Remove this Banner Ad

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It has been well documented that Josh Fraser and Jack Anthony have been underperforming this season.

But instead I would like to draw attention to Shane O'Bree and Cameron Wood. Unlike Fraser and Jack neither have even been consistant or dominant at VFL level which is very disappointing. Shane O'Bree has been great for a number of seasons and I am very disappointed not to see him continue to perform up to AFL standard, whether on the fringe or not, this season he has looked like nothing special at VFL level. Cameron Wood has had his chances to nail the no.2 spot after Josh Fraser has appeared ordinary, but just hasn't shown anything close to what is expected, not finding the ball around the ground and is not having a great enough influence on games. Whether or not either were in your best 22 comming into the season (personally had O'Bree just being in there and Wood amongst the emergencies) most would have agreed comming into the season that both were top 25 players at the club and should be there abouts selection wise for most of the season.

This season neither are playing like even top 30 players. It is their responsibility to play up to standard and continue to play quality football whether in the 1s or 2s. Let's hope this pair play some better football over the next month because the more players playing AFL quality football the more pressure there is on our best 22 to continue to perform strongly.

O'Bree won't get back in barring injury. Of the 22 that beat St Kilda, 2 have to come out for Cloke and Maxwell which is already a very tough decision. Then you've got Dick who is best 22 as well and there's just no way O'Bree can squeeze in unless he somehow finds career best form in the next few weeks.

Wood, well what can you do. He doesn't look interested at all.

Cameron Wood lol that guy is a tool and a complete waste of space... whenever i see him play a game the only time i remember him touching the ball is from the occasional hit out. Personally i think he should be delisted. What happened to JA? last season he was good from the games i seen, now he is pretty shocking...

I hope Wood is traded. Absolute waste of space even in the VFL. He never looks interested and doesn't have enough intensity. Doesn't look like he wants to play for the jumper. I'm really disappointed in Wood considering we gave away a first round pick for him.

I really do believe OBree is gone next season and that Wood is already signed to Goldcoast. No i don't have any concrete evidence but i am going on a good hunch. Neither look interested. Good outcome if both is true.

wood has the skills and the talent, he just doesnt want it at all. i was really excited by him since we got him and i thought he came along quite a bit last year with some really encouraging performances as first ruck in the seniors, but this year he has been pathetic.

i was at eve nightclub on the thursday of the mid season break i think it was and about 9 or 10 pies players were there. our boys really seem to love that place lol. but yeah wood was a mess, you see this 6 foot 8, 100 kg bloke stumbling all over the place, walking into every second person. seems like a nice guy, very apologetic and all, but he'd be better off taking notice of some of his teammates, especially beams and mcaffer from memory who i doubt even had a drink. fair enough it was the mid season break, but it showed me he wasnt serious about his footy at all. i wouldnt lose slepp if we moved him on at the end of the year

also for those who are interested, trav cloke was a massive tosser, the guy thinks too highly of himself, to put it nicely. i was very surprised. doubt the bashing he got in queensland wasnt entirely unprovoked

You'd think O'Bree will retire at the end of the season, clearly doesn't have a place in the team anymore and is not getting any younger. Shame that he ain't playing at a great level in the VFL but to be realistic he doesn't have a lot to play for at this stage and he probably knows it. I can't say I'm all that disappointed in him, he has been a good contributer over the years but his time is coming to an end.

I don't know what's up with Wood, he's had a great opportunity to have a spot in the team, certainly there were some great signs late last year but that seems to have amounted to very little, he's been in the system a long time now and there's little to show for it. We gave up a first round pick for him, which clearly shows we had faith in his talents, yet he's done little to suggest he was worth trading for. No doubt he has been really disappointing, I thought at the start of the year that he would take over from Fraser as the second ruckman, he's had that opportunity yet he hasn't taken it.

SOB is gone. As many have said, too many youngsters have gone straight past him. IMO, he will retire at season's end as he is very unlikely to feature in the seniors again this season.

Wood is an interesting one. Definitely seems to not be taking the next step but we have a bit of a "ruck crisis" at the club with only 3 genuine ruckmen on the list in Jolly, Fraser and Wood. IMO, he needs to be retained (unless we are bringing in someone else from elsewhere) because we would be left with absolutely zero ruck depth in the compromised years of the draft.

Josh has been in pretty solid form in the twos. His form is an absolute bonus leading into finals if he is up and running. He is another (despite the popular view that he should be gone) who is required at the club due to lack of ruck depth. At 28, he still has a few seasons left in him until we find a young replacement in the future.

SOB is gone. As many have said, too many youngsters have gone straight past him. IMO, he will retire at season's end as he is very unlikely to feature in the seniors again this season.

Wood is an interesting one. Definitely seems to not be taking the next step but we have a bit of a "ruck crisis" at the club with only 3 genuine ruckmen on the list in Jolly, Fraser and Wood. IMO, he needs to be retained (unless we are bringing in someone else from elsewhere) because we would be left with absolutely zero ruck depth in the compromised years of the draft.

Josh has been in pretty solid form in the twos. His form is an absolute bonus leading into finals if he is up and running. He is another (despite the popular view that he should be gone) who is required at the club due to lack of ruck depth. At 28, he still has a few seasons left in him until we find a young replacement in the future.

Good post dt13.

If Jolly went down longterm, we would really be in the shite.

Given Josh's decline, Wood's disinterest and seeming lack of any desire or maturity, and no apparent other real options, it may be trade time next year, we have to get very serious.

It may be, with our plethora of excellent young mids, spare forward or two, spare back or two, we need to be prepared to trade a big name.

Would be hard to do to offer up a young gun, but we could surely cover their loss, better than loss of Jolly?

**** Wood, i'm really disappointed with him and his apparent attitude, he is significantly compromising our club's future chance of success.

What would having a guy like Mumford or Jamar, beside Jolly, do for our chances?

Sweet good to know wood is out of here (hopefully). Does anyone know how that mcnamara (spelling?) is going? Yeah i also cant see much happening with fraser.. i think mick will give him his 200th then leave him at VFL/emergency.

I think medhurst needs to improve... i cant really remember him doing anything this year. Anyone else reckon?

wood has the skills and the talent, he just doesnt want it at all. i was really excited by him since we got him and i thought he came along quite a bit last year with some really encouraging performances as first ruck in the seniors, but this year he has been pathetic.

i was at eve nightclub on the thursday of the mid season break i think it was and about 9 or 10 pies players were there. our boys really seem to love that place lol. but yeah wood was a mess, you see this 6 foot 8, 100 kg bloke stumbling all over the place, walking into every second person. seems like a nice guy, very apologetic and all, but he'd be better off taking notice of some of his teammates, especially beams and mcaffer from memory who i doubt even had a drink. fair enough it was the mid season break, but it showed me he wasnt serious about his footy at all. i wouldnt lose slepp if we moved him on at the end of the year

When Wood has too much to drink he turns into the dopiest bloke ever. I've witnessed it a few times now, he just staggers and giggles.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think S.O.B can or should be on the end of any roasts. I think it's simply gone past him. It would be hard to mentally get yourself up for a game when in reality it is pretty much going through the motions.

Wood on the other hand has been massively disappointing with his effort and work rate. He has been given chances and hasn't taken them nor earned new ones. It is a worry because he is such an important part of our future, currently we have Jolly, Fraser who you can't imagine going on past this year and then Wood who currently seems to be going through the motions himself.

wow looks like im the only one that thinks wood will have a good future at the pies.

No your not the only one. I think Wood has a future at Collingwood. His form hasnt been what is expected in the 2's but I dont think he is a waste of space. Young guy, has the talent. He doesnt belong in the best 22 at the moment. But in saying that, hopefully the players that are down particularly Jack, Medders and Wood can turn it around.

As far as Woods future at Collingwood is concerned, IMO, we shouldn't write him off just yet. He has alot to improve on. Have faith!

I believe in Wood. Not great in the twos, but did get @53 hit-outs on the weekend which is pretty phenomenal. With an ageing Fraser and two project rucks, it's essential we retain a midish 20s ruck.

I reckon we should look to trade @ 2nd pick for Currie though in case the wheels fall off. We might be able to do a player swap with Sydney, given our depth and their need to draft ready to run players.

I believe in Wood. Not great in the twos, but did get @53 hit-outs on the weekend which is pretty phenomenal. With an ageing Fraser and two project rucks, it's essential we retain a midish 20s ruck.

I reckon we should look to trade @ 2nd pick for Currie though in case the wheels fall off. We might be able to do a player swap with Sydney, given our depth and their need to draft ready to run players.

Coldpies, magpie nut and OS, yes Wood could have a future and should have a future, he does have the potential to have a future as an important part of the jigsaw.

But someone around the club has to get into that guys head... and soon!

It's like a ****ing child driving a ferrari.

There was a time when SOB stood for 'Son of Beheard'. Co-incidentally it was when the game hadn't yet gone past O'Bree.

Sadly that has now occurred, like it did with Licuria at the end of his career.

O'Bree has fallen well down the list now.

Ball, Blair, Thomas would all be ahead of him now

My point with O'Bree is that he should still be well ahead of Blair and J.Thomas, he just isn't even looking like an AFL standard in the VFL. O'Bree should be minimum the 1st midfielder looked at in the scenario that Luke Ball is injured, his performances have been really disappointing and I'd really like to see him lift his game to continue to put pressure on the rest of the midfield to continue along. His leadership in the 2s is valueable, but he is far from dominating which is quite concerning. This is probably his final season as people are pointing out, so like Lockyer and Prestigiacomo he should be making the most of it.

Why I'm not drawing attention to Josh or Jack is because they have been performing in the 2s which I can't say for the other pair in question. I'm in agreeance on the ruck situation. All our ruckman must be retained because they all are/ should be AFL standard ruckman and it is very unlikely for a better ruckman could come along, and I'm not convinced that needs necessarily to occur. I'm just asking for a lift from Wood because he has his chance to be in the side, I'm very happy with Jolly and L.Brown as our rucks with Fraser and Wood in reserve, but Wood is underperforming and needs to take the next step. If he does, you never know, it could just put us over the edge.

Sweet good to know wood is out of here (hopefully). Does anyone know how that mcnamara (spelling?) is going? Yeah i also cant see much happening with fraser.. i think mick will give him his 200th then leave him at VFL/emergency.

I think medhurst needs to improve... i cant really remember him doing anything this year. Anyone else reckon?

No, Wood is not out of here. I'm sorry my post has come accross so strongly. He will minimum still be on our list till the end of 2012, unless something unexpected happens..

McNamara is still developing. If he can become an AFL level player (which certainly won't be for another season or two yet if it does happen) he could be handy as a ruck/ forward.

Medhurst is looking good in the 2s. Been performing well and consistantly. Don't think he is far off cracking into the 1s. Don't have a problem with his play at all.

I don't think S.O.B can or should be on the end of any roasts. I think it's simply gone past him. It would be hard to mentally get yourself up for a game when in reality it is pretty much going through the motions.

Wood on the other hand has been massively disappointing with his effort and work rate. He has been given chances and hasn't taken them nor earned new ones. It is a worry because he is such an important part of our future, currently we have Jolly, Fraser who you can't imagine going on past this year and then Wood who currently seems to be going through the motions himself.

O'Bree is a senior player and should get himself up for games. Like Lockyer he should be putting everything in there so that he has no regrets. This could possibly be a premiership year for the club and he should be doing everything he can to get back into the side whether or not he thinks he could make the 22. Luke Ball could go down with injury (hopefully not) but in the scenario that he does O'Bree should be the first player looked at, but at this stage he is not close which really isn't good enough.

But Wood. Yep..

Wow, I can't believe the Wood roasting in this thread.

- Ruckmen always take longer to develop.
- He's actually a pretty good tap ruckman.
- Can take a contested mark and kick goals. He's spent some time in the forward line this year in the VFL.
- Needs to improve his gas tank but it's definitely getting better. Let's not forget his game at Subiaco last year where he was our number 1 ruckman because Fraser was out and Wood ended up beating Cox around the ground. Ended up having 20+ disposals that day.
- Jolly would be the number 1 ruck at most other clubs and it's all about structure with Leigh Brown being our back up in the 22 because he's naturally more agile to play other positions. There's no shame in being kept out of the side because of Darren Jolly.

Finally and of most importance is that Jolly, Fraser and Leigh Brown are all pushing 30. Chances are they won't all be at the club in 2-3 years. Much like Buckley being groomed to take over from Malthouse, Wood is being groomed to take over the number 1 ruck position.

At the moment I am questioning Sidebottom's work. I didn't seen the past 3 games, and I'm watching the Richmond game right now, but I heard (and am seeing now) his impact has dropped off. What are people views on him?
Could it be possible we give him a spell in the seconds for Rounds or Buckley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back