Preview Moving on - the future begins now

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I think that as a club we can finally say goodbye to the shambles the last 2 years have been.

Since the end of our season we have moved on the Coach, Head of Football, Senior Assistant coach, had a Captain step down, and now the trading of Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Keath, Greenwood and CEY along with some retirements and delistings.

It is fair to say that we have, possibly for our first time ever, gone in to full rebuild mode. This is no minor change, this is full 'burn it down and start again'.

Personally, I'm very happy this has happened (although a year too late which everyone outside the club could see). The experienced group had their chance and the infighting was out of control.

No we get (cue the latest business cliche from Chapman) "Clear air" to start again (although it would be a lot clearer if Chappy had any integrity at all).

So with a clear line drawn in the sand, what is next? For me, it is more exciting than heading in to the 2019 season that is for sure. Yes I expect us to be in the bottom 8 and probably finish around 11th or 12th, but at least we have a plan to move forward with.

The other great news is that if you were a young player at the club, you KNOW that your opportunity is coming. If you were Gallucci, or Sholl, or Hamill, or Davis, or Stengle, or McAdam, or Jones or even McPherson, you have to be excited about the opportunities that you are going to get. You would be jumping out of your skin to be ready for the season.
In fact I'm pretty sure McHenry was so excited he went for a short jog the other day and ended up in Broome...

It has been a very tough fall from 2017 to now, but I'm more excited now than I have been for some time.
Amen.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why some take it as a given that we will bottom out this year. I agree that we could. But look at the players who have left.
....Since the end of our season we have moved on the Coach, Head of Football, Senior Assistant coach, had a Captain step down, and now the trading of Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Keath, Greenwood and CEY along with some retirements and delistings.

It is fair to say that we have, possibly for our first time ever, gone in to full rebuild mode....
To the 6 names above let's add Douglas and Otten as pickable players.

Who of those 8 were partly responsible for our being as high as 4th place at the turn this year?

Jenkins - NO
Betts - NO (take out a couple of soft bags and Eddie had a lean year, tackle rate down too)
Jacobs - NO
Keath - YES. But ready-made replacement in Doedee.
Greenwood - NO
CEY - YES
Douglas - NO
Otten - NO

So, why can't we at least contemplate being 4th at the turn next year? IMO the reasons we faded badly in the run home and slipped 7 places in 9 games, were primarily between the ears of players and coaches.

cheers

[edit: I see Betts are off did a similar post to mine, while I was typing... :) ]

Definitely agree with point 1. Preferably a mid who has some pace as well.

Interesting to hear that Reid said one of our priorities was to bring in a young ruck. I wonder if we go down the path of the pick swap with GWS, thinking we can grab Dylan Stephens and maybe Luke Jackson from WA (200+cm mobile and super athletic ruckman).
Wouldn't be the worst result.
GWS don't actually have that much to offer us, and the future 1st is always a risk with a team that loaded with talent.

If we are looking for a good trade back Freo would be the team i'd be on the phone too (7,10,22,58). Would love to jag lose that 7 and 10, don't see it happening though. They seem pretty perfectly positions to execute their draft plan!

Talia
Brown
Laird
Kelly
Doedee
Smith
Seedsman
Sloane
M Crouch
B Crouch
Lynch
Walker
Hartigan
Milera
Gibbs

All established players.

O'Brien
Fogarty
Murphy

all played this year.

Jones, Gallucci, Stengle, Davis, Himmelberg all had a taste.

Those last 2 groups will be exciting, like the untried players and new draftees.
There is another group of talented players yet to bebut

McHenry
McAdam
Butts
Scholl
Hamill

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, I think that as a club we can finally say goodbye to the shambles the last 2 years have been.

Since the end of our season we have moved on the Coach, Head of Football, Senior Assistant coach, had a Captain step down, and now the trading of Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Keath, Greenwood and CEY along with some retirements and delistings.

It is fair to say that we have, possibly for our first time ever, gone in to full rebuild mode. This is no minor change, this is full 'burn it down and start again'.

Personally, I'm very happy this has happened (although a year too late which everyone outside the club could see). The experienced group had their chance and the infighting was out of control.

No we get (cue the latest business cliche from Chapman) "Clear air" to start again (although it would be a lot clearer if Chappy had any integrity at all).

So with a clear line drawn in the sand, what is next? For me, it is more exciting than heading in to the 2019 season that is for sure. Yes I expect us to be in the bottom 8 and probably finish around 11th or 12th, but at least we have a plan to move forward with.

The other great news is that if you were a young player at the club, you KNOW that your opportunity is coming. If you were Gallucci, or Sholl, or Hamill, or Davis, or Stengle, or McAdam, or Jones or even McPherson, you have to be excited about the opportunities that you are going to get. You would be jumping out of your skin to be ready for the season.
In fact I'm pretty sure McHenry was so excited he went for a short jog the other day and ended up in Broome...

It has been a very tough fall from 2017 to now, but I'm more excited now than I have been for some time.
Excellent Post .

I'm not sure why some take it as a given that we will bottom out this year. I agree that we could. But look at the players who have left.

Who of those 8 were partly responsible for our being as high as 4th place at the turn this year?

Jenkins - NO
Betts - NO (take out a couple of soft bags and Eddie had a lean year, tackle rate down too)
Jacobs - NO
Greenwood - NO
CEY - YES
Douglas - NO
Otten - NO

So, why can't we at least contemplate being 4th at the turn next year? IMO the reasons we faded badly in the run home and slipped 7 places in 9 games, were primarily between the ears of players and coaches.

cheers

[edit: I see Betts are off did a similar post to mine, while I was typing... :) ]
Great minds mate!

Will it though? I'm not that sure it will be as bad as what people might think. Despite what the AFL media want us to believe our spine and midfield are still intact, and look at the existing coverage of the players we've lost.

SAUCE: ROB, Strachan, Berg, Frampton = Win
DOUGLAS: Gooch, Milera, Jones, Ned = Win
BETTS: Gooch, Stengle, McAdam, Murphy = 50/50
KEATH: Doedee, Kelly, Hamill, McPherson = If Doedee comes back without drama, Win
GREENWOOD: Gibbs, Poholke, Wilson, Jones, Sloane (I genuinely believe it time for him to start a Greenwood like rotation in 2020) = WIN (although his pack marking will be missed)
JJ: FOG, Berg, Frampton = MASSIVE WIN
CEY: Gibbs, Poholke, Wilson, Crouches x 2 = I like CEY, but he's absolutely coverable with the guys we have, WIN
OTTEN: Butts (admittedly the role of depth KPD is a little light now). = LOSS (for now)

Sure we lose experience, but the guys we are replacing these "experienced guys" with are all in their 2nd to 5th year in an AFL system are are either already showing, or have the pedigree to show much more then the past players going forward!

I think they and the team in general is way more ready to go then people are giving them credit for!
But but guru Kornes doesn’t share the enthusiasm. In fact apparently the Crows will not be able to compete at all next season.

But but guru Kornes doesn’t share the enthusiasm. In fact apparently the Crows will not be able to compete at all next season.
I love hearing Kornes say bad stuff about us... With his hit rate in predictions it almost always certainly means we are going to go great!

Didn't he predict us to win the Premiership last year?

We're off to a good start but our defensive gameplan has got to go. Before anyone says that will just automatically happen with a new coach remember that it (the defensive style of ours) survived craig and sando's sacking (it further evolved under sando), walsh's death and pyke's appointment. It is the beast that refuses to die.

Actually we could keep it, we just need to add an extra system an "extra numbers back" system.

IMO we never had a strategy coach before because why would you need one when your plan was to "back in the plan" or do the plan "better". That we're now considering a strategist also hints that we will be open to customising things, hopefully our defensive methods are front and center of that.

Sums it up for me perfectly

Well done - great post!! :thumbsu:

I will never fully move on from 2017... i will never get over that GF loss. It haunts the hell out of me. new era yes but until we get a flag i will never get over these past 3 years.

I will never fully move on from 2017... i will never get over that GF loss. It haunts the hell out of me. new era yes but until we get a flag i will never get over these past 3 years.

But you must move on and let go.

I was the same, but I genuinely feel that the Club for the first time since the disaster of the 2017 GF has made positive inroads to rectifying the damage.

Sure it will take time but we need to give the Club the opportunity to move on from that sad day and the aftermath.

As I said it could be much worse. Crows could have won their last two games, in 2019 played in finals, got knocked out week 1 and we would still have most players and coaches at the Club with the slogan "back them in" one more time for 2020.

I can assure you that the next time the Club makes a serious assault on the flag we will be a completely different entity to the one that existed the week before the GF.

Mistakes were made, lets hope lessons were learned.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins - NO
Jacobs - NO
Greenwood - NO
CEY - YES
Douglas - NO
Otten - NO

cheers

I would argue playing some of those older guys too much actually cost us games last year.

Particularly the games RoB and Sauce played together.

Not sure we have lost anything from the Grand Final side of 2017.
I have listed our Grand Final team against what could be our Round 1 Side depending on what unfolds in the draft.
All I'm hearing is the media seem to think we are in a world of pain with the personnel we have lost, the 2020 team looks OK to me..

2017 Adelaide Grand Final Team

B: R. Laird, K. Hartigan, J. Lever
HB: P. Seedsman, D. Talia, L. Brown
C: D. Mackay, R. Sloane, R. Atkins
HF: C. Cameron, J. Jenkins, E. Betts
F: T. Lynch, T. Walker, R. Douglas
FOLL: S. Jacobs, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: R. Knight, J. Kelly, H. Greenwood, A. Otten
EMG: W. Milera, A. Keath, R. O’Brien

"Proposed" 2020 Team

B: R. Laird, K. Hartigan, T. Doedee
HB: P. Seedsman, D. Talia, L. Brown
C: W. Milera, R. Sloane, C. Jones
HF: B. Smith, D. Fogarty, J. Galucci
F: T. Lynch, T. Walker, L.Murphy
FOLL: R. O’Brien, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: R. Knight, J. Kelly, E Himmelberg, B. Gibbs
EMG: W. Frampton, R.Atkins, D. Mackay N. McHenry

Appreciate your honesty
I too felt much the same pin pointed from the loss of Walsh for me
The GF loss and all the disasters that followed that this Club allowed to happen is an absolute nightmare
Frustrating because we could see the problems but felt powerless
Disgusted at our selection policy is an understatement

The review, a new Coach and other staff is a very good reason to become hopeful again
Draft next month and a pre season to follow.
A lot to look forward to

My favourite thread. This is the team we support in thick and thin. Sure it has frustrated the hell out of us at times, and we have taken a lot of bad with some limited good. Can't wait to see the new direction and a new start. It will be two steps forward and one step back at times. Bring it on. Actually love all those saying it is impossible, we will fail. Backs against the wall. Here we go.

I want to move on, but there are still people at the club who oversaw the damage that was done in the past. I don't see how they can just be let off the hook and it almost feels like they're trying to use the whole "move on" philosophy to avoid any accountability or scrutiny for their past failures. For me, there are still questions this club needs to answer and it feels like, yet again, the club has managed to find a way to avoid answering those questions. Remember, they were using these same tactics when they were overseeing our club's fall from grace.

Again, I want to move on, but the club hijacked my passion for football at the highest level almost 30 years ago and since they managed to capture my passion for football, they also get the scrutiny that comes with that. I won't move on until the club answers all the unanswered questions from the past, or delivers me a premiership, or the people that are still there in highly influential positions have left (because there's no way they'll ever have to worry about being sacked or voted out, we hardly have any voting rights and we wouldn't even sack Trigg for the damage he did to our club).

The club has too much of a history of deceptive, secretive behaviour where they keep having serious issues and trying to cover them up. Remember, the external review didn't look at the board or administration, the same people who created, implemented and fine tuned public relations. They're responsible for making me seriously suspicious of how the club is run and they're all still there, hoping we can all move on and forget that they were the ones at the top, overseeing the damage being done to the club. For me, it feels like there is too much effort going in to protecting their image (possibly so they can all justify keeping their jobs) and they will sacrifice honesty and integrity to achieve it, even if it means paying some of Eddie's salary so he keeps silent about the camp.

As far as the on field product goes and the coaches, I'll move on, but others at the club haven't earned that right, the club deserves to continue to be scrutinised until they change their ways, the same ways that have damaged this club on multiple occasions in the past. I moved on after the Trigg nonsense, even though they tried to blame fans for the Tippett scandal and broke promises about answering questions. But what happened after many fans were gracious enough to move on despite being treated like crap? They screwed the pooch again AND they tried to put all the blame on the football department as if they didn't sign off on the people that were hired. No, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. There will be no moving on until I have gotten what I believe I'm owed for almost 30 years of mental and financial investment in this club.

I'm not looking for people to agree with me, just explaining why I can't and won't be moving on.

I want to move on, but there are still people at the club who oversaw the damage that was done in the past. I don't see how they can just be let off the hook and it almost feels like they're trying to use the whole "move on" philosophy to avoid any accountability or scrutiny for their past failures. For me, there are still questions this club needs to answer and it feels like, yet again, the club has managed to find a way to avoid answering those questions. Remember, they were using these same tactics when they were overseeing our club's fall from grace.

Again, I want to move on, but the club hijacked my passion for football at the highest level almost 30 years ago and since they managed to capture my passion for football, they also get the scrutiny that comes with that. I won't move on until the club answers all the unanswered questions from the past, or delivers me a premiership, or the people that are still there in highly influential positions have left (because there's no way they'll ever have to worry about being sacked or voted out, we hardly have any voting rights and we wouldn't even sack Trigg for the damage he did to our club).

The club has too much of a history of deceptive, secretive behaviour where they keep having serious issues and trying to cover them up. Remember, the external review didn't look at the board or administration, the same people who created, implemented and fine tuned public relations. They're responsible for making me seriously suspicious of how the club is run and they're all still there, hoping we can all move on and forget that they were the ones at the top, overseeing the damage being done to the club. For me, it feels like there is too much effort going in to protecting their image (possibly so they can all justify keeping their jobs) and they will sacrifice honesty and integrity to achieve it, even if it means paying some of Eddie's salary so he keeps silent about the camp.

As far as the on field product goes and the coaches, I'll move on, but others at the club haven't earned that right, the club deserves to continue to be scrutinised until they change their ways, the same ways that have damaged this club on multiple occasions in the past. I moved on after the Trigg nonsense, even though they tried to blame fans for the Tippett scandal and broke promises about answering questions. But what happened after many fans were gracious enough to move on despite being treated like crap? They screwed the pooch again AND they tried to put all the blame on the football department as if they didn't sign off on the people that were hired. No, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. There will be no moving on until I have gotten what I believe I'm owed for almost 30 years of mental and financial investment in this club.

I'm not looking for people to agree with me, just explaining why I can't and won't be moving on.

Right now, we have Chapman resigning in a year. Probably just need Roo (and potentially Fagan, I'm on the fence with that one) to move on and we've cleaned up.

Though, of course, there is that unfortunate risk that Chapman is either lying or picking his successor.

To be fair to Kornes (and I hate being fair to him), I think he was referring more to lack of experienced depth. We still have a very solid core to support all of the young players who will finally get their opportunity, but if we get a bad run of injuries to those experienced players, it could be exposing the youth more than we'd like.

After losing so many members of staff and players I hope Adelaide can turn their fortunes around in the next couple of years. We need a strong contingent of interstate clubs to keep the Vic teams honest.

Also I hate Port Adelaide because they are the Freo Dockers of South Australia, and it sh*ts me to tears watching them be better onfield than you guys. Hurry up and start squaring the Showdown ledger!

I would argue playing some of those older guys too much actually cost us games last year.

Particularly the games RoB and Sauce played together.

Giving/gifting farewell games and playing cooked players in the finals rounds cost us a finals place imo.

The arrogance of Pyke/selection committee thinking they knew better was palpable to say the least.

After losing so many members of staff and players I hope Adelaide can turn their fortunes around in the next couple of years. We need a strong contingent of interstate clubs to keep the Vic teams honest.

Also I hate Port Adelaide because they are the Freo Dockers of South Australia, and it sh*ts me to tears watching them be better onfield than you guys. Hurry up and start squaring the Showdown ledger!

+1

I think its unfair you have such a soft baby brother trying to be tougher than the Eagles. Seriously must be humiliating being a Freo supporter when you compare the Eagles success to theirs.

Crows really should have won at least one more flag in either 00s or the 2010s. That for me was a failure by the Club.

Port will need a cleanout and fortunately we started a year ahead of them. They could reach Freo standards without too much help if they continue their slide.

+1

I think its unfair you have such a soft baby brother trying to be tougher than the Eagles. Seriously must be humiliating being a Freo supporter when you compare the Eagles success to theirs.

It went pear-shaped for you lot when you let Port win a flag. Now they think that they're a legitimate football association with a million SANFL flags to their name.

Ya gotta keep that boot firmly and squarely planted on the throat at all times. If little bro is only ever concerned with beating you then they never get the opportunity to win a premiership and legitimise themselves to the wider AFL. Don't let it happen again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back