Mothers Day v Genuine Blockbuster

Remove this Banner Ad

So it’s pretty well established that Mother’s Day is the worst day on the calendar for footy attendance, especially in Melbourne. Everyone is quite rightly treating their mum to some TLC.

That said, footy lovers love good footy.

And well, this year we have a doozy.

1:10pm on Mother’s Day at the MCG we have Melbourne vs St Kilda. For all intents and purposes this is a real cracker of a match.

At time of writing (obviously a couple of weeks out) Melbourne are 5-0 and St Kilda are 4-1.

When both sides have been up and about Dees v Saints games have pulled pretty good crowds, notably 88k in the 1998 semi final and 54k in a home and away match in 2004.

But on average since 1997 they crack 30k.

So, the question is: how does a match between two (admittedly smaller) top 4 (or at least top 8) sides go against the death attendance slot?

Child bearer's day surely...

Go and see your mother in the morning or call them during the match. No excuse to not have a bumper crowd at an early arvo slot

So it’s pretty well established that Mother’s Day is the worst day on the calendar for footy attendance, especially in Melbourne. Everyone is quite rightly treating their mum to some TLC.

That said, footy lovers love good footy.

And well, this year we have a doozy.

1:10pm on Mother’s Day at the MCG we have Melbourne vs St Kilda. For all intents and purposes this is a real cracker of a match.

At time of writing (obviously a couple of weeks out) Melbourne are 5-0 and St Kilda are 4-1.

When both sides have been up and about Dees v Saints games have pulled pretty good crowds, notably 88k in the 1998 semi final and 54k in a home and away match in 2004.

But on average since 1997 they crack 30k.

So, the question is: how does a match between two (admittedly smaller) top 4 (or at least top 8) sides go against the death attendance slot?
It’s weirdly impressive, the uptake of Mothers Day celebrations in Melbourne now. Most people seem to have a brunch at Top Paddock or whatever as the minimum threshold requirement.

I feel a bit bad. My family were never big on the event, and Mother’s Day for me generally involves a whoops phone call two days after the event

Big crowds are overrated. I ******* love an empty stadium, plenty of room to stretch out, fewer peanuts ruining the experience for everyone else, not as many mouth breathers spreading germs all over the place, no queues for the bathroom/food etc. If you only go to big games maybe size matters but for those of us who go every week I’m happy to wait until finals for the blockbuster attendances

Dees had prime time last night and drew 20k to the MCG.

Exactly.
Had a lovely night with friends, some nice wine and gorgeous barbeque spread with amazing homemade chili sauce, cheeky bumps of quality powder, and Dees GWS on the TV in the background.

Ripper night, Dees should be on TV every night.

Big crowds are overrated. I ******* love an empty stadium, plenty of room to stretch out, fewer peanuts ruining the experience for everyone else, not as many mouth breathers spreading germs all over the place, no queues for the bathroom/food etc. If you only go to big games maybe size matters but for those of us who go every week I’m happy to wait until finals for the blockbuster attendances
Yep. Give me a 50 metre radius from any other human at all times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back