Why do giants get only a six day break?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood, finishing 1st, should get the Friday Prelim.

All other games should be set up so everyone gets minimum 7 days breaks.

But the AFL wanted Melbourne v Carlton on Friday. That's what screwed it all up.
That didn't screw it up at all.
If they flipped the Semi-finals, Melbourne and Carlton would have had 9 and 8 day breaks, while Port and GWS would have had 6. Instead it was 8/7/7/7.

It's a legit policy. Basically every season, the highest ranked prelim host (determined after Week 1) locks in the home prelim on Friday night. e.g. Adelaide got the Friday night prelim in 2017, as they finished 1st and won their QF. It's not based on who's playing who.

FWIW, I think there's a case for the non-Vic prelim host getting the Friday night (in the event that there's a 1 Vic and 1 non-Vic club hosting) given the need for travel to Melbourne for the GF, but that's a separate argument.

Thanks for info.

Doesn’t matter what year it is. Collingwood just get more and more advantages no matter what.
Play at the MCG all year, get prime time, the crowds. The advantages just pile on top of each other until you get another and another. Of course you should be finishing above the Giants. It’s set up that way, than because you finish higher you ‘earned’ another one.

It’s ridiculous, time for the AFL to create some more made up rules on the run.

I won’t be moving on. 2022 premiers mate and we had to do it the hard way despite being top. In fact all our flags have come having to play you on your home ground as the home side being completely outnumbered.
I’m not sure how you only have 1 flag in modern history despite getting every resource imaginable.
Yes, the timeslots are the reason we finished 5 games and 20% higher than GWS.

Do you clowns honestly believe the dribble that you post?

Yes, the timeslots are the reason we finished 5 games and 20% higher than GWS.

Do you clowns honestly believe the dribble that you post?
Yes, yes just the time slots. 🤦‍♂️
I’m not actually sure if you’re acutely aware of how lopsided the AFL is in your favour or if you’re taking on the role of clown unintentionally?

Do you honestly not think you get a ridiculous amount of advantages? Does supporting Collingwood make you blind to it all?

We finished 1st and played Melbourne on their home deck. And all the best slots? What *n planet are you on? We played 8 out of 9 games in a row on Sunday afternoon.
Tell me the number of Friday night slots you got vs the Eagles and get back to me. Or even in 2018 for that matter.

Yes, yes just the time slots. 🤦‍♂️
I’m not actually sure if you’re acutely aware of how lopsided the AFL is in your favour or if you’re taking on the role of clown unintentionally?

Do you honestly not think you get a ridiculous amount of advantages? Does supporting Collingwood make you blind to it all?
You’re aware Collingwood actually had the hardest set of double up matches this year, aren’t you? We are consistently on the more difficult end of the fixture, and travel more often than we host interstate clubs.

The one advantage we get is Geelong at the G—which still is on the minor end of advantages.

Still waiting to hear how apparently this equates to a 5 game leg up.

Why are people acting like a 6 day break isn't a regular occurance during an AFL season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re aware Collingwood actually had the hardest set of double up matches this year, aren’t you? We are consistently on the more difficult end of the fixture, and travel more often than we host interstate clubs.

The one advantage we get is Geelong at the G—which still is on the minor end of advantages.

Still waiting to hear how apparently this equates to a 5 game leg up.
I would argue that Carlton had the hardest double ups with GWS , melbourne , st kilda and Collingwood , west and Gold coast - 4 top 8 sides
Not so sure collingwoods were any harder - hawks , bombers , blues , Port Geelong and brisbane - only 3 top 8 sides.
Just saying

Ok well that is the answer then.
So top place west coast are hosting Adelaide and 3rd place Collingwood are hosting Richmond who finish 7th you think the Eagles game would be the Friday night game by AFL law.
Never heard of that law

If WCE (or Freo) want to host a Friday night Prelim then best they relocate to a timezone where people live who watch AFL footy on the telly.

I for one think that all finals should be played simultaneously at 2pm Saturday.

Completely fair.

No one is going to have a problem with that right......

Not true - the broadcaster would have a real problem with that.

And they quite reasonably expect to get what they paid for.

I would argue that Carlton had the hardest double ups with GWS , melbourne , st kilda and Collingwood , west and Gold coast - 4 top 8 sides
Not so sure collingwoods were any harder - hawks , bombers , blues , Port Geelong and brisbane - only 3 top 8 sides.
Just saying
We played Adelaide, not Hawthorn.

Pies’ 6 opponents: 79 wins between them
Carlton’s: 72 wins

That doesn’t even factor in that it’s impossible for Collingwood to play themselves (which falsely skews our number down).

Yes we had one less top 8 side, but instead we got 10th 11th and 12th. Not a single double against a bottom 6 team.

I remember reading a study a few years back that 6 day breaks were negligible, but back to back 6 day breaks when they occurred were quite significant

And a good high performance unit would plan for this if they got it in the draw in the regular season, considering the fixture comes out in Oct/Nov each year.

But we're talking about one 6-day turnaround for the Giants. They've had a 7-day turnaround into Week 2, and a bye into Week 1, so they're not going to lose this match because they've had tough shorter breaks. That bye week would've decreased their 21-day & 28-day loads significantly. No High Performance unit of the finals teams would have run their squads into the ground in the bye week.

The only s**t thing about the 6-day break in this case is the perception. It's for an interstate team who are travelling.

It'll never change - as it's dictated by TV - but not for the first time, scheduling has probably decided a prelim.

Six day breaks and travelling has cost GWS that game imho.

And it just decided a prelim

Along with some horrible umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back