Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest the only people I know who have been consistently pushing this Norwood into the AFL stuff are Port supporters because they know it will put a dent in both the AFC's supporter numbers and financials and will put Port on the precipice of SA football.

That's literally the only reason they want it to happen because it will cannibalise the AFC's market share for their own gain. They've always had a self entitled belief that they should be the biggest club in SA (and resent us because we're number 1) and this is simply a way to make it happen.
Unfortunately we've pissed away the majority we had of the state's support.

Port are going to be the bigger, better club for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to the likes of Trigg, Chapman, Fagan, Silvers and Olsen for pissing it away.

Thanks to the likes of Trigg, Chapman, Fagan, Silvers and Olsen for pissing it away.

They've been saying that for years and it hasn't materialised at all.

We're bigger and will most probably always be bigger.

Cmon, so you don’t know and you’ve gone to town. Plenty of things to bag the club over but I don’t believe this is one of them.

Lack of options.
2 governments
3 councils

Governments and councils too interested in listening to noisy minorities than stepping in and helping
You maybe right but the perception that its creating is one of poor management. I dont think any supporter likes to bag the club, i certainly don't but we haven't performed like we did in the first 15 years and then it all stopped. We all used to be proud supporters but now we are frustrated, disillusioned, and getting pissed off at seeing Port doing so well on and off the field.

OK what is going on. I make a obvious tongue in cheek comment about handing our licence to Norwood and everyone seems to think that its a genuine suggestion. Like if it was would I say call them the Norwood Red Legged Crows. LAugh a little.

Settle down. That's not how people are wired.

Carlton, Melbourne and Essendon have been shitter than us for longer. And as soon as some success starts to happen, all the supporters return.

We've had a handful of bad years. It will eventually turn good, just through the law of averages.

Our supporters are doing gardening instead of religiously following the Crows. They're not going to turn to Port.

Issue with Brompton is the land could be used by developers which ends up with more money for State Govt and Councils. Its the reason why SANFL are now having issues with West Lakes.

They're never gonna build houses on the Acquatic Centre or Thebarton sites.

If we're aiming for inner city, we could only realistically look at sites that housing developments would be a no-go, and for the reasons houses are a no-go, building a football club hq is also difficult.

Are we currently at the lowest point in our history?

In 2020-21 we stank on field but there was the promise of a rebuild, hope that the new coach was restoring a strong culture, and off-field a new HQ loomed to coincide with when the on-field would start bearing fruit.

Now in 2024 we are wedded to a long-term unsuccessful coach, the playing list has holes everywhere due to poor drafting and development, can't win a game and require at least another phase of a rebuild before any sustainable competitiveness as the promise of 2023 has been sabotaged from within. Off field, as the biggest sporting club in the state, we bend over to whoever asks and get absolutely nowhere on a new HQ...amateur and embarrassing. Meanwhile, our rivals threaten an era of dominance.

How did it get to this?
The fall out from the camp was pretty s**t, as was the end of the Craig era when we looked completely rattled.

But this is on the podium.

I don't know. I'm not an expert. Could we have gone through government channels, got major project status, used that to find a location etc....
A good organisation would have found a way. Has anyone ever had the issues and delays we have? It's been years and we aren't even close to actually starting the build.

No, you’re not.

This is not a serious opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only caught the end of the Nine news story but the govt has denied councils request for them to step in to force the Commercial and General land at West Lakes over for green space which would help them approve the SANFL application.

Council meeting tomorrow to discuss next steps.

What a farce

I wonder why we didn't hop on board with SACA and their Karen Rolton Oval redevelopment? Timing would have been similar.

Inner city stadium, lots of space there. Could have dedicated, all year round football ovals and cricket ovals. There's 4 ovals there in total now.

As it stands, Old Ignatians Football Club share the facility with SACA.

I wonder why we didn't hop on board with SACA and their Karen Rolton Oval redevelopment? Timing would have been similar.

Inner city stadium, lots of space there. Could have dedicated, all year round football ovals and cricket ovals. There's 4 ovals there in total now.

The main building would have needed to be 4 times the size at a minimum to also house everything required for the AFC management, both squads, and their indoor high performance centre, in addition to what SACA uses on site, and that's a harder sell to the council.

Also I expect SACA wasn't interested in sharing, given that when they "share" with the AFL they find themselves a marginalised minority tenant faster than they can blink.

I walk my dog around there a lot in the evening, many clubs train there atm, Sturt womens and mens, seen Glenelg train there and Port often hold some sort of indigenous camp there over a few days normally leaving a lot of crap behind.
Often see Wines walking his dogs there too.

1 is run as a football club.
1 is run as a corporation.

1 says 'get it done'.
1 says 'lets see what a focus group thinks'.
I know people try to use run as a corporation as an insult

But really if you look at the problems at the Crows, its because they still try to run like at 90s SANFL team.

Back in the boys, earn your spot, old players get plum jobs, no accountability to club favourites. Same recruiters for 12 years.

Successful AFL teams aren't run like clubs, they are run like corporations, they are in it for themsleves and will not hesitate to cut people who aren't pushing that sucess and will be ruthless in that persuit of success.

Good interview on 5aa this morning with the CEO of Charles Sturt council. Poor bloke. You can tell he thinks this is a joke too.

Also Mulligan then came on and said he’d heard the action group nuffies had been campaigning and getting in the ear of Charles Sturt councillors.

So they're now wanting to protect a paved car park?

Good interview on 5aa this morning with the CEO of Charles Sturt council. Poor bloke. You can tell he thinks this is a joke too.

Also Mulligan then came on and said he’d heard the action group nuffies had been campaigning and getting in the ear of Charles Sturt councillors.
Unbelievable.

So the public consultation solicited 27 responses 18 said no.

They want exclusive use of the green space, at the moment the Crows have exclusive use.

The SANFL proposal is only for about 20 hours a week, 90 a month. This includes after 5.30pm weeknights and Saturdays.

I wonder if the Crows are permitting any access at the moment, if so they have to cancel it immediately.

It’s the Thebby action group who are targeting Charles Sturt counsellors to try and Thebby.

I missed the bit about the vote tonight, what’s that about?

Listening to Nick Champion, sounds like these counsellors changed their minds at the last minute.

* I hate councils. ******* collect the garbage and * off.

Back