Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see him standing body on body against Gawn and managing to spoil.
The club website lists him at 192cm/97kg now, which seems quite heavy for someone of his height.
He is noticeably stronger across the shoulders. I hope that leads to more robust joints and more time on the park.
Handy if he can stand someone so tall and provide meaningful support to Moore and Howe. Much more likely to keep his eye on the ball than Madgen and therefore to impact the contest.
Also takes some pressure off Chaz Dean to develop, albeit he will be required to replace Howe, who is playing the second tall role and can offer defensive as well as offensive/intercept play.

Great to see him standing body on body against Gawn and managing to spoil.
The club website lists him at 192cm/97kg now, which seems quite heavy for someone of his height.
He is noticeably stronger across the shoulders. I hope that leads to more robust joints and more time on the park.
Handy if he can stand someone so tall and provide meaningful support to Moore and Howe. Much more likely to keep his eye on the ball than Madgen and therefore to impact the contest.
Also takes some pressure off Chaz Dean to develop, albeit he will be required to replace Howe, who is playing the second tall role and can offer defensive as well as offensive/intercept play.
97kgs seems a bit odd to me. That's the same height and weight as Checkers, who is significantly more built.

If he was blessed with Langdon’s pace I’d think he’d ultimately end up the better player. If he remains on the park of course. As it is, I think they’ll be in the same discussion.
I think he seems to have the smarts and positioning to compensate for the lack of closing speed that Langdon had. His ball use is also a class above Langdons, so I won’t be surprised at all if he becomes regarded as a better player by the end of his career.

I’m just praying now that he has a long injury free run. It’s been nearly all impact injuries so fingers crossed he’s out of the woods, and maybe the size he added will help him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy’s form has been nothing less than transformative. And coming about just as Roughy retired, it’s almost remarkable. For a change, the footy gods have been kind to the Pies.
He’s another that will mature and improve his craft, love the way he goes about it. He didn’t look out of place early, dropped off but has really bounced back and filling a big hole.

I think he seems to have the smarts and positioning to compensate for the lack of closing speed that Langdon had. His ball use is also a class above Langdons, so I won’t be surprised at all if he becomes regarded as a better player by the end of his career.
Langdon was pretty good mate I would love the version of him pre the knees, I like Murphy always have and it be great for him to get a fair crack at it but Langdon was a fine player for us for 6 or 7 seasons before injury but if Murphy gets near that standard that will a great result for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back