NAB Cup Round 1 - Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to disagree with you re Patfull, I thought he stood up down back, definately saved a goal with a very late tap.
I think some of us had higher expectations in an offensive sense. We've seen how well Patfull can defend against a range of opponents but there's some attacking potential there that I'd like to see him utilise.

Check out Bay 13...."Travis Johnstone a complete ###### or misunderstood" thread...post 22..

Tried not too, but I laughed at the mental picture this post created...:D

:eek: OMG...could I be warming to Fev?? :eek:

I didn't mean to start a furore re Patfull- I just thought he had an ordinary game, just like I thought he struggled after his broken jaw last year [as you would expect]. He'll fight his way back into the scheme of things. And I agree, when we're at our best Patfull is a great attcking weapon- one running goal at the Gabba off half back particularly sticks in my mind.

I think Patfull is an integral part of our backline, and as my family will attest a super cool dude under pressure. I reckon with Maguire back at CHB, with Clarke a rotating backline swingman, we are well on the way to throwing a lot of problems at opposition forward coaches.

Incidentally, as one who has bagged TJ pretty relentlessly, I thought he looked at home in the backline yesterday. However, good with the bad, there was one very obvious occasion where he definitely pulled out of the oncoming contest- not a good look, and one I'm quite sure Voss will take up with him.

The only good thing to come out of the game was Alastair Lynch's comment about Travis Johnstone as he went off to the bench. With Travis sporting a wild looking beard and hairstyle Lynchy said "here comes Alby Mangels" for those of us old enough to remember his show with the lovely Judy Green, I thought it was most amusing in an otherwise crappy day!

I thought it was most amusing in an otherwise crappy day!

Why was it a crappy day?

We lost by less than the interchance infringement, no injuries, Fev played like a leader in trying conditions, Buchanan starred early, and our young mids really stood up and had a dip. :thumbsu:

Pretty positive overall.

Fortunately or unfortunately I didn't get to the see the game so can't really comment to much.

One question - did Sherman get a tag and if so how did he handle it.

As for Luke Power being our forward crumber not sure if it is the way to go. Basically he struggles now days to kick a goal from 40m out. It would kill his percentage. Even you small crumbers have to be able to push them through from at least the fifty zone.

As for Luke Power being our forward crumber not sure if it is the way to go. Basically he struggles now days to kick a goal from 40m out.

I've never understood this knock on Power TBH. It seems to be one of those myths that gets perpetuated. OK, he's not a massive kick, but get decpetive distance on his kicks. Would've though he would kick from 50 and get the distance 9 times out of 10 from a set shot.

I've never understood this knock on Power TBH. It seems to be one of those myths that gets perpetuated. OK, he's not a massive kick, but get decpetive distance on his kicks. Would've though he would kick from 50 and get the distance 9 times out of 10 from a set shot.

Not trying to knock the guy just my observation and opinion that he is better suited elsewhere. 9 out 10. I think Luke might play that one down.

Not trying to knock the guy just my observation and opinion that he is better suited elsewhere. 9 out 10. I think Luke might play that one down.

Haha, well, admittedly that assessment is made from watching him at training rather than in a game scenario. It's a bit like asweetly-struck 5-iron - goes that bit further than you'd expect through the air and he normally lands it about 2 metres over the goal line. During a match his MO is to hit up the leading forward from around the 55-70m range, so you don't really get to make a call in that respect.

With Travis sporting a wild looking beard and hairstyle Lynchy said "here comes Alby Mangels"

Trapper could run out looking like chewbacca for all I care - as long as we get A grade Trav - I'm a happy man. Not sure about a full time kick in role though - I recall a lot being short and to the pocket. (Edit: although the weather probably was the reason on that one...)

As for the associated sledges, I'm sure there's more to come... ahem ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the other aspect is that even if he doesn't get the journey there is no better player in the side to take the short pass option to one of our 'targets'.

In case anyone is interested I stumbled across some you tube highlights from this game:

1st half

[YOUTUBE]jmWley__dsM[/YOUTUBE]

2nd half

[YOUTUBE]IFUEtqlUHvc[/YOUTUBE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back