Discussion Sir Doug Nicholls Round 2024 (Rds 10 & 11): Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone, welcome to the Sir Doug Nicholls Round thread. After the discussion and guernsey drops took place in the New Jumpers thread as it fairly standard, I have moved everything across to its own individual thread ahead of the next fortnight's games being played.

The following links are from the AFL website; it allows you to check out all the club names, guernseys, Sherrin design, and listen along to some tunes while you do so. Enjoy.

Swans indigenous official launch - https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1547804/new-marn-grook-guernsey-unveiled

Sydney Swans 2024 Nike Mens Indigenous Guernsey
Sydney Swans 2024 Nike Mens Indigenous Guernsey
Could probably get away with using that for the Pride game as well

collingwood indigenous officially revealed. interesting that the vfl boys are wearing a version of the jumper with no logos (excluding nike). hopefully we wear it with black shorts but i doubt it given we’re playing adelaide and fremantle.
IMG_1839.jpeg

Emirates are a pretty classic sponsor but far out the black and white looks good just being black and white.

Guy on the left looks like Chris Tarrant's love child.

I'm more of a fan of working the Indigenous designs within the guernsey design such as Collingwood and St Kilda have done but when to comes to the 'canvas' style West Coast had knocked it out of the park and it actually might be my favourite of all time. However they can be hit and miss as evidenced by Brisbane's this year. I mean all due to respect to the artists I'm sure there's untold depth and meaning behind the painting but aesthetically it doesn't quite hold up.

2: how awesome would this look in the actual ochre colour scheme?
To me it seems to be at least a subtle nod to the ochre guernsey with the map of WA and there are also hints of ochre on the eagle and all around the guernsey. But yeah next year surely they go all out and bring the bright blue into it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does an error like that occur? Was the club tinkering with the artist's design?
I'm going to say that the artist was given the map, added it in and named the file ESSENDON_SDN_V3_FINAL, then was told the map was incorrect (as they just do what they're told), and changed it and added ESSENDON_SDN_V3_FINAL_FINAL, and then obviously the club used the first one by accident.

Yeah it’ll be fascinating to see how these recalled retails will become proper collector’s items.
I remember just having a feeling the 'sgi' rebrand wouldn't last and even considered buying one of those Eagles jumpers because my hunch was there.

How does an error like that occur? Was the club tinkering with the artist's design?
Artwork is done, then digitised. Then that digitisation is flipped.
These are then printed in reverse on paper to be dyed into the fabric using sublimation.
The paper is placed over the fabric, then heat and pressure are applied, turning the dye into gas, and pushing the gas into the fabric.
The gas cools, returning to a solid state, which is the dye, in the fabric.

Perhaps someone forgot to reverse the image properly, or just forgot a bit.

Last edited:
I remember just having a feeling the 'sgi' rebrand wouldn't last and even considered buying one of those Eagles jumpers because my hunch was there.
Yeh I kept my SGI jumper - was the first win of returnthewings campaign so wasn't "returning" it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back