Preview NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle. Sun 13th, Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkinspired

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After a restless 5 months or so, football (in some shape or form) is back! Hawthorn travel to Patersons Stadium for a 20/20 cricket style encounter against West Coast and Fremantle.

Hawthorn have announced that they will go young with Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Brad Sewell, Cyril Rioli and Shaun Burgoyne all likely to be rested.

Fremantle have a few injury concerns with Barlow, Morabito, Schammer, De Boar, Hill, Hayden and Ballantyne all unlikely to play.

West Coast have only ruled out Waters and Kerr at this stage.

As Hawthorn will play their games back to back they will have a reduced squad compared to West Coast and Fremantle who have a 1 hour break between matches.

New Rules;

2011 NAB Cup trial rules and explanations:

1. A player awarded a 50m penalty which takes them inside the 50m area can elect either to kick from outside 50 for nine points, or kick from inside 50 for six points

It was felt that a player awarded a 50-metre penalty which would advance him inside 50, should be given the opportunity to decide whether he kicks from outside 50m for nine points, or take the full 50m penalty to kick from inside 50 for six points.

2. Official scorer can assist with scoring decisions by reference to technology
If a video replay is immediately available, the goal umpire can consult with the official scorer to determine the correct decision. There is no avenue for players to refer decisions.

3. Boundary umpires pay free kicks for holding and high contact at stoppages
As an extension to the 2010 NAB Cup trial, boundary umpires may pay free kicks for obvious holding or high contact infringements. They will not pay any other form of free kick.

4. Free kick against player who drags or holds ball under opponent
As an extension of the rule trialled in the 2010 NAB Cup, the umpire may pay a free kick against a player who drags the ball under his opponent, and may also pay a free kick against a player who holds a ball under his opponent, when he is trying to knock it out.

5. Last touch out of bounds
To be trialled in the first round of matches only, a free kick will be paid against the last player to touch the ball before it went out of bounds. A free won’t be paid if the umpire is unable to determine who touched the ball last, if the ball goes out of bounds from a spoil after a marking contest or if the ball goes out of bounds as a result of a defensive smother to a kick or a handball.

Re: NAB CUP - Hawthorn vs West Coast vs Fremantle

That last one will never make it into the AFL.

Fremantle also have a reduced squad ........... it is the eagles who will get to test out a 35 man squad and are taking the NAB cup seriously (which I believe is a 1st for Jonnie, who usually treats them with contempt).

That last one will never make it into the AFL.
The fact it's a ridiculous rule almost guarantees we'll see it in the AFL within 12 months.

First I'd heard of it, but it's no surprise to me.....the rules committee must only meet once they've had there fill at Young and Jacksons, it seems.

It bewilders me as to why the AFL is the only sport in the world that MUST continually change the rules. I reckon I would post this once a year, but FFS, leave our game alone.

Fremantle also have a reduced squad ........... it is the eagles who will get to test out a 35 man squad and are taking the NAB cup seriously (which I believe is a 1st for Jonnie, who usually treats them with contempt).
I don't think this will change just because we've got a close to full squad available and lots of players to gauge.

Considering the pplayers we are likely to play, I doubt we will beat a freash Freamantle. West Coast 50/50. Honestly I just can't wait for round 1!!!!!!

For those who are interested there is an opening training session from 12pm for about 30 minutes - entry through gate 8. Players will apparently be available for signatures after the training.

There is also a bbq and face painting before training outside gate 8 at 11.30am where you can also pick up some hawk merchandise.

Team for these matches in perth already named but just not right out there in public.

The fact it's a ridiculous rule almost guarantees we'll see it in the AFL within 12 months.

First I'd heard of it, but it's no surprise to me.....the rules committee must only meet once they've had there fill at Young and Jacksons, it seems.

It bewilders me as to why the AFL is the only sport in the world that MUST continually change the rules. I reckon I would post this once a year, but FFS, leave our game alone.
They trialled it years ago and it didnt work.
Wouldnt surprise me if the current administration dont even remember.

I distinctly remember Andy Collins talking about how unnatural it was to purposefully avoid getting the ball.

Anyone know what if any TV arrangements there are this weekend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely to be shown overseas, especially if it's a foxtel game. I was able to acquire a NAB Cup game replay from a "rhymes with abhorrent" 2 years ago, hopefully someone does the same again

Ok so where the hall can I watch this in Sydney..

A pub somewhere I guess - what time on Sunday is this being broadcast on Foxtel?

Unlikely to be shown overseas, especially if it's a foxtel game. I was able to acquire a NAB Cup game replay from a "rhymes with abhorrent" 2 years ago, hopefully someone does the same again

You should be able to download a recording of every match about 24 hours after the match using this method. PM me with your email for info if you need it (and that goes for all Hawks fans on the board too).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back