Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies. I dont remember him playing.
That’s ok, really not surprising. I think the kid needs some good luck for a change and he be right to go

When the club has been talking up our future, they constantly mention Quaynor (understandably), Josh Daicos (understandably), the Brown brothers ...

... and Keane (Played 1 game
of senior footy?!?), Kelly (Played 3/4 of a game of senior footy?!?) and sometimes even Wilson gets thrown in there ...

... but never Murphy.

Murphy is going into his third year, so he’s been retained beyond the requisite 2 years for a draftee, so he must have shown something at some stage. Is he on the outer now?
He didn't look out of place in his debut, he is one of those guys who lost most out of last year's lack of VFL competition.

i'm not entirely sold on him, however, I do think he needs another couple of years on the list.
Madgen seems to have taken his opportunities ahead of him now.

He’s a slow tweener with Broomhead-like durability. We need him to bulk up a little and establish a role for himself.

We have a potentially concerning proclivity for taking “versatile” players (e.g. Henry, Ruscoe, Murphy). I’m ok with it if they’re truly versatile, i.e. they can play multiple roles, but not if they simply lack attributes to play any one role well.

He’s a slow tweener with Broomhead-like durability. We need him to bulk up a little and establish a role for himself.

We have a potentially concerning proclivity for taking “versatile” players (e.g. Henry, Ruscoe, Murphy). I’m ok with it if they’re truly versatile, i.e. they can play multiple roles, but not if they simply lack attributes to play any one role well.

post of the day award...

When the club has been talking up our future, they constantly mention Quaynor (understandably), Josh Daicos (understandably), the Brown brothers ...

... and Keane (Played 1 game
of senior footy?!?), Kelly (Played 3/4 of a game of senior footy?!?) and sometimes even Wilson gets thrown in there ...

... but never Murphy.

Murphy is going into his third year, so he’s been retained beyond the requisite 2 years for a draftee, so he must have shown something at some stage. Is he on the outer now?
Is this the club media team? I’d imagine guys who have already played games and father sons are an easier sell to the uninformed then Nathan Murphy.

What really confuses me is that the club came out and said that they rated him at pick 6 in his draft year, yet over the last two years they haven't even given him a chance to show his wares in the seniors, even at points where our form has been bad and we've had injuries to similar players (Scharenberg, Howe, Langdon etc.). Yet Tyler Brown, a similar player in terms of his development physically (who plays in a role which requires you to be physically developed) was given 9 games.

There is also a question of our inconsistency in regards to dropping players that are out of form, Will Hoskin Elliott had a crap year and yet he wasn't dropped once.

God there is so much about this year that's a mess, I could write a ******* essay about all of it if it wasn't a huge waste of time.

What really confuses me is that the club came out and said that they rated him at pick 6 in his draft year, yet over the last two years they haven't even given him a chance to show his wares in the seniors, even at points where our form has been bad and we've had injuries to similar players (Scharenberg, Howe, Langdon etc.). Yet Tyler Brown, a similar player in terms of his development physically (who plays in a role which requires you to be physically developed) was given 9 games.

There is also a question of our inconsistency in regards to dropping players that are out of form, Will Hoskin Elliott had a crap year and yet he wasn't dropped once.

God there is so much about this year that's a mess, I could write a ******* essay about all of it if it wasn't a huge waste of time.
He's been injured a lot of the time he's been there. The other point is he hasn't settled down to an actual position yet. Forward or back remains to be seen and whose place does he take down back - keys Moore or Roughead? Down forward - keys Cox or Mihocek? Flanks down back - Quaynor or Maynard? Flanks down forward - Elliot or WHE?

He's always injured isnt he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. Oliver Henry seems to be the latest example.

Versatile is okay, but they need weapons that can differentiate at at least one position. We do seem to recruit a lot of medium tall, medium paced, forward/back/utility types and they don't seem to make it.

He’s in fact heading into his fourth year 76, as he was drafted at the end of 2017. Bit concerned with how little he has played, understanding also he’s had injuries. Was expecting to see him a lot this season, and it didn’t happen. At all. And he wasn’t injured all year.

If you are 3 years on a list, with no games, you need something.

Not sure what it is with him.

He’s played as many games as Keane and Kelly combined (2)

Sadly, there’s a strong correlation between a senior vacancy and a Murphy injury. If there’s anything positive out of that it’s that they’re largely impact injuries. The kid goes where angels fear to tread. I’d like to see him on a wing in that Mayne role. I think that’s where he’s most suited. He’s not all that quick but Mayne has shown you don’t need to be, and I doubt he’s any slower than Mayne. He’s also a better mark and a better user. Reads the play well.

Last edited:
With Mihocek up forward not sure what Murphy would offer there.
Well we have played Reid, Mihocek and Cox on the forward line together.
If he doesn't have better agility than Reid, Mihocek and Cox, and doesn't offer something 'different', what is his value?
Cox plays 1 or 2 good games a year. Surely we can do better than that.

Sadly, there’s a strong correlation between a senior vacancy and a Murphy injury. If there’s anything positive out of that it’s that they’re largely impact injuries. The kid goes where angels fear to tread. I’d like to see him on a wing in that Mayne role. I think that’s where he’s most suited. He’s not all that quick but Mayne has shown you don’t need to be, and I doubt he’s any slower than Mayne. He’s also a better mark and a better user. Reads the play well.
Mayne is tough, can tackle, and probably the hardest worker on the field. Not sure Murphy has any of those 3. Still I'd prefer to have a wingman who has pace. I'm unconvinced with 'talls' being wingmen. I think only Richo and Reiwoldt are the only two who kind of played that role well towards the end of their careers, and they were already exceptional players.

I keep thinking about guys like Keplar Bradley who were talls with pace who were going to revolutionise the wing position and failed. And I think if the bombers have that role earmarked for Cox, then that's will be another bust for them.

Well we have played Reid, Mihocek and Cox on the forward line together.
If he doesn't have better agility than Reid, Mihocek and Cox, and doesn't offer something 'different', what is his value?
Cox plays 1 or 2 good games a year. Surely we can do better than that.
It’s not lack of agility I’m worried about it’s lack of strength and power. I’d prefer another pack crashed to compliment Mihocek not another agile lead up type.

It’s not lack of agility I’m worried about it’s lack of strength and power. I’d prefer another pack crashed to compliment Mihocek not another agile lead up type.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. He could have played a couple of games on he forward line as a leading target who can take a mark like a Gunstan. Just add some variety in there. He isn't a key position player.

Having said that, the glimpse we had of Will Kelly suggests he may be a lot more exciting prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back