Switch Nintendo Switch News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved odyssey but then again i haven't played a Mario game since super Mario world 3 on the snes :p

Getting zelda next week though.
That makes sense, I've developed high expactations from playing every Mario game since 64 DS.

I kind of like how stripped down it is but people want to watch Netflix on their Switch for some reason.
For the price they charge for it you'd think it would have these features that are pretty much not really features anymore and commonplace.

For the price they charge for it you'd think it would have these features that are pretty much not really features anymore and commonplace.
Nintendo doesn't market their products as all-in-one media devices and it's never really been a focus for them. I don't know why anybody would expect those kind of features on a Nintendo console. Maybe people should to do their research before they shell out $400 instead of expecting every company to cater to their individual needs.

Nintendo doesn't market their products as all-in-one media devices and it's never really been a focus for them. I don't know why anybody would expect those kind of features on a Nintendo console. Maybe people should to do their research before they shell out $400 instead of expecting every company to cater to their individual needs.
Having a youtube or netflix app available on the Switch doesn't mean Nintendo are focusing on being an all-in-one media device. It's pretty much what is expected of consoles these days and Nintendo full well know it as the Wii U had these features. To not have them on the Switch still is poor at best.

Calm down bro. Pretty certain the WiiU had all these "features". Its a step backwards.

On a side note, been smashing Pokemon Quest and Golf Story. Two totally different games obviously but loving them both.

Having a youtube or netflix app available on the Switch doesn't mean Nintendo are focusing on being an all-in-one media device. It's pretty much what is expected of consoles these days and Nintendo full well know it as the Wii U had these features. To not have them on the Switch still is poor at best.
The Wii U was a massive failure though so Nintendo probably looks at those features as being unnecessary or not overly important, as they should. They would know that barely anybody buying the Switch gives a crap about running Youtube or Netflix on it because everybody has smartphones anyway.

When I look at the Switch, I prefer to stress over things that actually matter i.e. the shitty online system, first party software droughts and the lack of virtual console. Not having Netflix is so far down on my list of complaints, it's barely worth mentioning.

Calm down bro. Pretty certain the WiiU had all these "features". Its a step backwards.
I'm just saying these features are basically irrelvant and have no bearing on the Switch's success. In time, apps like Netflix will probably trickle onto the platform but people expecting Nintendo to make a big effort here are deluding themselves.

The Wii U was a massive failure though so Nintendo probably looks at those features as being unnecessary or not overly important, as they should. They would know that barely anybody buying the Switch gives a crap about running Youtube or Netflix on it because everybody has smartphones anyway.

When I look at the Switch, I prefer to stress over things that actually matter i.e. the shitty online system, first party software droughts and the lack of virtual console. Not having Netflix is so far down on my list of complaints, it's barely worth mentioning.

I'm just saying these features are basically irrelvant and have no bearing on the Switch's success. In time, apps like Netflix will probably trickle onto the platform but people expecting Nintendo to make a big effort here are deluding themselves.
Fair enough having it far down the list of priorities but that shouldn't give Nintendo a pass on the issue either. The Switch would be better with youtube and netflix and they are both pretty stock standard, widespread, popular services.

I do agree that there's more pressing issues for Nintendo to sort out though; this just seems like something that could be pretty simply done. Maybe they will come with paid online in a few months.

Fair enough having it far down the list of priorities but that shouldn't give Nintendo a pass on the issue either. The Switch would be better with youtube and netflix and they are both pretty stock standard, widespread, popular services.

I do agree that there's more pressing issues for Nintendo to sort out though; this just seems like something that could be pretty simply done. Maybe they will come with paid online in a few months.
We can't know for certain the issue is with Nintendo though. It's possible Netflix, YT etc. just don't think it's worth their time.

Netflix maybe, but how do would youtube or a simple web browser (that is in the console btw, you just have to do a pain in the ass method to access it) stop Nintendo putting it on their console? That is a Nintendo decision.

Netflix maybe, but how do would youtube or a simple web browser (that is in the console btw, you just have to do a pain in the ass method to access it) stop Nintendo putting it on their console? That is a Nintendo decision.

One of the issues might be battery life, but a half an hour show probably won't take up too much time. In docked mode it's not an issue.

Hopefully, they do, but considering you can get Netflix easily these days, it's probably not their priority. They seem more focused on getting good games out first, which has probably been a real challenge after the WiiU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had each gen of gameboy my whole life and have never used the web browser or youtube app. Each to their own of course but for me it isn't a problem if it never comes to the switch since my phone doesn't leave my side, iPads not usually far away and every TV now has these apps.

Mind you if I was young and shared a computer with my family I know what I would use to escape getting caught looking at certain things :rolleyes:

We can't know for certain the issue is with Nintendo though. It's possible Netflix, YT etc. just don't think it's worth their time.
Hulu aside, it's unlikely that every other streaming service has seen the Switch and decided that 'hey that thing is selling like hotcakes, let's not make an app for it like we have for its predecessor and current rivals.' This is a Nintendo decision and I'd wager it's linked to the lack of a robust online service/ infrastructure.

I've had each gen of gameboy my whole life and have never used the web browser or youtube app. Each to their own of course but for me it isn't a problem if it never comes to the switch since my phone doesn't leave my side, iPads not usually far away and every TV now has these apps.

Mind you if I was young and shared a computer with my family I know what I would use to escape getting caught looking at certain things :rolleyes:

Oh you know you'd love to use the browser on your gameboy pocket :p.

One of the issues might be battery life, but a half an hour show probably won't take up too much time. In docked mode it's not an issue.

Hopefully, they do, but considering you can get Netflix easily these days, it's probably not their priority. They seem more focused on getting good games out first, which has probably been a real challenge after the WiiU.
Their priority absolutely should be new games, no question. But that's not a reason why, 15 months after launch, the Switch still doesn't have those apps.

Hulu aside, it's unlikely that every other streaming service has seen the Switch and decided that 'hey that thing is selling like hotcakes, let's not make an app for it like we have for its predecessor and current rivals.' This is a Nintendo decision and I'd wager it's linked to the lack of a robust online service/ infrastructure.
Okay but the Wii U had the same garbage online infrastructure and still had those apps.

Okay but the Wii U had the same garbage online infrastructure and still had those apps.
Without a doubt. The key difference is that the Wii U online stuff was fully realised by Nintendo. It just happened to be extremely poor. The Switch's online stuff hasn't even begun properly yet. My guess would be what's happening is that Netflix/ youtube/ whoever are keen to have a presence on the Switch but Nintendo are only going to allow them/ be able to allow them to when the full launch of their online service begins.

Been playing the music rhythm game Voez, not usually into this genre but this is fantastic. Recommend it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back