More Pagan Criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

scroda

All Australian
Oct 3, 2003
here
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi guys. I would guess most of you don't subscribe to Crikey, but I thought you may want to read below. I know that I am a voracious reader of all things my club - good or bad!

Denis Pagan: it's time the hard questions were asked

David Sutherland writes:

How much longer can the Denis Pagan amnesty last? It's been over three years and for any coach to escape critical examination for that long in footy-mad Melbourne is unprecedented.

Is this restraint by media and fans justified? Perhaps for the first couple of years. Pagan inherited an aging list which had won just three games the previous season, and in his second year he bore the full brunt of the punishment meted out by the AFL for the crimes of John Elliott's administration.

But surely his credit has run out. Or has Pagan cleverly and deliberately manipulated coverage of his team's continued slump to buttress his own position?

When he arrived at Carlton at the end of 2002 Pagan had a win-loss ratio of 63 per cent, an impressive stat when compared even to the very best. 72 games later, he's recorded only 19 wins, a 26 per cent win rate with the Blues.

From the outset Pagan has managed expectations. When Carlton won 10 games in 2004 (more than double the previous season) he was cautiously optimistic. When they won 4 last year (after winning the pre-season comp) he talked again about having lost draft picks. He talked about being patient.

Supporters are now openly questioning the man who arrived with a reputation of being tough and straightforward. The man who could have been hoped, at the very least, to make the players accountable.

Pagan has overseen this group for almost four years, and should have put his stamp on them by now. If there's two things a coach SHOULD be held accountable for, it's attitude and application, and last Sunday against Collingwood those skills were as much in short supply as effective, or even acceptable, disposal by hand or foot.

Denis Pagan has proved, with his sustained success at the Kangaroos, that he can coach a good footy team. It's time for those in the media (especially ex-Carlton great and outspoken commentator Robert Walls, who has taken just about every other coach/player/team to task) to ask, why is Pagan still in the job?

He is in the job?

1/ Because he is contracted until the end of 2008. Unless you or Cammo or whoever else wants to put the money up to pay him out, it is a totally fruitless argument.

2/ The football department have a plan in place. In all essence, 2004 was a year out of the box. We far exceded expectations. It was a quick fix. That is it. We had no draft choices of note. The likes of Mott, Harford, Morrell, Johnson, Kenna, etc. Are gone. Bannister, Teague will be gone this year. McGrath and Scotland, are the only two that wll survive.

3/ The development of the youngsters will continue. Expect 2007 and beyond to see Bower, Hartlett, Russell, Blackwell, Kennedy, Murphy, Betts, Waite, Walker, Fevola, Whitnall, Carrazo, Thornton, Stevens, Flint, Simspon, Bentick etc to be the catalyst and central pieces of this side. Some may struggle to make the starting 22 because of the developing depth.

4/ We are in better shape than you realise. We have had one really bad half of football. Played good footy round 1. An exceptional second half against a good team in Fremantle. The Swans, a loss by a kick. Hawthorn, undermanned, bad disposal that cost us dearly. lacked confidence. Richmond, showed what we are capable of in the first quarter. Waitey, back after injury struggled. A scrappy, affair. Loss by 8 points. Pies. What a first half. Absolute ly smashed in the second half. Smashed by the team on top of the ladder. Horrible to watch! So, why after one really bad half are you guys baying for blood?

I ask, if we win this week, gain confidence, beat St Kilda the following week. Will people still want Denis's head? If we suddenly win 3 or 4 in a row. Will he suddenly be the scapegoat or the messiah?

If we lose the next 3 or 4? What will happen? More kids will be introduced. I will go and watch as I do. I will see the development of the kids.

I will support my team. Unquestionable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back