Nathan Buckley - Next North Melbourne coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably enjoying his time thinking he's a comedian on whatever that Saturday night show is called.
Actually, the skit involving 2 Riewoldt's, Bucks, Dipper and Del Santo, was quite good, well written, and well performed. Legitimately funnier than anything I can recall from Billy Brownless and John Newman.

No, go for a gun young coach who is hiding away as an assistant and get the next big coaching item.. not a coach over the hill who other clubs moved on. They moved them on for reasons.

If not for 1 dubious unpaid free kick he'd been a premiership coach and likely not moved on. But given he didn't and the time he was in charge it was right for a change and breathe of fresh air in the club.

He lost a gf by a kick at the death-knell clearly he can coach.

Now in saying that the brand he had us play the last 2 seasons made me want to stick pins in my eyes.

Fact is a current assistant taking on the senior coaching role at North is career suicide.
Ordinary team, ordinary club which requires a complete shakeout.

Needs a coach who has some experience, is comfortable with their own reputation (to take the role on) and is at least respected in the industry.

Buckley is the only pundit in the media that a) is able to string a coherent sentence together without sounding like a bogan and b) doesn't speak in a grating Australian accent that sounds like he just stepped off the turnip truck

Even without winning or coaching a flag I'm sure he's still happy with the decision to not go to North. Your club is a basket case and will continue to be so for a long time.

Acting like someone isn't good enough for the shinboner spirit is part of the problem at North, especially given no one wanted the job except a bloke desperate to be a senior coach.

I mean a North fan posting that is hardly "part of the problem" lol, that's just a weak crack at North based on nothing. Who have North turned down for that reason? Part of the issue is no one wants to come to North, it's not that North is turning down good people. Flog comment.

Why isn't he employed ?

Why isn't Clarko employed?

Because clubs have to move on eventually.

Ratten and Voss are doing alright. Stupid thought to think a coach can't improve themselves, or that they can't do better with a different group.

If Buckley was interested in coaching North (without needing a mega contract we couldn't pay out if he failed Ala Scott) we'd be silly to not get him. Would be the best coach we've had since Pagan. I don't think the 2018 Pies were that good list wise tbh, their GF key talls were Goldsack, Howe and Langdon really which is battling out of its weight division v Kennedy, Darling and the resting ruck + a marking small like Ryan, their key forwards were Cox and Mihocek which again nothing against Mihocek but up against McGovern...they had a bunch of role players at their best in Aish, Greenwood, Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Phillips, Sier and Josh Thomas - plus Varcoe, aside from Varcoe all played their career best footy under Buckley.

Add to that since then they've also had huge contract mistakes contributing to list issues (Buckley didn't sign the contracts), and they had the Do Better review which was always going to take scalps...

If Buckley didn't have the FIGJAM nickname as a player people would see how well he coached in the 2nd half of the 2010s. But he's still disliked from his playing days so it colours people's opinions of him

I don't think the 2018 Pies were that good list wise tbh, their GF key talls were Goldsack, Howe and Langdon really which is battling out of its weight division v Kennedy, Darling and the resting ruck + a marking small like Ryan, their key forwards were Cox and Mihocek which again nothing against Mihocek but up against McGovern...they had a bunch of role players at their best in Aish, Greenwood, Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Phillips, Sier and Josh Thomas - plus Varcoe, aside from Varcoe all played their career best footy under Buckley.
Our keg defenders on the day weren’t that great but we had injuries to Moore, Dunn and Schareberg. Even Goldsack who eventually played was coming back from a knee injury. Most of the Dunn and Scharenberg were the key talls with Langdon and Howe supporting so for most of 2018 we still had good defence stock. The list was allot better than what the grand final suggested. We could have Keeffe as well buck Bucks decided to play him as a keg forward/ruck the year prior and delisted him so lack of key defenders is still on him.

Up forward was also Buckley’s fault. He didn’t rate key forwards and preferred mobile marking half forward and we barely targeted key forwards during his tenure.

Mayne was also a player Buckley shouldn’t have persisted with. Directly countered our fast ball movement style that year by being slow and short every time he had the ball.

I would like to see it look how Voss is doing at his second chance. Buckley could finally get that premiershup

Big difference between Voss and Buckley's tenures, one became a laughing stock and very very lucky to get another crack at it, the other made multiple prelims and missed a flag by a kick.

Whilst I was ready for a new coach Buckley wasn't too far from it and imo just needs the right assistants to off set his seriousness. Why budda hocking and longmuire complimented him so well in 2018.

Buckley can coach on his day but he can’t develop talent. Would be awful for North. He’s Brad Scott level.

If he’s to have another crack at coaching it needs to be at a side who have a good list to work with, but need a change upstairs. GWS or Essendon, for example

Yeah I reckon he could turn Essendon into a real powerhouse again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckey is looking stylish as hell on Fox footy right now. North could pick him up as wardrobe consultant

Buckey is looking stylish as hell on Fox footy right now. North could pick him up as wardrobe consultant

What if he dished out some tough (but fair) criticism of the North players regarding their fashion sense?

He could lose the players, and then they'd respond by putting no effort into their wardrobe on gameday.

61601197de48--23679-656d77.png

How do you like the smiley face, Bucks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back