butler (23), Connor MacDonald (26), Jai Serong (53), Ned Long (R)

I loved what Hawthorn did through this draft. Ward, Butler and MacDonald are all talents I rate really highly and think they're all good list fits for the Hawks. I don't think we've seen the best of Serong yet and although I didn't have Ned Long in my top 50, I do see the allure and if he can put it all together he's a pretty intriguing prospect that is well worth a rookie shot.

Grade: A

Melbourne
    Jacob Van Rooyen (19), Blake Howes (39), Taj Woewodin (65), Judd McVee (R)

Even though I would've preferred other options with pick 19, it's pretty hard to argue with taking Jacob Van Rooyen there, given that was right in his projected range. Howes is tremendous value at 39 and I had Woewodin inside my top 50. McVee isn't one I would've gone with but tough to be too critical of rookie selections. I think ultimately it's a pretty good outcome for the Dees.

North Melbourne
    Jason Horne-Francis (1), Josh Goater (22), Paul Curtis (35), Miller Bergman (38), Jackson Archer (59)

Hard to go too badly when you're getting the best kid in the draft but I loved the Goater, Curtis and Bergman selections as well. Those four in particular represent a really, really strong hand for the Roos. As a fan of a rebuilding team, I'm really envious of what North have been able to do with their list the last few drafts and this another great haul.

Port Adelaide
    Josh Sinn (12), Hugh Jackson (55), Dante Visentini (56), Jase Burgoyne (60), Trent Dumont (R)

Outside of that first selection, it wasn't an overly enviable hand that Port held. Though I don't view Sinn as highly, this was undoubtedly his range and his traits make him easily justifiable at this selection. Hugh Jackson didn't have the strongest second half of the year but I still think he's great value at 55. I'm not overly high on Visentini and Burgoyne but hard to fault those selections late in the piece and Dumont adds some excellent depth for basically no cost.

Richmond
    Josh Gibcus (9), Tom Brown (17), Tyler Sonsie (28), Sam Banks (29), Judson Clarke (30)

I think the Tigers absolutely nailed this draft. A huge influx of speed and class. Sonsie is close to my favourite selection of the whole draft and is unreal value at 28. I think Gibcus and Brown will prove to be really savvy first round selections and I like what Banks and Clarke have to offer. I think the Tigers have genuinely found 5 best 22 players in the long term. Awesome draft.

St Kilda
    Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (11), Mitchito Owens (33), Marcus Windhager (47), Oscar Adams (51), Jack Peris (Cat B), Josiah Kyle (Cat B)

Wanganeen-Milera was right in that range and although I had others ahead of him, it's a completely justifiable selection. Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager represent great value where their bids came and the Saints will be stoked to add both. I think Oscar Adams is an appealing project and whilst I would've preferred him as a rookie selection, there's no guarantees he would've lasted until then. Peris and Kyle are probably long shots to make it but worth at least a year to have a closer look.

Sydney
    Angus Sheldrick (18), Matthew Roberts (34), Corey Warner (40), Lachlan Rankin (58)

Ironically, my favourite selection of Sydney's was their last, as Rankin is one whose game I really enjoy. I mentioned previously that I wasn't a fan of Sheldrick in the first round and I didn't love the Roberts selection as a follow up. I do think both will play a fair bit of AFL footy but I'm just not convinced of their upside just yet. Warner is another that I don't rate particularly highly and although there were others on the board I liked more, this was a relatively justifiable selection given his range.

Grade: C+

West Coast
    Campbell Chesser (14), Brady Hough (31), Rhett Bazzo (37), Jack Williams (57), Greg Clark (62)

I don't mind the Chesser selection. Although there were others I'd prefer at that pick, the talent is obvious and getting a future second out of that swap with Port was a good result. Hough and Bazzo were really solid selections in the second round and raised the floor of this draft haul. I'm not a big Jack Williams guy but it's hard to argue with him at 57. Clark at 62 is a justifiable selection.

Western Bulldogs
    Sam Darcy (2), Arthur Jones (43), Luke Cleary (61), Charlie Parker (R), Robbie McComb (R), Cody Raak (Cat B)

Getting another top end key position talent already makes this draft a big win for the dogs. Arthur Jones is exciting and worth a look after pick 40. Luke Cleary, Charlie Parker and Robbie McComb were a bit of a surprise with late selections. I like the addition of Cody Raak as a Cat B rookie and think he is well worth an opportunity at the level after some strong NAB League form early this year as an over ager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad