Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Malcolm Butler is back with the team on a team-friendly 2-year deal. One of the best stories to come out of the franchise returns to where it all started :)

I always thought Butler played above his weight and was a bit overrated, but he has obviously done well in our system and had success here. Interesting that he's back with Bill and Matty P after the Eagles SB thing...

Malcolm Butler is back with the team on a team-friendly 2-year deal. One of the best stories to come out of the franchise returns to where it all started :)

I always thought Butler played above his weight and was a bit overrated, but he has obviously done well in our system and had success here. Interesting that he's back with Bill and Matty P after the Eagles SB thing...

Must say that Butlers return is something that I had in the never to be seen EVER category.

Just shows how little I know about the game.

ESPN's Mike Reiss reports that Patriots RB J.J. Taylor "looks noticeably bigger" as the Patriots conduct their voluntary offseason program.​

Reiss speculates that Taylor "might now be more physically able to handle" blocking assignments with the extra weight. Taylor has been listed at 5-foot-6 and 185 pounds. James White stands between Taylor and a real role as New England's passing downs back. If Taylor can gain muscle without sacrificing explosiveness, he still has a chance to become fantasy-relevant.

You'd think after the excellent name impact players the Pats drafted last season, we'd have renewed hope the reach picks had gone the way of the dodo but it seems Bill just can't help himself.

I've no problem with the positions it's more the overdrafting by several rounds crap is back. Let's hope they work out but the draft has become a pointless exercise as a Patsfan.

You'd think after the excellent name impact players the Pats drafted last season, we'd have renewed hope the reach picks had gone the way of the dodo but it seems Bill just can't help himself.

I've no problem with the positions it's more the overdrafting by several rounds crap is back. Let's hope they work out but the draft has become a pointless exercise as a Patsfan.

When I read the name as the pick came in I had horrible flashbacks to another name that still haunts me ….. Tavon Wilson.

Jokes aside I was not surprised that we drafted our favourite player once again, the special Teams regular Trade Back, he seems to get picked up every year.

One thing I will give Bill, as shithouse as he is drafting WR & CB he is usually pretty on the money with linesmen.

Strange is very quick for his position and has a play through the whistle attitude .

We were given the heads up that speed was going to be a priority at all positions we addressed at the draft.

The OL , WR and CB players that we took, whilst they may not have been who we would have preferred at the position, one thing that all three do have is speed in abundance.

BB has his quirky ways of drafting and trading, but as he repeats regularly, he looks at what they do well and how that will make the team stronger.

When was the last OL player that we took in the first…… and got laughed at ….. Logan Mankins …… and he turned out pretty well.

Repeating myself but while I am unsure 🫤 of the players who we took, I can’t fault the position of needs thinking.

Was super pissed when we traded out of 21 back to 29 …… I had my hopes up for Devin Lloyd ….. I reckoned he would have been very handy in the front 7.

Can you imagine Lloyd and Judon together …. Alas what might have been .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I read the name as the pick came in I had horrible flashbacks to another name that still haunts me ….. Tavon Wilson.

Jokes aside I was not surprised that we drafted our favourite player once again, the special Teams regular Trade Back, he seems to get picked up every year.

One thing I will give Bill, as shithouse as he is drafting WR & CB he is usually pretty on the money with linesmen.

Strange is very quick for his position and has a play through the whistle attitude .

We were given the heads up that speed was going to be a priority at all positions we addressed at the draft.

The OL , WR and CB players that we took, whilst they may not have been who we would have preferred at the position, one thing that all three do have is speed in abundance.

BB has his quirky ways of drafting and trading, but as he repeats regularly, he looks at what they do well and how that will make the team stronger.

When was the last OL player that we took in the first…… and got laughed at ….. Logan Mankins …… and he turned out pretty well.

Repeating myself but while I am unsure 🫤 of the players who we took, I can’t fault the position of needs thinking.

Was super pissed when we traded out of 21 back to 29 …… I had my hopes up for Devin Lloyd ….. I reckoned he would have been very handy in the front 7.

Can you imagine Lloyd and Judon together …. Alas what might have been .
To be honest, I have no idea what I think of the Patriots draft other than to sit on my hands and wait and see. If the Pats had intelligence other teams were targeting the players they "reached" on then fine as clearly, they took players in position of need. As it looks, speed was a key ingredient and the Pats told us pre-draft, it would be a target.

Patriots drafted more offensive players than ever before under Bill Belichick​

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2022, 2:10 PM EDT

The 2022 NFL draft was the 23rd draft that Bill Belichick has run for the Patriots. And never before had Belichick added so many players on offense.

As noted by Mike Reiss of ESPN, the Patriots drafted seven offensive players, the most of any team in the NFL this year, and the most in any draft under Belichick.

The first of those players, first-round guard Cole Strange, was a surprising pick, but one that Belichick expects to bolster his offensive line for years to come.
After strange, the Patriots also took wide receiver Tyquan Thornton in the second round, running back Pierre Strong and quarterback Bailey Zappe in the fourth round, running back Kevin Harris and guard Chasen Hines in the sixth round, and guard Andrew Stueber in the seventh round.

Patriots RB James White (hip) is a candidate to start the regular season on the reserve/PUP list.​

White never advanced beyond on-field drills at minicamp. The Patriots have depth to play it slow with White, making it possible the 30-year-old won't be cleared for training camp next month. Short-term IR could also be an option for White, costing him four games instead of the six he would miss on PUP.

The Sports Hub's Alex Barth believes fourth-round RB Pierre Strong "looks like the best fit" to replace James White (hip surgery) as the Patriots' pass down back.​

With White limited at OTAs, the Patriots got an extended look at Strong and sixth-round RB Kevin Harris. Strong was known for his blocking at South Dakota State, where he was used as a lead blocker on quarterback runs, and had 22 catches his senior year. The Patriots drafted Strong two rounds higher than Harris, giving Strong the edge for snaps if White misses time. White landing on reserve/PUP would improve third-year RB J.J. Taylor's roster chances.

Been light on for articles from The Athletic on the Patriots (or I have just missed them, which is possible!), but basically, the defense has been good, offense not.

Paywalled - One day following Mac Jones' every move at Patriots training camp

Summary - improved offense on 2nd day this week, mainly led by running game. Still struggling to get passing plays over 5 yards(!) done.

Looks like Patricia is the offensive coord and Judge is QB coach.

Only other notable thing is Christian Barmore and David Andrews got into a fight and Nelson Agholor had to pull Mac Jones out of the scuffle. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back