Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seemed to lack a yard last year, hopefully that was a first year player issue (fatigue) rather then an actual lack of pace.

I didn’t notice that. What were the circumstances? Was it v smaller opponents? On the spread back to goal? When taking aggressive positions? Making offensive positions? When attempting to shutdown on the lead?

It’s slightly concerning given the roles he’ll be expected to fill in the seniors with the emergence of Roughead and Moore blossoming how he has. Projecting forward he’s likely to find himself on a lot of third tall types to free up the likes of Howe, Langdon and Scharenberg so I hope it was a first year problem.

I didn’t notice that. What were the circumstances? Was it v smaller opponents? On the spread back to goal? When taking aggressive positions? Making offensive positions? When attempting to shutdown on the lead?

It’s slightly concerning given the roles he’ll be expected to fill in the seniors with the emergence of Roughead and Moore blossoming how he has. Projecting forward he’s likely to find himself on a lot of third tall types to free up the likes of Howe, Langdon and Scharenberg so I hope it was a first year problem.

Just something I noticed in his limited AFL games on leads and in general never seemed to be able to get separation or space. I would need to go back and rewatch the games to be so specific as what you have asked.
Could be many reasons why, wait and see how he looks moving fwd i guess. I know there are big wraps on him from the club so we'll see.

Disappointing that he didn't end up playing today. Now he's just about run out of time to make any kind of an impact this year, with only two VFL games remaining (as things stand). Hopefully we get to see more of him next year, and he gets a chance to show what he can do!

Disappointing that he didn't end up playing today. Now he's just about run out of time to make any kind of an impact this year, with only two VFL games remaining (as things stand). Hopefully we get to see more of him next year, and he gets a chance to show what he can do!
Looking very much like a lost year. Great shame.

Maybe he plays just a few VFL Games. Gets some touch.
Then training hard with the finals players.

A big pre-season and hopefully 2020 he begins to show his skill set.

Looking very much like a lost year. Great shame.

Maybe he plays just a few VFL Games. Gets some touch.
Then training hard with the finals players.

A big pre-season and hopefully 2020 he begins to show his skill set.
Yep. It's been a disappointment because Murphy was one of the (few) young players we'd have thought might really come on in 2019. With a bit of luck the VFL side could still play finals, so you never know!!

On another note, Saintly, I just have to ask (sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere!). What happened with the avatar?! Did you run out of horsey pics, or did BigFooty introduce a limit on how often people can change their avatar in a set period of time (and you were found to be well over the limit)?!!

I saw him play forward in a couple of reerves games. Has potential as a half forward hit up target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. It's been a disappointment because Murphy was one of the (few) young players we'd have thought might really come on in 2019. With a bit of luck the VFL side could still play finals, so you never know!!

On another note, Saintly, I just have to ask (sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere!). What happened with the avatar?! Did you run out of horsey pics, or did BigFooty introduce a limit on how often people can change their avatar in a set period of time (and you were found to be well over the limit)?!!
Nathan M was my break out player this year.
It’s going to (hopefully) be 2020.

Re the avatar, just going more incognito for a bit. Don’t really go on the game day threads as much lately, same with the wash ups, pre game threads etc.

Avatars can be changed constantly, if one wants to.
A little less from me feels a lot better.
I might at some point just pop a new pic in, see how the feel hence feels.

Re the avatar, just going more incognito for a bit. Don’t really go on the game day threads as much lately, same with the wash ups, pre game threads etc.

No worries, mate.

I won't go near game day threads now - I've hardly ever looked at them, but there's just too much idiocy on display in that thread for my liking! If we win I might check out the post-game thread, but prefer to stick to spots where those types aren't running amok. Unfortunately, we still have known trolls posting here and spreading their poison. I don't understand why such people are tolerated, given that they are only here to cause trouble.

Was going to mention that pony pic the other day, the Kelly's are good friends with the Kobritz family

No worries, mate.

I won't go near game day threads now - I've hardly ever looked at them, but there's just too much idiocy on display in that thread for my liking! If we win I might check out the post-game thread, but prefer to stick to spots where those types aren't running amok. Unfortunately, we still have known trolls posting here and spreading their poison. I don't understand why such people are tolerated, given that they are only here to cause trouble.
Yeah freedom of speech is so old fashioned in the brave new PC world.

Yeah freedom of speech is so old fashioned in the brave new PC world.

(1) Um, freedom of speech is a PC concept?

(2) Sure, people are welcome to freedom of speech ...

... but people are also welcome to tune out mindless dross.

(3) Freedom of speech does have limits (even in the US where it is enshrined in the constitution)

Last edited:
Looks to have grown a little too.

Seemed to lack a yard last year, hopefully that was a first year player issue (fatigue) rather then an actual lack of pace.
I don’t know if he’s grown a yard. Maybe a few extra feet but let’s not get carried away.

Put him in the sheds now imo. Get him in the gym flat out now until pre season and he’ll be raring to go 2020. Hopefully has some more luck because we could have used him this year.

Put him in the sheds now imo. Get him in the gym flat out now until pre season and he’ll be raring to go 2020. Hopefully has some more luck because we could have used him this year.
Whilst it’s important to build him up in the gym, I think it’s more important to get him more experience playing and getting used to the game itself. Remember that he was a late comer to AFL.

Whilst it’s important to build him up in the gym, I think it’s more important to get him more experience playing and getting used to the game itself. Remember that he was a late comer to AFL.
I saw enough in his couple of games to know he’s going to be up there. He’s got the talent just needs the size imo.

All those seers who knew we “should have got rid of” Reid and Wells years ago, can you let us know if we should get rid of Murphy now? I want to avoid too much pain if he’s not going to make it due to his body.

Geez that's a tough one. I mean Murphy's had what 1-2 injuries compared to Reid's 2711 and Well's 4-5 year struggle with his calves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back