New sports radio station arriving to rival SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything is better than sen atm... ive been a long term listener the only show i didnt listen to was andy maher now the only show i listen to is the breakfast show then its triple j all day

Anything is better than sen atm... ive been a long term listener the only show i didnt listen to was andy maher now the only show i listen to is the breakfast show then its triple j all day
Same here. Hoping this new sports station is a success and uses some of the old sen talent. Hopefully involving schwarz and finey.

Would that mean that both SEN and this new 1278 Sports station take the same commentary feed of a particular match?

I don’t think so as Hutchy’s mob produces multiple calls of the same game.

For example, the Richmond v Essendon JLT game, Hutchy’s mob produced both the 3AW call with Matty Grandland/Scot Lucas and the SEN call with Brett Phillips/Terry Wallace.

I can't see the national syndication of a sport radio station working. If they spend a two hour block on AFL then two hours on NRL, I will tune out pretty quickly.
I think EON attempted that and it failed.

Macquarie is a more substantial network so they'd have a better chance of making a go of it you'd think. But I agree, I can't see it being a goer. Must say I hope that's the case because most of their product is trash radio in my view.

Another version of EON Sports radio? Either way more sport more options!
EON FM did a sports station ?
When did this happen?

Anyway talking about this decade, if this other 24 other sports station happens, certainly a good thing as more options. My gut feel though, is it will most likely be covering live sport most of the 24 hours.
Rugby League matches all weekend, soccer , basketball etc etc. It will probably be the alternative sports station of those that more into those sports than staple diet of football and cricket on SEN. But it will not have as much talk back about sport like SEN does most of it's hours.

I love the majority of the replies here. SEN received nothing but criticism under old management, with same tired programming, and deplorable ratings. Mark Allen has a thread stating how crap he was!

Now, when someone shakes it up, in a bloody big way, people want it to go back to the way it was?

Spare me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the majority of the replies here. SEN received nothing but criticism under old management, with same tired programming, and deplorable ratings. Mark Allen has a thread stating how crap he was!

Now, when someone shakes it up, in a bloody big way, people want it to go back to the way it was?

Spare me.

I was never one to complain about it... but there used to be abit fun in it... Its become so boring i love kb but the afternoon show is a snooze now and Wheatley is boring as bat s**t and kane cornes is a w**nker haha

Spare me.

A lot more people actually liked SEN than the same four people commenting in those threads

Spare me.

Simplistic summation of the situation. Some people liked SEN, some didn't. Those that did like it disliked certain programmes and/or presenters. Some of the changes have been good, some haven't. Just changing things won't solve all the problems, you have to make the right changes. As others have said we will see how they are tracking when the ratings comes out for the next few months.

Personally I liked SEN before but not some of the content and presenters. On balance, I think the changes that have been made have made it slightly worse for me so far.

Simplistic summation of the situation. Some people liked SEN, some didn't. Those that did like it disliked certain programmes and/or presenters. Some of the changes have been good, some haven't. Just changing things won't solve all the problems, you have to make the right changes. As others have said we will see how they are tracking when the ratings comes out for the next few months.

Personally I liked SEN before but not some of the content and presenters. On balance, I think the changes that have been made have made it slightly worse for me so far.

Exactly, though I'd say about the same for me rather than slightly worse.

It's funny watching this, you have some supporting new or old SEN with as much one-eyed bias as they have with their footy club.

The word on the radio grapevine is a nationally syndicated sports station, 1278 Melbourne, 954 Sydney and 882 Brisbane.

Same content across all stations, but differing live sports content for each market. Hutchy controls the AM radio right for AFL, sub-licences some NRL rights from Macquarie Radio (who own the above mentioned stations), Hutchy has the A-League radio rights, and Macquarie Radio have some cricket radio rights.

The only issue is what happens in Melbourne. When Hutchy officially takes over Pacific Star Network, which owns SEN1116 and Classic Rock 1377, will he/Crocmedia still be able to supply AFL or NRL content to 1278 or 3AW in Melbourne.

Some old radio heads (on other forums) have flagged there might be issues around Media Control Laws. A company is only allowed to hold two AM/FM licences in a single metro market. By supplying programming to another station, it could be argued he has programming control on three (or more) stations, thus a potential breach. One of the legal eagles and those with a better understanding of corporate structure to look into.

To a point you maybe right. But if when the survey is out and SEN has increased 6 points, their feedback would be redundant. It may not be their cup of te, but it sure as s**t will make Hutchy a rich man, so who cares?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back