News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was worn in the practice match against Melbourne, and I expect we'll see it on Friday night against the Giants.

So there is a traditional mainly white jumper as well as the mainly blue and the tassie one

Brilliant, GR.

Sooooo ... the channel is reborn? Have you got any clarity on what is and isn’t ok?

As a copyright owner of content that constantly gets illegally uploaded, I don't understand what is such a mystery about this. If you don't own the material, then it is not ok. Simple.

Anyone else annoyed that TASMANIAN is in big font with KANGAROOS underneath in smaller font? Wish it was the other way around.

Or do that only wear that when playing down south?

Late to the party but finally caught up on the game. Some initial thoughts before tracking back and seeing how others saw it.

• Emma King marks and moves like Todd Goldstein
  • Duffin is easily the most poised, smoothest mover in the side
  • Ashmore and Humphries will fit right in at North, run quickly then turn it over
  • Women's football skills have improved exponentially year on year. Year 1 kicks were a lot more hit and hope, the North kicking on the weekend was basically scaled down (length) kicking comparable to the men's game.
  • Will be interesting to see where it goes with more athletes coming in dedicated from an early age, have predicted before that this thread of the sport could develop its own playing types and styles based more on skill / touch a la women's tennis
  • North played the most dynamic attacking footy I've actually seen in the AFLW (haven't watched that much)
  • Abbatangelo and Riddell are goers
  • Hardiman and Gillespie-Jones look like the same player meaning both must be related to their male clone Narni Grima
  • Drennan looks a good athlete
  • Garner and Grierson are both really nice, rangy effective players
Good start, good spectacle. Well done to the AFLW side and coaches.

As a copyright owner of content that constantly gets illegally uploaded, I don't understand what is such a mystery about this. If you don't own the material, then it is not ok. Simple.
Well yes, the copyright law is what it is. Even then it's not absolute (I do wish we had a US-style Fair Use system here rather than the more prescriptive Fair Dealing that is in Australian law, but whatever).

What I really meant was that the copyright holders have discretion and was there certain types of reuse that they were less likely to come down hard on. It's an easy argument to make that GR's goals videos add to the league's and club's content rather than competing with it, and so don't do anything to detract from the value of the product[1] to the league or its partners. I mean, who's sitting down to a 2-hour replay because they can't get a 12-minute goals video any more? (I don't know how much editing he does on things like the junior and draft videos. On the surface they seem like they might be a bit more problematic).

Copyright law is a shambles. The amount of out of print, abandoned or otherwise uncommercial stuff that's locked up out of spite is a damn shame.

Some fans may not have bought into the women's team and that is fine, however from a personal point of view I absolutely loved watching the women run around representing our club on Sunday. They were absolutely fantastic on the weekend. Can't wait to watch the rest of the season unfold and will be cheering on the team with as much passion as the men's team. Go the Roos

Some fans may not have bought into the women's team and that is fine, however from a personal point of view I absolutely loved watching the women run around representing our club on Sunday. They were absolutely fantastic on the weekend. Can't wait to watch the rest of the season unfold and will be cheering on the team with as much passion as the men's team. Go the Roos
I know I'm not the only one, but women's football held no interest for me if NMFC weren't represented. (In the same way 'neutral games' of AFL hold little interest for me and even then, it's usually with reference to how it affects NMFC.)

Anyway, now that we have an AFLW team, I'm in, as I always knew I would be.

I know I'm not the only one, but women's football held no interest for me if NMFC weren't represented. (In the same way 'neutral games' of AFL hold little interest for me and even then, it's usually with reference to how it affects NMFC.)

I managed to forget the GF.

Five North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos’ stars have shared 29 of the 30 votes award by the coaches following Sunday’s win over Carlton.

Forward Jasmine Garner claimed top honours with nine votes, while debutant Ash Riddell was recognised with seven votes for her 16 disposal and one goal performance.

Emma King, Jess Duffin and Kate Gillespie-Jones were awarded six, four and three votes respectively, fitting rewards for their positive contributions.

North v Carlton votes

9 - Jasmine Garner
7 - Ash Riddell
6 - Emma King
4 - Jess Duffin
3 - Kate Gillespie-Jones
1 - Madison Prespakis (Carl)

Five North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos’ stars have shared 29 of the 30 votes award by the coaches following Sunday’s win over Carlton.

Forward Jasmine Garner claimed top honours with nine votes, while debutant Ash Riddell was recognised with seven votes for her 16 disposal and one goal performance.

Emma King, Jess Duffin and Kate Gillespie-Jones were awarded six, four and three votes respectively, fitting rewards for their positive contributions.

North v Carlton votes

9 - Jasmine Garner
7 - Ash Riddell
6 - Emma King
4 - Jess Duffin
3 - Kate Gillespie-Jones
1 - Madison Prespakis (Carl)

Same as my top 3. Now where are those posters who lambasted me for not having Duffin in the votes. Dont question my footy knowledge pal. :moustache:

Same here Kimbo. I rarely watched any games, not because I didn't want to but because NMFC wasn't involved. Now that we have a side in the comp I will be following the side with plenty of interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as my top 3. Now where are those posters who lambasted me for not having Duffin in the votes. Dont question my footy knowledge pal. :moustache:
Haha that too was my exact thought when I read the article on the website.

Really like Bruton's game as well.

....on that basis, Duffin, Kearney, Bruton and Garner had the equivalent of 30-disposal games...

Good call(s).

Thought Bruton was excellent. Did some quality work at the stoppages, particularly in quelling the influence of the opposition Mids and allowing us first use. Ran hard all day to provide an option. That combined with some superb decision-making and clever ball use, and I think it's fair to say that Jenna had a pretty good day at the office.

So much so that after watching the replay, I'm going to chuck her a vote....

3. Duffin (clinical display)
2. Riddell (took up the 'Kearney being tagged' slack in fine style)
1. Bruton (as discussed)

HM's....King, Garner, Gillespie-Jones.

All in all, a very enjoyable first hitout.

The quality of all the AFLW games has gone up on last year's competition. It is great to see a few more natural tricks coming from the more naturally gifted girls now that they have the confidence to pull their tricks off. The girls look faster, more physically built, their foot skills and marking have really improved and congestion is less of a problem than it was. Really proud of the girls and the work the club has put in and continues to put in with the girls. The more girls we have playing footy at all levels, the better.
Duffin was robbed in the votes. I demand an inquiry.
She was BOG for mine, but young Garner played a good game and Riddell has become a favourite.

I thought this was interesting in The Roar's wrap-up. Hadn't considered it previously but I remember that passage of play and he might be onto something.

For all North’s dominance, it took me until the fourth quarter until I was truly sold. Then, in one glorious passage of play, the Roos did something I’ve been waiting years to see an AFLW team do successfully and look comfortable doing — they kicked backwards, then manoeuvred the ball around the backline and switched play across the ground.

Very standard, dull stuff in the AFL, but very rare for the women, and a primary reason for all the congestion on the wings.

Better yet, the Roos made it look easy.

Sure, it was the final quarter, they had a big lead and Carlton were hanging back and putting little pressure on – but I’ve long thought that the first AFLW team to confidently switch play to the unoccupied side of the ground will win championship after championship until others start doing it too.

Right now it’s risky, because most of the women don’t kick it that far, and lateral kicks can be intercepted – but nearly every other time I saw someone do it successfully in this round of AFLW, a fast shot on goal resulted.

All of those other attempts were heart-in-the-mouth stuff. Only the Roos made it look simple.

If you want to read the stats for this game about who did what, you can find it elsewhere. For now, I’ll just say that North Melbourne looked like one of the only AFLW teams I’ve seen who could potentially learn to switch play at will, and turn grinding slogs up the wing into fast dashes toward open goals. That’s huge.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/05/winners-and-losers-from-aflw-round-1/

The quality of all the AFLW games has gone up on last year's competition. It is great to see a few more natural tricks coming from the more naturally gifted girls now that they have the confidence to pull their tricks off. The girls look faster, more physically built, their foot skills and marking have really improved and congestion is less of a problem than it was. Really proud of the girls and the work the club has put in and continues to put in with the girls. The more girls we have playing footy at all levels, the better.

She was BOG for mine, but young Garner played a good game and Riddell has become a favourite.
I think it's simply a case of narrowing the gap between the good users of the footy and the not so good. That's only going to happen as we continually get more girls into the competition who have had access to genuine footy development pathways right the way through their childhood and teen years. And as I said, that gap is narrowing. Unless they're an absolute freak, like say an Erin Phillips, you can see with a lot of the older players who had to give it up at 12/13 years of age that their skill level is a lot lower than a lot of the younger girls who have been playing right the way through.

Just like the AFL, there will be a time in the not too distant future where it pretty much will come down to if you can't kick, you can't play (unless you're genuinely elite in other areas).

I thought the improvement from the first two years was startling, even in games featuring the not-so-good teams. Then when I got to see North Melbourne, it was even more noticeable.

Hate to give them any credit for anything, but the AFL might have got one thing right, that the lift in participation, development and resourcing will more than cover the growth in number of AFLW teams and listed players in 2019 and 2020 and manage the risk of any drop in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back