Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
lando-calrissian-this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.gif

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
$280 on a "new" (IE: unproven) platform has me actually considering cancelling and relying on 7Mate and a site that I can't mention here. Especially if ATV3 is dead.

The new platform isn't unproven - we are actually just about the last clients to migrate onto it. It's the same Platform that UFC Fight Pass is run on along with other sports. It would be riskier to stay on the old platform from a support perspective.

Last edited:

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd love to know whether sparkyblue is in a position to pass on information that the NFL/service providers greed and insane, repeated price rises is causing many of Australia's most hardcore supporters to forego the service.

I hope they at least keep stats on how many people are cancelling/turning off the autorenew as a result of the email the other day. Maybe if there's enough cancellations they might go back to offering promo codes to lure people back in.

We do indeed keep stats on all these things even though we don't operate the product ourselves. Folks here are very much aware of how our products perform and what factors (e.g. price, availability on other platforms, etc) influence people's decision to purchase or not. We run our own surveys and do read the feedback from people, even if it may not be acknowledged in the email response you get from Customer Care. Australia is one of the markets we watch very closely as it's a bit of a bell-weather country and our subscription numbers have increased every year in Australia, which is probably reflected in whatever pricing they come up with.

It's not cheap, but like everyone else, I work out what I perceive as value for my entertainment and what I can afford and go from there. My WatchAFL subscription is free with my Club Membership....but I'd still probably take out a separate subscription for the service if I had to. I don't have NBA League Pass as I can't justify the cost so I miss a few Celtics games, but I'm cool with that.

I get the point re: loyalty for the "hardcore" fans, but the reality of sports marketing doesn't sometimes reward those guys unfortunately. Like the AFL, it's often about getting new fans rather than doing the best thing for those you have (hello Tassie!). I think we need to do both.

Without sounding patronising, I do love the fact that you guys are so passionate about the game. Cheers!

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Sparky is one of the head honchos of nfl digital care. He has the power!

I am most certainly NOT in Digital Care. I'm down the hall :)

True story: most of our Digital Care guys are part-time actors (we are in LA after all). Our head honcho of Digital Care can be seen on TV playing the role of a crash-test dummy in a Toyota commercial, while the Fantasy guy is famous for voicing "Raccoon #2" in an insurance commercial.

I bet there'll be a mid season revision price, discount special offer limited time only, like tgbb said, once they realize subscription numbers are down.

There's always a mid season revision price.

Funnily enough it's generally about half the price, and in a weird coincidence it comes out about half way through the season. So if it's too pricey now, it's not actually any cheaper then.

Funnily enough it's generally about half the price, and in a weird coincidence it comes out about half way through the season. So if it's too pricey now, it's not actually any cheaper then.

Yes but at least you can go back and watch all your teams games in full or watch condensed games from first half of the year, hence greater value. Personally I wouldn't bother.

$300 or $150 for half a season is a joke when MLB is just over $100 for a full season. Really taking advantage of our growing interest in the game.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes but at least you can go back and watch all your teams games in full or watch condensed games from first half of the year, hence greater value. Personally I wouldn't bother.

$300 or $150 for half a season is a joke when MLB is just over $100 for a full season. Really taking advantage of our growing interest in the game.
I'm back to boycotting

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Really taking advantage of our growing interest in the game.

There's commerce 101....the market ultimately decides what something is worth. The common logic in sports marketing is that a cut-price product = a lesser sport too. Not my view (many soccer leagues in Europe are very reasonably priced), but they'll keep doing it until folks stop paying it.

The NFL prides itself the belief that it's the premium sport globally, so prices itself accordingly. This is one reason (other than the Rams/Chargers suck) why I don't go to games very often unless there is some spares hanging around the office (rare). Ticket prices (even to staff) are over my budget so I'll happy go watch USC instead as my wife is on staff there.

sparkyblue

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Funnily enough it's generally about half the price, and in a weird coincidence it comes out about half way through the season.

Yep. Sales numbers generally dictate when it'll happen, but it's standard practice.

The NFL prides itself the belief that it's the premium sport globally, so prices itself accordingly.

This isn't intended as a slight on you, but it feels like the only appropriate response to this is some variant on "hahahahahahahahahahahahaha".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's commerce 101....the market ultimately decides what something is worth. The common logic in sports marketing is that a cut-price product = a lesser sport too. Not my view (many soccer leagues in Europe are very reasonably priced), but they'll keep doing it until folks stop paying it.

The NFL prides itself the belief that it's the premium sport globally, so prices itself accordingly. This is one reason (other than the Rams/Chargers suck) why I don't go to games very often unless there is some spares hanging around the office (rare). Ticket prices (even to staff) are over my budget so I'll happy go watch USC instead as my wife is on staff there.

It's not like the NFL is offering a rare/hard to get product. I think the sharp increase will cost them subscribers in the end and prices will fall. However in a new foreign market it's a very poor strategy and can stifle development.

MLB.TV is an excellent product and very reasonably priced to ensure they grow their product in new markets. Most companies will do that.

It's pure arrogance from the NFL.

And talk about living the dream.. Sparky works for the NFL and wife for USC!! Well done mate ;)

The time the NFL "shouldve" whacked Aussies on gamepass was when Hayne hyping up. But not now when the number of subscriptions is down after all the fly-by-night NRL/Hayne fans have abandoned their NFL interest, so us dieharders are getting pumped for their loss.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's not like the NFL is offering a rare/hard to get product. I think the sharp increase will cost them subscribers in the end and prices will fall. However in a new foreign market it's a very poor strategy and can stifle development.

MLB.TV is an excellent product and very reasonably priced to ensure they grow their product in new markets. Most companies will do that.

It's pure arrogance from the NFL.

There's a torrential amount of options out there for those who want to consume NFL.

The league is at it's most "meh" period of my near 30 years watching it. Will be interesting to see if last season's ratings drop was an aberration or not.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Seen elsewhere that some UK users are reporting they are still getting the 2015 price. Some as low as £105 ($180aud).

Back