Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"Charles Sturt Council voted 9-3 on Monday night against awarding a licence to the state league amid concerns about consultation and the amount of open space.

It adds uncertainty to the Crows’ move from West Lakes because they require Thebarton’s existing lease holder, the SANFL, to find a new base."

"Charles Sturt Council voted 9-3 on Monday night against awarding a licence to the state league amid concerns about consultation and the amount of open space.

It adds uncertainty to the Crows’ move from West Lakes because they require Thebarton’s existing lease holder, the SANFL, to find a new base."

Is that because they would prefer to knock down footy park and put more housing on the land?

Is that because they would prefer to knock down footy park and put more housing on the land?

So a football club has used the facility for 10 years with an oval and now it isn’t suitable?

Amount of open space? Well you are the council that approved all the housing and commercial development around it. FFS!

Even if the Charles Sturt council approve it eventually that’s going to be at least 6 months. New plans, more consultation, more procrastinating.

I ******* hate councils. State Govt needs to step in

I still want the club to succeed, and the fact we don't have a professional base and have been stuffing around for years is one of the reasons we suck.
What is unprofessional about our current facilities? Apart from there being construction/demolition going on around it for years, the oval and gym etc are fine. Would be surprised if they were worse than AFL average.
Personally think it has very little if anything to do with why we suck

Even if the Charles Sturt council approve it eventually that’s going to be at least 6 months. New plans, more consultation, more procrastinating.

I ******* hate councils. State Govt needs to step in
It's not like they couldnt have started this process a year ago and run it in parallel to City of West Torrens approvals for us

Is the SANFL proposing to reduce the amount of open space? If not what is the problem?

Charles Sturt has requested to meet with Planning Minister Nick Champion to explore options to increase open space around Football Park through two land parcels owned by developer Commercial and General.
Council chief executive Paul Sutton said a report on the meeting’s outcomes would be brought back at the earliest opportunity.
“This report will include an update on discussions with the government and potential options for council to consider and council’s approach to the proposed SANFL licencing proposal,” Sutton said.
“Further consultation will be required to put in effect a community land management plan in vesting of the oval area to council and to further explore the licensing proposal for the oval area.”
I would guess the SANFL want to put some grandstands because they want to still host games there that would potentially take up space and the council don't want it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how about every few months the media run with the story that Thebarton is good to go. That takes the heat out of things, then a few months later another hurdle comes up.
This isn't a hurdling event.
It's a Steeplechase at this point.

I wonder what weigh in means? Yesterdays comments from the council was they wanted 2 parcels of land from Commercial and General which I’m gathering would appease the open space and they were going to the govt.

Then it would need to go to public consultation again!!

This is at least 6 months away.

The SANFL plans would have been good as focus on junior development

The Crows should give up on the inner city.

Hell, I reckon Mount Baker would accept them onto their recently developed oval.

There is plenty of space in Adelaide.

Apparently outside of Gather Round the venue gets very little use and has become a bit of a white elephant

Apparently outside of Gather Round the venue gets very little use and has become a bit of a white elephant
At the end of the day, no player is going to live there, all at need is space to build facilities.

Hell, Stirling is a beautiful part of SA to live so Crows players can live there

Back