Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s an article on Adelaide Now April 2020 which states we have formally withdrawn from the aquatic centre, its paywalled so can’t post it.

Its a moot point though, interestingly also found this:

So the club with Olsen in charge still wanted to build in the parklands, I thought he wanted to help the SANFL out?

There's ways around the paywall (send me a DM if you want to know how)

This is from that article you talked about

Adelaide Football Club’s chief executive Andrew Fagan said tough economic conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic meant the club was “not in a position to advance to stage two”.

“We have done an extraordinary amount of work … and we still consider the proposal to be compelling and one that is positive for the community, football club and council. I like to think that by 2021 we might be able to revisit the opportunity should it remain a viable option.”

We didn't pull the pin then, we made a decision to put it on the shelf and revisit it once it became financially viable for the cub to move forward.

Obviously opinions changed somewhere along the way, but as late as August 2020 there was an article about how the club had put the Aquatic Centre on hold and would reconsider down the track.

We've all followed things enough to know the most likely scenario as to how it would have gone.

I suspect that when they've gone to revisit the plans for a new home, the club was most probably spooked by the initial opposition to the aquatic centre proposal so we've looked at other options.

We looked at the Gas Works site and Olsen most probably floated the idea that the we'd be able to negotiate a deal with the SANFL that would give the club a clean lease for Thebarton Oval. The club would then have made the strategic decision to not move forward with the AAC plans because the other options on the table would have been considered "safer" and less problematic.

Hence why I keep saying that Thebarton initially was a strategic decision and not one of last resort.

It's only a last resort now because we put overselves in that position.

There's ways around the paywall (send me a DM if you want to know how)

This is from that article you talked about

Adelaide Football Club’s chief executive Andrew Fagan said tough economic conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic meant the club was “not in a position to advance to stage two”.

“We have done an extraordinary amount of work … and we still consider the proposal to be compelling and one that is positive for the community, football club and council. I like to think that by 2021 we might be able to revisit the opportunity should it remain a viable option.”

We didn't pull the pin then, we made a decision to put it on the shelf and revisit it once it became financially viable for the cub to move forward.

Obviously opinions changed somewhere along the way, but as late as August 2020 there was an article about how the club had put the Aquatic Centre on hold and would reconsider down the track.

We've all followed things enough to know the most likely scenario as to how it would have gone.

I suspect that when they've gone to revisit the plans for a new home, the club was most probably spooked by the initial opposition to the aquatic centre proposal so we've looked at other options.

We looked at the Gas Works site and Olsen most probably floated the idea that the we'd be able to negotiate a deal with the SANFL that would give the club a clean lease for Thebarton Oval. The club would then have made the strategic decision to not move forward with the AAC plans because the other options on the table would have been considered "safer" and less problematic.

Hence why I keep saying that Thebarton initially was a strategic decision and not one of last resort.

It's only a last resort now because we put overselves in that position.
There’s also an article with Olsen October 2020 where he says Aquatic Centre remains an option.

I recall some interviews with him after that where he had met with the Adelaide City Council and basically said we had no chance on building in the parklands. Then there’s also the council ruling where they refused point blank to allow us to have any facility in the parklands. Did you read the article I posted? There was another parcel of parklands they wanted to use.

We were looking at Thebby as a backup because and its turned out is the only viable option. We bid on Brompton meaning that was our preferred choice as we would own the land. You can’t dispute that, had we won that bid we’d be going to Brompton and this whole Thebby conspiracy you’ve all got going on would be moot.

Facts are we tried parklands for a No, we bid on Brompton for a No. If any other parcels of land came up we’d be out bid by developers too.

Thebby was and is our only viable option. An exisiting football facility we could develop where we are not competing with developers. Sure the SANFL have to move and we have to pay them, that’s the cost for kicking someone out of their lease.

That’s why I can’t get my head around the criticisms here. Talk of contingencies if SANFL can’t move. What contingencies you all talking about? What are the options?

As you know I’m all for beating up on the club when it’s warranted and if you all think I’m going soft on this one because of Olsen that’s delusional. My political leaning isn’t going to help the club find a home. If any one of you can provide me with a legitimate alternative or viable contingencies then I want to hear them, but no one has. There’s a lot of probably, I think, should haves, but nothing backed by evidence or taking into account the reality of our situation.

2 councils, the govt (including Lib govt by us losing Brompton) and nimbys have ****ed us, make us comprise on the second oval and costing us more due to delays but eventually it will happen.

My recollection is it was Olsen's decision to ditch the Aquatic Center to go with Thebarton. Leaving West Lakes was the previous administration.

And to be clear I'm not specifically and only blaming Olsen. I think the previous board, and the current board, and Olsen, are all responsible for the situation we are currently in. But I see no reason to absolve Olsen entirely.
I don't think the issue is Olsen's previous ties with the SANFL.

But it's impossible to not think he's been ineffective and largely a failure so far.

But he's not alone there.

All the SANFL junior, indigenous programs will be run out of there and it’s not the building that’s the issue, the numbys want the oval all to themselves. SANFL want it for about 20 hours a week, after 5.30pm at night and Saturday
Surely there are hundreds of ovals in Adelaide that a community sports group could book for a few hours a week? Why is this even an issue?

And of course, they would’ve sold the curfew as being “for your safety.”
Two complaints from rate payers who vote outweigh thousands of visitors (and the viability of night time businesses).

Look how Sydney killed the nighttime economy in their city. They're desperately trying to dig themselves out of that hole.

I don't think the issue is Olsen's previous ties with the SANFL.

But it's impossible to not think he's been ineffective and largely a failure so far.

But he's not alone there.
I reckon Olsen's ties to SANFL opened up Thebby to us. He probably saw a way both entities get what they need.

After he tried every other relevant option.

Someone posted about the 2026 clause at West Lakes, apparently that means we have limited hours per week to use the oval from then.

Can anyone confirm this.

If so, this needs to be sorted ASAP.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But… we have a strict initiation process for membership.

A few here would not make the cut.

First question: Is Garry McIntosh the GOAT? Yes/No?

You get thrown against the brick wall on the western wing until you answer yes.
Can't be the GOAT. Never played in the big league.

And if you disagree with this logic, Port's 36 Premierships make them the most successful club in the AFL.

Slippery slope there.......

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they gave the Crows licence to Norwood I reckon I would either switch to Port or take up basket weaving.

Who?

Back