Nathan Buckley - Next North Melbourne coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Btw I am not trying to undermine David Noble here, but I think it's obvious he is just another caretaker/fill in coach, much like Matthew Knights, Brendan McCartney and Brendon Bolton were for club's who decided to blow it up and embark on a full rebuild.

I think Noble will get to the end of 2023, and if they (understandably) don't show significant improvement/growth in wins and losses, he will be moved on

And this is where Buckley comes in. He is the big name coaching name the Roos need, and has been linked to them both as a player then a replacement for Laidley before the Pies panicked and started their controversial succession plan.

Bucks to me strikes me as a career coach who isn't it in for the money or glamour, but really up for the challenge of coaching, and I think North at the end of 2023/start of 2024 would be a very appealing job for him, especially as I firmly believe Jason Horne-Francis is the closet thing I have seen to him as a young player, both with his high standards of professionalism and yes self-belief/arrogance (no bad thing imo)

Bucks has always struck me as someone with a chip on his shoulder/need to prove his haters/critics wrong, which I think meshes perfectly for North and their Shinboner spirit.

Just think it would be a perfect fit for both parties, but still 18 months away as I say, but I firmly believe Nathan Buckley is the right man to well make North a force to be reckoned with again
How is the bucks rated an elite coach? His gamestyle was shot at Collingwood, look at Collingwood this year, far more improved under McCrae.

The only thing I agree with is Buckley Horne Francis analogy, he is a spitting image of bucks at the Bears

Btw I am not trying to undermine David Noble here, but I think it's obvious he is just another caretaker/fill in coach, much like Matthew Knights, Brendan McCartney and Brendon Bolton were for club's who decided to blow it up and embark on a full rebuild.

I think Noble will get to the end of 2023, and if they (understandably) don't show significant improvement/growth in wins and losses, he will be moved on

And this is where Buckley comes in. He is the big name coaching name the Roos need, and has been linked to them both as a player then a replacement for Laidley before the Pies panicked and started their controversial succession plan.

Bucks to me strikes me as a career coach who isn't it in for the money or glamour, but really up for the challenge of coaching, and I think North at the end of 2023/start of 2024 would be a very appealing job for him, especially as I firmly believe Jason Horne-Francis is the closet thing I have seen to him as a young player, both with his high standards of professionalism and yes self-belief/arrogance (no bad thing imo)

Bucks has always struck me as someone with a chip on his shoulder/need to prove his haters/critics wrong, which I think meshes perfectly for North and their Shinboner spirit.

Just think it would be a perfect fit for both parties, but still 18 months away as I say, but I firmly believe Nathan Buckley is the right man to well make North a force to be reckoned with again
Lolololol 😂😂

Even without winning or coaching a flag I'm sure he's still happy with the decision to not go to North. Your club is a basket case and will continue to be so for a long time.

Acting like someone isn't good enough for the shinboner spirit is part of the problem at North, especially given no one wanted the job except a bloke desperate to be a senior coach.
He'd never admit it if he wasn't happy. He missed out on winning at least two flags by going back on his word.

Even without winning or coaching a flag I'm sure he's still happy with the decision to not go to North. Your club is a basket case and will continue to be so for a long time.

Acting like someone isn't good enough for the shinboner spirit is part of the problem at North, especially given no one wanted the job except a bloke desperate to be a senior coach.

1 flag in 68 years ? Raging success.

i hope he never coaches again he’s improved fox footy tenfold..

send him to port and hinkley to the suns since for some reason players love kenny

i hope he never coaches again he’s improved fox footy tenfold..

send him to port and hinkley to the suns since for some reason players love kenny

Agreed, he is bloody brilliant on Fox Footy.

But he has such a brilliant high IQ footy brain, it would be a travesty if he never coaches again.

Never really considered the Port connection seriously, not sure if he would want to pack up Melbourne and leave his kids behind tbh.

Still firmly believe the North job is perfect for him in 18 months time.

For sure man, I've always said 0 flags is better than 2.

For sure man, I've always said 0 flags is better than 2.

I have always admired you North fans for putting up with such blatant trash talking/trolling about your club in such a good natured and humorous way.

The Filth Wizard is my favourite mod in this forum, he is a rascal and a good lad, and a credit to your fanbase

I have always admired you North fans for putting up with such blatant trash talking/trolling about your club in such a good natured and humorous way.

The Filth Wizard is my favourite mod in this forum, he is a rascal and a good lad, and a credit to your fanbase

I'm also an Arsenal supporter, sometimes you just have to keep your sense of humour drawn on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also an Arsenal supporter, sometimes you just have to keep your sense of humour drawn on.

As a Leeds fan, my humour has all been sapped.

Happily Carlton finally coming good and the Celtics in the NBA playoffs helps.

Agreed, he is bloody brilliant on Fox Footy.

But he has such a brilliant high IQ footy brain, it would be a travesty if he never coaches again.

Never really considered the Port connection seriously, not sure if he would want to pack up Melbourne and leave his kids behind tbh.

Still firmly believe the North job is perfect for him in 18 months time.
In the era of greater soft cap restrictions, a coach can’t rely so much on their assistants, and needs to be an all rounder - an astute strategist, man-manager, match day tactician, and PR front man.

Buckley is a pretty complete package. When you compare him to someone like Dimma, who is a great man manager but has struggled without senior assistants having major input into overall strategy and on game day, Buckley covers pretty much all bases. He lost some of the players at the end but I think that’s because he put his hand up to try and do his bit to fix a problem not of his own making - the salary cap debacle - by moving players on.

I actually think in the new soft cap era he’d be a better coach, compared to his peers, than ever. Would be great for North or several other clubs.

I would like to see it look how Voss is doing at his second chance. Buckley could finally get that premiershup

7 games in - let's see where Voss/Carlton are in 3 years time before we declare it a success.

Honestly no idea how David Noble got the gig in the first place.

Ps, Buckley the oracle? I don't see it. 25 years plus as a player / coach and still can't win one. Interesting for a bloke who left Brisbane to "win premierships"

He inherited a machine from Malthouse too

We can't all be huge clubs like Footscray bro.

To be honest I find it quite funny the bitterness that North brings out of some footy fans. I think for the most part it comes from people who'd made very bold predictions that North weren't going to be around in the mid 2000s, and feel a bit silly that they got it so wrong.

And here we are in the 2020s, and people are still pulling out the "your club won't be around in 5 years". Some people never learn lol

Honestly no idea how David Noble got the gig in the first place.

Ps, Buckley the oracle? I don't see it. 25 years plus as a player / coach and still can't win one. Interesting for a bloke who left Brisbane to "win premierships"

He inherited a machine from Malthouse too
Paul Roos recommended Noble.

Buckley missed at least five potential Flags with us or Brisbane, well at least some of those five.

Then he went on to lose two as a player and another as a head coach.

Ha ha.

Paul Roos recommended Noble.

Buckley missed at least five potential Flags with us or Brisbane, well at least some of those five.

Then he went on to lose two as a player and another as a head coach.

Ha ha.

The Buckley / Bears stuff is overplayed. The same supporters who laugh at that decision are the same ones that pity and too rated kid who gets drafted by Gold Coast and salivate at the thought of poaching them asap. Post Buckley leaving, Bears benefited massively from the Lions merger and then the ongoing salary cap relief to keep a huge group of stars together.

And as it relates to North, doubt Buckley cares. He may not have a flag, but he had a great career at one of the highest profile clubs in the country which will always continue to yield $$$ into the long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back