Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ahh, but Thebarton is 5kms from Adelaide oval

so clearly a massive fail compared to their stadium which is only 2!!!

typical Crows always doing it wrong!
The Lions club in Brisbane is 18km from the Gabba. Why is 5 km such a big ask. So long as you can have a sicial club entertainment etc that would be fine. For me the biggest issue would be car parking and the fact that its controlled by the SANFL or the SANFL will have some involvement and I am sure that if they do the AFC will be paying through its nose again.

Thebarton is going to be smack bang around where the tunnel exits, do we want to move to another building zone?
The current plan is to do the southern section first, basically Anzac Hwy to Darlington. Scheduled start is 2023. This is approx 6km, with 4km expected to be tunnel.

The northern section, Anzac Hwy to the River Torrens isn't currently schedules to commence before 2026.

The current plan is to do the southern section first, basically Anzac Hwy to Darlington. Scheduled start is 2023. This is approx 6km, with 4km expected to be tunnel.

The northern section, Anzac Hwy to the River Torrens isn't currently schedules to commence before 2026.
So just after we move in then?

That’s because that’s all you can do at the moment.

Plenty of people like going to have a beer....

Plus for big away games, finals, it would be good to have a place to go where there are a heap of crows supporters getting pissed and abusing Mackay

Great. That's maybe three times a year, for probably 100 people.

And you're also describing just about any pub in Adelaide. That's close to the last thing we need to worrying about when deciding what to do for training facilities.

Function facilities for larger events and corporate hires makes sense, as would some kind of museum or visitors centre. I'm fine with that - but running a front bar or club isn't viable.

Much easier than West Lakes!
Nah West Lakes has a bus interchange with buses coming in from many directions due to the shopping centre.

They're both shite options.

Thebarton would be like settling for an ugly fatty because your biological clock is ticking down.

Nah West Lakes has a bus interchange with buses coming in from many directions due to the shopping centre.

They're both sh*te options.

Thebarton would be like settling for an ugly fatty because your biological clock is ticking down.
Except it wouldn't be that at all.

FWIW I don't think we'll end up at Thebby.

They're both sh*te options.

If AFC moved to Thebarton, the public transport options will be much easier than it was to get to West Lakes for the majority of people except those local to West Lakes.

Having said that, North Adelaide is my preferred option.

FMD what current option do they have? How hard is that to comprehend? I’ll spell it out for you:

Evenings- “want to go for a meal and a drink?” “Yeah, let’s to the Crows club” “yeah good idea”

Lunch - see above

Weekends - see above

Game day - “hey want to go some where to watch the footy, have a meal and grab some beers where there’s atmosphere” “yeah, let’s go to the club” “good idea, so glad we’ve got that option, whilst we are there might have a look at some of the club memorabilia, remember what it was like to win a flag not the spoon”

Depends how things are set up.

If we end up with a Crows tavern type facility that is Crows "in name only" and is phantom owned and operated by the SANFULL then it's a pointless exercise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FMD what current option do they have? How hard is that to comprehend? I’ll spell it out for you:

Evenings- “want to go for a meal and a drink?” “Yeah, let’s to the Crows club” “yeah good idea”

Lunch - see above

Weekends - see above

Game day - “hey want to go some where to watch the footy, have a meal and grab some beers where there’s atmosphere” “yeah, let’s go to the club” “good idea, so glad we’ve got that option, whilst we are there might have a look at some of the club memorabilia, remember what it was like to win a flag not the spoon”
You could do that at West Lakes with the cafe they had there.

Few people did. I think it is closed now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Location played a part in that though it must be said.

If a city facility isn’t going to be licensed and used for away game/finals viewing and after game venue, what’s the point of a city facility?

To be blunt, there isn't any point to getting a city facility, unless you wanted a footprint in the CBD, or you are getting a really good deal for the land. A club would be better served moving away from it.

An after-game venue is just going to be an utter waste of time and money if it's not directly attached to AO, and I highly doubt a place to watch away games/finals will get any traction at all outside of big finals (preliminary/grand finals). If you're going for big finals though, you could just get a projector and setting up an outdoors facility with a short term liquor licence on a training pitch though.

To be blunt, there isn't any point to getting a city facility, unless you wanted a footprint in the CBD, or you are getting a really good deal for the land. A club would be better served moving away from it.

An after-game venue is just going to be an utter waste of time and money if it's not directly attached to AO, and I highly doubt a place to watch away games/finals will get any traction at all outside of big finals (preliminary/grand finals). If you're going for big finals though, you could just get a projector and setting up an outdoors facility with a short term liquor licence on a training pitch though.
On your last point like we do now?

It wasn’t the Crows club, plus it wasn’t central. It was just a cafe attached to a football stadium.

On your last point like we do now?

Probably is, but I don't know the ins and outs of what we do. It seems like the cheapest and easiest way to achieve that and doesn't see us saddled with a money pit.

It wasn’t the Crows club, plus it wasn’t central. It was just a cafe attached to a football stadium.
Our club owned and ran it.

Yeah the location sucked for many, but the notion of going to the "club" for a training session/meal is not really dependent on location for the kind of person who will do that.

You make the trip to do that.

North Adelaide won't get enough walk in traffic to be viable for a licensed venue. Without pokies few clubs/pubs are viable in Adelaide. We ain't getting pokies.

Take the 80 poker machines Port have split across two venues and they would drop both venues as well.

Pokies are the lifeblood for a lot of sporting clubs.

For me having the best training facility possible far outweighs the romantic notion of a meal at the club.

A Premiership is more important than a Schnitty.

Probably is, but I don't know the ins and outs of what we do. It seems like the cheapest and easiest way to achieve that and doesn't see us saddled with a money pit.
We do nothing, thats the point, if you suggestion was an easy option we'd be doing it.

Try getting to Thebarton oval by public transport
Like the way we did when Torrens played there, We use to catch the train get off at North Adelaide and walk the 2km to the ground, From the South, you use to get off at Mile-end,
These days it easier you can catch a train or bus to Adeliade then jump the Tram to Thebarton tram stop then its only a 1km walk.
Or you can get a bus from the city that stops at stop 7 Ashley Street. My preference would be the Stop 8 South road, buses run every 9mins,

Maybe more incestuous. Like giving up and settling for an ugly cousin because it's convenient.
Yeah it's not that either.

But I'm discussing this with a guy who doesn't think the club does anything right and thinks the HQ needs to be central so he can go put nasty notes on the door when we lose.

Back