Why do giants get only a six day break?

Remove this Banner Ad

If your argument is that 1st deserves no advantage over 7th, then the only logical conclusion is that the season is pointless and football should be decided only through a tournament.

Having an entire season only for the benefit for eliminating just over half the teams and sometimes allocating home ground advantage - and sometimes disadvantage in grand finals - in a new mini-tournament is an incredible waste of everyone's time if you actually think about it.

But of course nobody will actually think about it. We will just go on arguing about the inherently stupid and unfair things that necessarily arise from a structurally stupid and compromised system, without ever coming to terms with how illogical the whole thing is.

First gets all sort of advantages and all we here is breaks don't matter until they actually do.

Also Collingwood like others get the advantage of no matter where they finish they get a home grand final.

Well we are over due for a good run in a final.

Pies vs Cats last year was a disaster

Pies vs Swans which was in Swans favour all night

Pies vs Dees which resulted in Dees getting the rub all night and getting a free pass to throw the ball whenever they wanted.

Sydney last season your joking right? The umpire got Collingwood back in the game.

I think the bigger rort is that they have now decided that the Brisbane prelim should be in the twilight time slot so Carlton can return that day.

Same consideration wasn’t given to the QF up in Brissy so we lost a day after not being able to fly out the same day.

Why the difference? Twilight sucks as a slot to begin with but the prelim should also be a night game.

They completely botched the finals fixture this year with tv ratings taking priority over fairness once again.

I think the bigger rort is that they have now decided that the Brisbane prelim should be in the twilight time slot so Carlton can return that day.

Same consideration wasn’t given to the QF up in Brissy so we lost a day after not being able to fly out the same day.

Why the difference? Twilight sucks as a slot to begin with but the prelim should also be a night game.

They completely botched the finals fixture this year with tv ratings taking priority over fairness once again.
So was it so Carlton could fly out that day or was it tv ratings?

So far this year, GWS has won 75% (6/8) of matches it played after 6 day breaks, and 53% (9/17) of matches it played after 7+ day breaks.

The AFL are clearly trying to rig the competition to get GWS into a Grand Final.

First gets all sort of advantages

So they should. They finished 1st.

If it was Brisbane on top playing GWS you think it would be Friday night.

Answer is no.

The higher ranked team at the end of the H&A season has hosted the Friday prelim for 11 seasons in a row. And you’re out here arguing “WHAT IF” like a petulant child.

This whole thread is embarrassing nonsense, but you’re certainly the MVP of talking absolute garbage.

The first week of finals was purely based on tv ratings is what I meant which completely threw out the following weeks. The prelim time slot is based on Carlton being able to return when we weren’t given that consideration.
Yeah fair enough, maybe they learnt their lesson which is good I suppose. How long has the curfew been a thing in Brisbane?

Looks a bit dodgy first up (especially with the Blues getting 8 days), but win and they get the longer break to the GF ... all swings and roundabouts ... and at the end of the day it probably won't have much effect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first week of finals was purely based on tv ratings is what I meant which completely threw out the following weeks. The prelim time slot is based on Carlton being able to return when we weren’t given that consideration.
Sorry, but this is pretty silly. There's been a standard practice of twilight prelims to allow teams to return home on the day of the game to allow a full week to prepare for a GF. This approach has never been taken to weeks 1 or 2. Your club is not being specifically hard done by here.

So is it AFL policy that the highest ranked team gets the Friday night game or again I will ask does it come down to who is playing who?
Can someone answer if it’s legit policy or not please.
Pretty simple question.

I don’t get why it’s important that preliminary finals are played in a twilight slot so the winner gets to return home but it’s not the case for a semi final winner like the Giants.
AFL says to Giants “ you can come back the next day”
The AFL make them travel all year, have all the poor time slots playing on all sorts of grounds.
Collingwood stay in Melbourne all year with all the best slots so of course they should be finishing higher. You would think the least they can do was help them out somewhat?
Collingwood finish 4th and get undeserved home finals. 1st does not get all the advantages so give me a spell on that rubbish.

The advantage for the qualifying final winner is an extra week advantage. You can’t just assume 1st wins a preliminary final and plan for that.
GWS 7th can get an extra days rest over Brisbane 2nd. That’s a bit silly.

So is it AFL policy that the highest ranked team gets the Friday night game or again I will ask does it come down to who is playing who?
Can someone answer if it’s legit policy or not please.
Pretty simple question.
It's a legit policy. Basically every season, the highest ranked prelim host (determined after Week 1) locks in the home prelim on Friday night. e.g. Adelaide got the Friday night prelim in 2017, as they finished 1st and won their QF. It's not based on who's playing who.

FWIW, I think there's a case for the non-Vic prelim host getting the Friday night (in the event that there's a 1 Vic and 1 non-Vic club hosting) given the need for travel to Melbourne for the GF, but that's a separate argument.

I don’t get why it’s important that preliminary finals are played in a twilight slot so the winner gets to return home but it’s not the case for a semi final winner like the Giants.

Collingwood finish 4th and get undeserved home finals.
Because the semi final is a loser final, it means you either didn't make the top 4 or your lost your first final , hence no advantage.

Collingwood finishes 1st mate, this ain't 2022 time to move on

The AFL make them travel all year, have all the poor time slots playing on all sorts of grounds.
Collingwood stay in Melbourne all year with all the best slots so of course they should be finishing higher. You would think the least they can do was help them out somewhat?
Collingwood finish 4th and get undeserved home finals. 1st does not get all the advantages so give me a spell on that rubbish.

The advantage for the qualifying final winner is an extra week advantage. You can’t just assume 1st wins a preliminary final and plan for that.
So you cant assume that 1st wins their prelim, but then you do assume that 2nd place wins? As stated before, if it was about fairness they would both be played at the same time, but everyone knows that it isn't, its about ratings and trying to work backwards after that to not completely disadvantage one team more than the others.

I'm not 100% but pretty sure when fourth beats first in the QF*, every team ends up with seven days breaks from semi finals on (assuming Friday / Saturday SF and PF).

* (thus switching the assumed order of the preliminary final, with either second or third now hosting on the Friday rather than the minor premiers)

Because the semi final is a loser final, it means you either didn't make the top 4 or your lost your first final , hence no advantage.

Collingwood finishes 1st mate, this ain't 2022 time to move on
Doesn’t matter what year it is. Collingwood just get more and more advantages no matter what.
Play at the MCG all year, get prime time, the crowds. The advantages just pile on top of each other until you get another and another. Of course you should be finishing above the Giants. It’s set up that way, than because you finish higher you ‘earned’ another one.

It’s ridiculous, time for the AFL to create some more made up rules on the run.

I won’t be moving on. 2022 premiers mate and we had to do it the hard way despite being top. In fact all our flags have come having to play you on your home ground as the home side being completely outnumbered.
I’m not sure how you only have 1 flag in modern history despite getting every resource imaginable.

Last edited:

We finished 1st and played Melbourne on their home deck. And all the best slots? What *n planet are you on? We played 8 out of 9 games in a row on Sunday afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back