Why do giants get only a six day break?

Remove this Banner Ad

All teams could have had a minimum 7 day break with a sensible fixture.
The fixture is the wrong way around this weekend.
Collingwood should be playing the Giants Saturday. Seemed very much common sense. All sides get a minimum 7 day.
Any reason the obvious didn’t happen?
Collingwood finished first and deserve the chance at an 8 day break to the GF.
Want a better outcome. Don't finish 7th.

Collingwood should be playing the Giants Saturday. Seemed very much common sense. All sides get a minimum 7 day.
Its not about GWS. Its about the pies earning the right for the extra break and the friday night. Its been happening for years with the winner of the highest ranking QF.
This is not new. Its just the right of finishing on top.

Pies had a 6 day break going into the prelim in 2018 v Richmond.

Bar a few rare instances, this is common and has been for decades.

Its not about GWS. Its about the pies earning the right for the extra break and the friday night. Its been happening for years with the winner of the highest ranking QF.
This is not new. Its just the right of finishing on top.

Pies had a 6 day break going into the prelim in 2018 v Richmond.

Bar a few rare instances, this is common and has been for decades.

Ok well that is the answer then.
So top place west coast are hosting Adelaide and 3rd place Collingwood are hosting Richmond who finish 7th you think the Eagles game would be the Friday night game by AFL law.
Never heard of that law

This isn't a new phenomenon, happens every year. Dogs entered the semi in 2021 against Brisbane coming off a 6-day break, as did GWS against Geelong in that same round. They're giving the highest seeded team (Pies) the Friday night game, and the Giants just happen to be their opponent. I do agree though, pretty shithouse from the AFL to add the unnecessary extra difficulty when they could be more mindful of the scheduling

Is there any evidence that sides with longer breaks perform better?
No, not all the time. Richmond didn't perform better in 2018.
Neither did Pies in 2019, but you could put that down to certain other things in that 2019 prelim
2021 port didn't, but Dees performed strongly in both QF and PF
Geelong did similar last year with winning both finals leading into GF

Can vary. I think you've got to be prepared, and try not let the lack of match fitness affect you.

Last edited:
This isn't a new phenomenon, happens every year. Dogs entered the semi in 2021 against Brisbane coming off a 6-day break, as did GWS against Geelong in that same round. They're giving the highest seeded team (Pies) the Friday night game, and the Giants just happen to be their opponent. I do agree though, pretty shithouse from the AFL to add the unnecessary extra difficulty when they could be more mindful of the scheduling

My question is whether it’s a lock and it’s AFL policy or does it depend on the matchups?

My question is whether it’s a lock and it’s AFL policy or does it depend on the matchups?
I don't think the AFL gives even the slightest consideration towards matchups tbh. It's possible there's exceptions, but I thought it was always the case that the highest seeded side gets Friday, which regularly results in their opponent having a shorter break

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that how it works though? I thought it was always about sane breaks for all.

Top ranked team has always got the Friday night match for at least over the last decade. Only one time I can recall where the top ranked team did not get the Friday and I think that was in 2012 or so.

Did you complain when Collingwood got the 6 day break a few years from semi to prelim?

Top ranked team has always got the Friday night match for at least over the last decade. Only one time I can recall where the top ranked team did not get the Friday and I think that was in 2012 or so.

Did you complain when Collingwood got the 6 day break a few years from semi to prelim?

I am not complaining. I have no skin in either game. Just thought it would be a no brainer to give all sides a 7 day break. Clearly not though as it is AFL law/policy.

No, not all the time. Richmond didn't in 2018.
Pies didn't in 2019, but you could put that down to certain other things in that 2019 prelim
2021 port didn't, but Dees performed strongly in both QF and PF
Geelong did similar last year.

Can vary.
Yeah didn't seem to affect the pies too much...

Yeah didn't seem to affect the pies too much...
Sorry I meant it did affect us in 2019 -- that some didn''t perform better is that I meant to imply, but unsure if that was the break or a combination of stuff. Reckon a bit of arrogance, thinking it was just gonna happen. The rain didn't help, as back then could not play in wet conditions (game style didn't allow for it)

The problem isn't the prelim schedule - Collingwood on Friday makes sense

It was the semis - Port and GWS would have had a 6 day break together on the Fri and avoided all of this

But AFL saw Melb and Carl and went 'yeh we want a big Fri night match at the G and whoever wins that we want the best chance of a Vic club knocking off Brisbane'

Top side have been given the Friday game for yonks. Many people don't realise or mind that it could be construed as an advantage ....... until its awarded to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back