Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Simpson. He has a very clear game plan that all players must adhere to.
I would like them to play more instinctively and skilfully. WC do that, with a demand for hard running and everyone contributing. They have a bevy of exciting skilful players playing forward so they can clearly make that work within their structures. Freo were heavily weighed down by defense first thinking, no interest in skill, our small forward smothered by congestion and too much left to too few.

Come off it. WC are the most rigidly structured team in the history of footy, including 'Rossball' teams circa 2009 to 2015. Teague lets players off the leash? How? Point to one single metric.
Assuming some ex players know what they are talking about, it has been said regularly that Teague has played players in their preferred positions and turned away from Boltons more defence focused structures. WC are organised, hard running and all players contributing.

I would like them to play more instinctively and skilfully. WC do that, with a demand for hard running and everyone contributing. They have a bevy of exciting skilful players playing forward so they can clearly make that work within their structures. Freo were heavily weighed down by defense first thinking, no interest in skill, our small forward smothered by congestion and too much left to too few.
so would you be saying someone that has recent first hand experience in WCs coaching and structures, and/or has put a lot of time into breaking down those structures in, let's say, a really important game like a grand final? Hmmm. If only there was someone out there with that kind of experience that may also be willing to come to Perth.:think:

so would you be saying someone that has recent first hand experience in WCs coaching and structures, and/or has put a lot of time into breaking down those structures in, let's say, a really important game like a grand final? Hmmm. If only there was someone out there with that kind of experience that may also be willing to come to Perth.:think:
Yeah can't think who.

very interesting article on here....

J-lo is one of the favourites obviously.

Theres 2 blokes that stand out for me.

Ben Rutten: currently the bombers. He has been there for 12 months. Before that, he was the backline coach for richmond for 4 years. yes one of those years was 2017, the year richmond won the flag.

Jade Rawlings: Was a Richmond caretaker coach back in 2009. Spent 2 years as a Brisbane assistant in 2010 and 2011. Been at the Demons since 2012. So he has worked under Mark Neeld, Paul Roos and Simon Goodwin in that period.

He was named VFL coach of the year in 2018 for sending casey scorpions (Melbourne reserves) to the grand final.

Strange that we dont have a dockers assistant coach at Peel thunders head coaching role.

Back in 2014, Gary Hocking was an Assistant at Port Adelaide power and main coach at the Port Magpies.

Assuming some ex players know what they are talking about, it has been said regularly that Teague has played players in their preferred positions and turned away from Boltons more defence focused structures. WC are organised, hard running and all players contributing.
Crap, that's not that you said: you said this:
If they get it wrong for a second time- as in agreeing to the second signing of Ross during a rebuild phase, then I imagine they will be held accountable, as they should be. It isn't an exact science but I hope they at least find someone more congenial and a coach that can set the players free a bit. If I wanted to watch little league, I would go and watch it.
They do not mean remotely the same thing and pretending that's what you meant is disingenuous; rather than just admitting what you said was not thought though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just imagine.. Suma as our next coach and West Coast going back to back.
i imagine it would be one of those life changing moments that sends me to join my youngest in becoming a Hawthorn supporter - which I used to give him sh5t about (even though he's only 7) but now I'm starting to think that he's a lot smarter than I am and maybe he should probably be running my share portfolio too.

Last edited:
My preference would be Longmuir, just because I always liked him as a player.

While maybe it's just because I'm not from WA and have no bias, but I wouldn't have an issue with Sumich either. I said a few months back that I enjoyed his coaching of the WA U18s at the Championships, he employed an attacking game style and also played to the strengths of his players. He put them in positions to succeed, as opposed to forcing them into a predetermined role. AFL is obviously a step up from that, but I can't see why he wouldn't be successful in a Fagan type way - who looks to be a more empowering, general manager style coach. And at least we'd draft a bunch of WA kids, which would keep everyone here happy.

Just as long as it's not Brad Scott or Worsfold.

Have fun and enjoy’: Fremantle Dockers caretaker coach David Hale’s message to players for finale
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Friday, 23 August 2019 9:29AM
Jordan McArdle

Caretaker David Hale hasn’t ruled out putting his hand up to become Fremantle’s next permanent coach, but is trying not to look further ahead than Sunday’s season finale against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.
Collingwood assistant coach Justin Longmuir and West Coast great Peter Sumich are the favourites to become the Dockers’ next coach after Ross Lyon’s sacking on Tuesday.
Hale, a triple premiership ruckman who has spent the past three seasons as an assistant under Lyon, will discuss the job with the club’s football manager Peter Bell next week.
JOHNSON SAYS SUMICH COULD UNITE DOCKERS
WHY LONGMUIR IS THE RIGHT MAN FOR FREO
“It’s something I’ll look at going forward, obviously in five days it’s hard to get your head around,” Hale said.
“I’m obviously focussing on Port Adelaide but I’ll sit down with Peter Bell and go through that next week.
“I’ve played under five head coaches that were in at the start of this year so the time frame of how long it takes to be a head coach is obviously different.

“I played under (West Coast premiership coach) Adam Simpson who took three years and has done marvellously well and under (Brisbane coach) Chris Fagan who took about 30 years and he’s doing a fantastic job.
“The time frame to become an AFL coach is not set in stone so I’ll definitely go away and think and will make a decision going forward.
“I’ve been in this role for three years and immensely enjoyed it so I’ll sit down with Peter.
“I just got encouragement from (president) Dale (Alcock) and Peter and everyone involved to just enjoy myself and those guys higher up will make a decision for the best interests of the club.”
David Hale is set for his first match in charge.
David Hale is set for his first match in charge.Picture: Justin Benson-Cooper
Unlike the coaching situations at St Kilda, Carlton and North Melbourne, Hale will have just one game to press his case for the gig. He is considered a $21 outsider to earn the full-time job, according to bookmaker Sportsbet.
He admits the short turnaround was hard to get his head around, but was excited for the opportunity.
“It’s a great opportunity, not too many guys get the opportunity to lead their clubs, there’s only 18 seats in the competition so for me it’s more about excitement and it’s something I’m looking forward to,” Hale said.
The 35-year-old paid tribute to long-term senior coach Lyon, whose eight-year tenure at the club came to a dramatic end this week, describing him as a great mentor.
“He’s a great footy person with a huge football intellect and he’ll be a mentor going forward in whatever he chooses to do,” Hale said.
While finals are out of the question for the Dockers, Hale was the focus was on another f-word this weekend against the Power.
“The underlying message is to go out, have fun and enjoy themselves,” Hale said.
Caretaker coaches have a 3-0 record on debut this season, with St Kilda, Carlton and North Melbourne all winning after sacking their coaches.

Actually you forgot one other thing, bad goal kicking accuracy

I fundamentally believe that every team has a rigid structure. Within that structure you will have a number of players who have more attacking license (Fyfe) than others, but that is still a role within a structure. I'd also say the reason why Clarkson is so good are because his structures are so good. That is precisely why they could absorb injuries in their 3 peat.

So I don't think it makes sense to argue against structure, I think it makes sense to argue for more free-wheeling players in our structure but that also requires the players to make it worthwhile. Personally think this is easily our biggest problem. We have so few players who excel at doing this and those we have had are injured all the time (Shill and Bennell).

You can use flair, instinct and skill within an organised structure.
And Freo did. Hill, Fyfe, Walters definitely did.

Lyon had a more Richmond play on style ( which had a Freo manic style in the first place) rather than the chip kick mark style of Hawthorn.
About the only players given freedom in the Eagles are McGovern (allowed to leave his man and back himself) and the small forwards who can run forward of the ball rather than man up.

Freo’s skill looked better when there was a tall leading target actually running to places that can be kicked to. All changed when Taberner, Pearce and Hogan, then Lobb got injured. Skill is confidence based: the players lost confidence in where to kick and the mistakes just flowed.

Interesting video release by Dale Alcock.

Obviously a bit of a PR exercise but nice that he's staying in touch as the chief figurehead at present.

Looks forward to turning Perth Stadium back into a fortress - member numbers is still clearly one chief priority here.

This Brad Johnson thing is not worth reading into, he has nothing to do with Freo and i'd put my house on the fact that he probably doesn't give a s**t about the club either so why would he be urging them to appoint someone if he genuinely thought it would be the best thing for them when it doesn't matter to him at all? all this is is more propaganda, him endorsing a mate and probably at his request, nothing less nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back