Nathan Buckley - Next North Melbourne coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, because he was so successful as a coach at Collingwood.
In his 10 seasons there, he had 5 years in finals, 5 out. That is the definition of average.
Huge pass.

I'd much rather we brought Clarko or Simmo home. Blokes who know what it takes to win flags and embraced the Shinboner Spirit.

You can have Simmo, done a good job for us but it’s time for a new challenge. Get it done.

I'd be happy with Bucks personally. Would make for a weird bit of irony if he finally won his elusive premiership with us.

Happy for Horne-Francis to stop and prop and look for a safe 15 metre sideways option?

Buckley was a below average coach from the get go. Yes me made a GF but so have 10 other sides from the period 2012 to 2020. Out of the 7 sides that have missed out making a GF.. you'd be pretty disappointed if you were a Bris or Port fan. So you're looking at 10/12 sides capable of making a GF that did get there. And he's not a great defensive coach either.. he's not going to teach your lads anything about it. You want to see how your back 6 perform against the opposition's back 6 .. not park the bus and have 16 of your players defend the pill. That's not defence. That's a cover up for a bloke that never did know how to coach.

Is that what you want.. is that what you want?

Last edited:
it is always hard for a club to see their way out of tough times

a high profile appointment at the club be it a coach, chair or captain helps but I feel a strategic thinking coach who can develop players is the key. Is buckley that?

I'd be staggered if we haven't approached Clarkson if we are still as bad as we are by the end of the year.

You just can't be a professional ruthless club if you don't go after a x4 premiership coach who is there for the taking and used to play for your club and wants to return to coaching.

7bc2a.A_Clarkson_1.jpg

Agreed, he is bloody brilliant on Fox Footy.

But he has such a brilliant high IQ footy brain, it would be a travesty if he never coaches again.

Never really considered the Port connection seriously, not sure if he would want to pack up Melbourne and leave his kids behind tbh.

Still firmly believe the North job is perfect for him in 18 months time.
Seriously WHY would you start this thread? It’s never going to happen not from either party.

Even without winning or coaching a flag I'm sure he's still happy with the decision to not go to North. Your club is a basket case and will continue to be so for a long time.

Acting like someone isn't good enough for the shinboner spirit is part of the problem at North, especially given no one wanted the job except a bloke desperate to be a senior coach.
Get off your high horse, bulldogs supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw I am not trying to undermine David Noble here, but I think it's obvious he is just another caretaker/fill in coach, much like Matthew Knights, Brendan McCartney and Brendon Bolton were for club's who decided to blow it up and embark on a full rebuild.

I think Noble will get to the end of 2023, and if they (understandably) don't show significant improvement/growth in wins and losses, he will be moved on

And this is where Buckley comes in. He is the big name coaching name the Roos need, and has been linked to them both as a player then a replacement for Laidley before the Pies panicked and started their controversial succession plan.

Bucks to me strikes me as a career coach who isn't it in for the money or glamour, but really up for the challenge of coaching, and I think North at the end of 2023/start of 2024 would be a very appealing job for him, especially as I firmly believe Jason Horne-Francis is the closet thing I have seen to him as a young player, both with his high standards of professionalism and yes self-belief/arrogance (no bad thing imo)

Bucks has always struck me as someone with a chip on his shoulder/need to prove his haters/critics wrong, which I think meshes perfectly for North and their Shinboner spirit.

Just think it would be a perfect fit for both parties, but still 18 months away as I say, but I firmly believe Nathan Buckley is the right man to well make North a force to be reckoned with again
What does Buckley offer north as coach? He isn’t anything special tactically and he s**t at managing personalities.

What does Buckley offer north as coach? He isn’t anything special tactically and he s**t at managing personalities.
I think tactically Bucks is underrated, and he strikes me as one of the better man-managers out there. I also think he has a huge capacity to reflect and change. Sure there were some stuff ups at the Pies (Treloar mainly), but much of that wasn't of his making, and I've no doubt he wouldn't repeat those. I'd be looking hard and asking the question if I was North.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think tactically Bucks is underrated, and he strikes me as one of the better man-managers out there. I also think he has a huge capacity to reflect and change. Sure there were some stuff ups at the Pies (Treloar mainly), but much of that wasn't of his making, and I've no doubt he wouldn't repeat those. I'd be looking hard and asking the question if I was North.

Not sure what makes you think he’s a good man management. His whole coaching career he had to axe blokes he couldn’t get on with.

Not sure what makes you think he’s a good man management. His whole coaching career he had to axe blokes he couldn’t get on with.
Primarily because he's made some blues along the way. He's shown an ability to change and improve, I don't see how this aspect of his game would be any different. Also North Melbourne could do possibly do with some my way or the highway.

Primarily because he's made some blues along the way. He's shown an ability to change and improve, I don't see how this aspect of his game would be any different. Also North Melbourne could do possibly do with some my way or the highway.

I don’t think he improved he just had less issues with player because everyone who did have issues was axed.

Ratts and Vossy have clearly learnt from previous coaching mistakes at their new clubs too.

Until the last couple of years, I feel like Buckley overachieved as coach with the Pies list (they had no business making the 2018 Grand Final)

I don't believe Clarkson is a realistic option for North (i am sure the AFL have got plans in place to take over at GWS or Gold Coast), I honestly believe Bucks is the next best available coach on the market after Clarko.

Also Buckley is an accomplished media performer and a favourite amongst journos like Slobbo, which I feel would be beneficial to a struggling club like North, who need all the positive coverage they can get.

It would incredible for Buckley's already impressive CV if he could make North a powerhouse again.

Zero chance Buckley chooses to take the North Melbourne bullet - it's a bonafide death wish.

Bucks will end up taking over Essendon, bookmark it.

Buckley has been very good in the media, adding some bristle to the otherwise allyouneedislove feel. I hope he doesn't get any coaching role so he can stay put.

Probably enjoying his time thinking he's a comedian on whatever that Saturday night show is called.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back