Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This article is old but probably sums up everything that is happening the best that I have seen.
Apologies if it has been posted before.

Moran has certainly changed her tune these days since 2017, when the Aquatic Centre was only relevant to 7% of ratepayers.
She wanted to threaten to close the doors back then due to the costs. What about the poor public missing out on there 4 swimming pools that she was crying about on Wednesday?

Last edited:
This article is old but probably sums up everything that is happening the best that I have seen.

Moran has certainly changed her tune these days since 2017, when the Aquatic Centre was only relevant to 7% of ratepayers.
She wanted to threaten to close the doors back then due to the costs. What about the poor public missing out on there 4 swimming pools that she was crying about on Wednesday?

If only 7% of the ratepayers use the centre then only 7% of the ratepayers should have their say what happens to the centre. Sound fair!!

Quite possibly it is bleeding money due to the lack of ongoing upkeep over a number of years, also its footprint is too large for the users it attracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is probably run down due to the red tape and bureaucracy that comes with being ran by the ACCC.

They probably need a meeting and approval from the North Adelaide nymbies any time they want to top the pool up and replace the chlorine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So it will cost us millions but not for a while

Unless we sink continual money into its ongoing upkeep
Theyve let the place drop into a state where its just about unfit for purpose. Of course itll cost us money to run it, however if it's regularly maintained to a level fit for an elite AFL program (insert "we arent elite" comment) no, it wont cost anywhere near as much.

As I see it...

Pros
Pleasant central location for staff and players (west lakes has no football vibe any more)
Better location and facility for supporters to watch training and have a coffee (which is also the best chance to have a chat with players and get an autograph)
It will be a well equipped state of the art training facility
Good for local NA businesses
Good for residents (taking a white elephant off their hands, and giving them better maintained green open space)
Subsidised by the Federal Govt

Cons
AFC may be taking on a loss making aquatic centre
No fences mean's dog shiite on the oval (less than optimum for a professional training facility)

And no, it won't be a licensed venue for mass gatherings but as half this thread has debated, where else could we have that near the oval anyway, and at what cost?

So it will cost us millions but not for a while

Unless we sink continual money into its ongoing upkeep

There will be more efficiencies with the mixed use facilities.
Right now the whole site including surrounds needs to be maintained, just for seasonal pool use.
With the increased use of the site if the Crows proposal goes ahead, the costs of running the site shouldn't be much higher than running the West Lakes site, the new smaller swim centre component should have higher year round utilization with the athletes training there as well and it would likely have state of the art energy efficient heating and chemical dosing etc.
The Corporate use by the Crows absorbs some of the administrative and maintenance costs of the overall site. Public swim fees, food and drink purchases help to fund some of the swim centre costs. Government funding for community engagement + school programs with the Crows will also help to offset some other costs.

Think part of the black hole that the swim centre is creating at the moment stems from trying to continually patch over something that is broken.
In 2011 it cost $500k to fix the pools because they were leaking 3 million litres of water.
There are other safety concerns and maintenance issues being bandaided over at the moment as well, which should be able to be fixed with a bulldozer...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I see it...

Pros
Pleasant central location for staff and players (west lakes has no football vibe any more)
Better location and facility for supporters to watch training and have a coffee (which is also the best chance to have a chat with players and get an autograph)
Good for residents (taking a white elephant off their hands, and giving them better maintained green open space)

Cons
No fences mean's dog shiite on the oval (less than optimum for a professional training facility)

And no, it won't be a licensed venue for mass gatherings but as half this thread has debated, where else could we have that near the oval anyway, and at what cost?

I can also see the locals and feral port fans hacking the s**t out the ground as well as ruining the pool and facilities.

As I see it...

Pros

Cons

I think we will find that moving the Crows corporate offices to North Adelaide, that there are more likely to be licensed/other venues that convert into Crows friendly venues. Having that daily corporate weekday presence in the area is much different to having 11 x 3 hour (weekend/night) matches over 6/7 months as well as the same for Port. Even having Crows players training there, you might find some players investing their savings into a North Adelaide pub/business similar to Tex/Sloane/Danger/Roo with The Alma.

I can also see the locals and feral port fans hacking the s**t out the ground as well as ruining the pool and facilities.

Suspect that no fence means lots of security cameras around the site.
Get the night vision cameras and enforce the $210 dog poo fines.
Plenty of room on the golf course, lawn tennis courts and equestrian club for the dogs to poop on.

Who is this bitter Port supporter? Christ on a bike.

"given that the takeover of the centre and surrounding open space would be socially, culturally and environmentally catastrophic for local communities."

Hmm. What a load of rubbish.

That, and the anti-Liberal Govt ranting. I can just see Marshall in his teal scarf riding the Crows train all the way to an election victory. The irony LOL.

"The Marshall state government, obsessed with Crow mania, will want to be seen kicking state political goals, anticipating Crows fans’ acknowledgement if the bid succeeds. Locally, it’s all about a long-term, state-focused political strategy, especially as the looming federal election looks likely to see Labor retaining the federal electorate of Adelaide, as well as delivering a new Labor administration in Canberra."

This sounds like it was written by some brainwashed uni student anti-liberal left-wing Port-supporting tree hugger. I used to be one of those, back in the day, except for the Port-supporting thing.

Who receives the pool revenue? Ticket prices, kiosk?
The Crows ....they would own the facility & would need to manage the upkeep

That said ...this anti-development mentality, that exists in SA for as long as i can remember ....has really negatively impact the state

"given that the takeover of the centre and surrounding open space would be socially, culturally and environmentally catastrophic for local communities."

Today's word is "Hyperbole".

One wonders how the poor local communities will cope in the face of this social, cultural and environmental catastrophe. Seriously - how can someone write that with a straight face?

Today's word is "Hyperbole".

One wonders how the poor local communities will cope in the face of this social, cultural and environmental catastrophe. Seriously - how can someone write that with a straight face?
Two environmental catastrophes in a week - the volcano and now this

It costs more to run an older car on a day to day basis than it does a new one.
Especially if you have cheaped out on maintenance over the years, and/or failed to provide for depreciation and replacement.

It is probably run down due to the red tape and bureaucracy that comes with being ran by the ACCC.
Indeed - that, combined with kicking the can down the road on maintenance / refurbishment.

Theyve let the place drop into a state where its just about unfit for purpose. Of course itll cost us money to run it, however if it's regularly maintained to a level fit for an elite AFL program (insert "we arent elite" comment) no, it wont cost anywhere near as much.
Yes. And...

There will be more efficiencies with the mixed use facilities.
Right now the whole site including surrounds needs to be maintained, just for seasonal pool use.
With the increased use of the site if the Crows proposal goes ahead
Yes, again.

The current centre is funded solely by admission fees from the public, and underwritten by the ACC - i.e. it is a loss maker. Which is fine for a public facility, if you're prepared to acknowledge / be up front about it. But the ACC seems to have been in denial about this for a long time.

The new centre would be underwritten, if you like, by a football club that is willing and able to spend $$$ on the maintenance of its own facility (money that was not available to the Aquatic Centre before) with additional support from admission / usage fees from the public. Win-win, as they say.

Back