Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be honest, I'm all aboard the Hird for assistant role now.

Head Coach: JL
Senior Assistant: Hird
Head of Player Development: Sumich

That might piss a lot of you off but that's as an elite a coaching panel as we've ever had I reckon

Don’t mind that except for Sumich. Also, how do you reckon Hird would go reporting in to the younger, less prominent JL?

Don’t mind that except for Sumich. Also, how do you reckon Hird would go reporting in to the younger, less prominent JL?
Hard to say without knowing the dude more but I'd think he pretty damn grateful for a 2nd chance. He's had experience as an assistant hasnt he? There are also plenty of ex-head coaches who move to an assistant role so I imagine he'd manage

Williams got the flick from the Tigers and replaced by Xavier Clarke. They turned around and haven’t looked back. Their VFL team and their young and inexperienced players are much better now than when Choco was there.
Sumich would be much better than Williams.

Williams got the flick from the Tigers and replaced by Xavier Clarke. They turned around and haven’t looked back. Their VFL team and their young and inexperienced players are much better now than when Choco was there.
Sumich would be much better than Williams.
Why would Sumich be much better? You’ve just given evidence that Williams is not good, not that Sumich is any different. Reckon he’s still streets ahead of Sumich.

If we are considering Sumich, perhaps we should also consider Leigh Brown, the coach of Vic Country which almost pulled off a win against WA off a 5 day break.
Being a good mate of Pav might help too.

Why would Sumich be much better? You’ve just given evidence that Williams is not good, not that Sumich is any different. Reckon he’s still streets ahead of Sumich.

Yes but you hate the guy so you’re always going to have that opinion. If Donald Duck was put up as an alternative to Sumich you’d prefer Donald.

Sumich’s record is obvious to those that want to judge openly and fairly and it’s obviously better than Williams recent record.

I am genuinely curious when i ask this, whats your opinion on Steve Smtih?

Personally I think the sandpaper thing was completely bonkers considering the s**t every other country has gotten away with over the year (England and using mints is pretty much the exact same thing).

You seem to be a lot stricter on "cheats", again, probably a bad reflection on me, so I'm interested to know your Smith opinion
Smith has done his time and is deserving of his place back in the test side. However sandpaper-gate was an abject failure of his leadership and he can never captain the side again.

The drug scandal was an abject failure of Hird's leadership and he can never lead a team again. But as an assistant under someone else with a defined role Hird would excel in.

Maybe my morals arent what they should be but I would take Hird in an assistant role and be ******* excited about it.

We dont know the full story behind the whole drugs saga and never will. I like to give people 2nd chances and I think Hird got everything he deserved and more and should get a second chance at it, albeit never in a senior coaching role.

He was a terrific role model on the field and I'm 99% sure he would avoid anything close to what Essendon were doing like the plague after what he went through.

Would be stoked to bring him in as an assistant
I couldn’t agree with you more.

Smith has done his time and is deserving of his place back in the test side. However sandpaper-gate was an abject failure of his leadership and he can never captain the side again.

The drug scandal was an abject failure of Hird's leadership and he can never lead a team again. But as an assistant under someone else with a defined role Hird would excel in.
Pretty much my feelings, Smith wasnt a good captain anyway.

I dont think even Hird thinks he has a chance of being a head coach again, but I see no reason he cant forge a career as an assistant. Happy for us to be that team that gives him the chance

If we are considering Sumich, perhaps we should also consider Leigh Brown, the coach of Vic Country which almost pulled off a win against WA off a 5 day break.
Being a good mate of Pav might help too.

That’s a better suggestion than Choco but I think Sumich’s record as an assistant plus his success with Souths and The U18’s makes him better credentialed than Browny. Who would be the better fit to be head of development, only those interviewing etc can tell. That’s if either would be interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna be honest, I'm all aboard the Hird for assistant role now.

Head Coach: JL
Senior Assistant: Hird
Head of Player Development: Sumich

That might piss a lot of you off but that's as an elite a coaching panel as we've ever had I reckon

What if its not assistant coach Fremantle are talking to him about?

I would rather Freo avoid Hird all together and obviously that's largely an uninformed opinion never having met him but imo he never seemed to put honesty above his own reputation, during the drugs saga or since.

An assistant coach would be one thing because putting that period aside that's where Hird should be if he wants to coach again. It was a mistake to promote him straight in as the head coach of Essendon and it would be an even bigger mistake trying him again now. If he has any desire to return to coaching he should be willing to do some time as a student.

Last edited:
Yes but you hate the guy so you’re always going to have that opinion. If Donald Duck was put up as an alternative to Sumich you’d prefer Donald.

Sumich’s record is obvious to those that want to judge openly and fairly and it’s obviously better than Williams recent record.

I don’t hate Sumich. I just don’t respect him. I certainly don’t respect the pieces of toe jam that are doing the best to sabotage my club by inserting him into the position of coach.

How is Sumich’s record obvious? He’s won fewer WAFL finals than Scott Watters. He hasn’t won an AFL grand final as a coach: Williams has. If you think Sumich’s record is better, you don’t think.
And recently, Sumich hasn’t even been part of the AFL system.

Hard to say without knowing the dude more but I'd think he pretty damn grateful for a 2nd chance. He's had experience as an assistant hasnt he? There are also plenty of ex-head coaches who move to an assistant role so I imagine he'd manage

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Hird has any coaching experience outside of his time as head coach at Essendon. Retired in 08, did two years in the media before replacing Knights at the end of the 2010 season. I doubt he's done the level 4 training, but don't know.

What if its not assistant coach Fremantle are talking to him about?

I would rather Freo avoid Hird all together and obviously that's largely an uninformed opinion never having met him but imo he never seemed to put honesty above his own reputation, during the drugs saga or since.

An assistant coach would be one thing because putting that period aside that's where Hird should be if he wants to coach again. It was a mistake to promote him straight into the head coach of Essendon and it would be an even bigger mistake trying him again now. If he has any desire to return to coaching he should be willing to do some time as a student.

Hird for CEO?

Based on an interview he did the other week with the Herald Sun I think it was, I think Hird is pretty much done with football, would be surprised if he went back into coaching.

The thing I keep coming back to with Sumich is that he’s been in the running for other senior jobs and hasn’t got them. Why? Mustn’t be a strong candidate. Which for us means he’s not the man for the job. Imagine if there was a Beveridge mk2 in the market. Anyone think we’d even be contemplating Sumich?

The thing I keep coming back to with Sumich is that he’s been in the running for other senior jobs and hasn’t got them. Why? Mustn’t be a strong candidate. Which for us means he’s not the man for the job. Imagine if there was a Beveridge mk2 in the market. Anyone think we’d even be contemplating Sumich?

are you saying you don't like antiques...with an Avatar pick like that :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back