No stars left from South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL club system is terrible. Havent come to terms with the fact they are purely a feeder league and spend more time and effort trying to recruit ex AFL Hacks rather than junior development.
Didn't take you long to pop out of the closet spouting your propaganda. Do you want to provide some facts to back up your allegation? Or is it just based on "feelings"?
How many non-South Australian, ex AFL players played in the SANFL this year? And what percentage of the total player population did they make?

The SA 18's has finished top twice and runner up once in the last 4 years. They also won the under 16's this year. The facts say that junior development doesn't seem to be a problem. But if you have other facts to counter this point, please provide them.

What a load of s**t.
The stalk defeinatley forgot to deliver logic with you.

The vfl constantly kept trying to change the rules to beat sa in state games. In fact a few times they loaded up with SA players to beat us.

If the standard wasn't as good, there would be no reason to cheat.

I did say never but I can only go by what I have seen, I was talking about the State of Origin era and the period immediately before it. What SA based players played for the Big V in State of Origin? Even if we are talking about previous eras, If you think bending rules in a one off match demonstrates a league's superiority over the other I think you will find that the it is you that the Stork failed to deliver the logic to.

I was talking about the State of Origin era and the period immediately before it.

You're digging yourself a big hole.

Have you seen Graham Cornes record in state games as coach? No you haven't because you insular Victorians don't want to be reminded about it.

I did say never but I can only go by what I have seen, I was talking about the State of Origin era and the period immediately before it. What SA based players played for the Big V in State of Origin? Even if we are talking about previous eras, If you think bending rules in a one off match demonstrates a league's superiority over the other I think you will find that the it is you that the Stork failed to deliver the logic to.

Pretty sure The Allies were created to stop Buckley and Carey playing for SA

Have you seen Graham Cornes record in state games as coach? No you haven't because you insular Victorians don't want to be reminded about it.

Sigh.

1. I'm a South Australian. Making assumptions based on an Avatar and an opinion that happens to differ from yours displays an appalling lack of logic.
2. How many South Australian players represented Victoria during this time? You mentioned the Vics loaded up on South Australians to beat us. Who were they? If you were speaking about previous eras you might have had a point but you brought up Cornes so I'm beginning to suspect you don't actually have one.
3. How many of the South Australian players who played under Cornes were still playing in the SANFL at the time of these clashes? I mentioned Aish and Macca, maybe you could name McDermott who was a staple of these sides but I don't reall any Croweaters wearing the Big V during this period.
4. Why did they move? OK, Money for one, but I'd suggest a desire to prove themselves IN THE BEST LEAGUE would also be a factor.
5. My comment was about which league had the better standard, not which state produced the better footballers. Yes, that is what the thread is about but my comment was more about the reasons why the current the situation is so and I specifically referred a period in which I believe the SANFL was at it's peak. Perhaps older fans might like to disagree but I've seen the Sturt flags from the 60's and it was very stop start stuff.

One more thing my logical friend. Victorians don't really give a stuff about us, they never really have. While we carry on about the Vics they are more worried about their Northern neighbors than us. Footy is different though and there was a brief time when we had some champion players and the Vics had a bloke that was passionate about State Football. By the next decade it was situation normal. The next generation of South Australians was not as good, the National League gave us 'State of Origin' every week and sadly Mr Football passed away. The reason we don't have State Football now is because the Vics just don't care.

Pretty sure The Allies were created to stop Buckley and Carey playing for SA

Either that or they wanted a fourth side. Honestly, what do you think the was the most likely reason for them? The concept was a real 'allstar' look about them. It never really did work out though. Also, little graham is saying they played with Victoria to beat us.

Honestly, what do you think the was the most likely reason for them?

I honestly thought that those two were a big reason for formation of The Allies.. but you're right it never did work. Buckley and Carey never played for The Allies, pretty sure they both played SoO for SA in 1992, but then that was it.

Random though, South Australia and The Allies never played against each other

edit: it seems Buckley never played for SA

Either that or they wanted a fourth side. Honestly, what do you think the was the most likely reason for them? The concept was a real 'allstar' look about them. It never really did work out though. Also, little graham is saying they played with Victoria to beat us.

And a place for players from the smaller (in Aussie Rules football terms) states territories of NSW/Qld/Tassie/ACT/NT to place representative football perhaps? There is a huge number of South Australian's over the age of 40 (almost always Crows supporters) that live in some SA Great/Kick A Vic/SANFL mullett/Frog Cake inspired timewarp.

Why isn't South Australia producing stars anymore?

Champion South Australians since the mid-80s – Kernahan, Bradley, Jarman, Platten, McGuinness, Rehn, Modra, Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards, Hart, Smart, Pickett, Tredrea, Wanganeen, Cornes, Burgoyne, Cooney, Enright, Pavlich. Includes four Brownlow medallists from the last 30 years.

Cooney, Enright and Pavlich have retired meaning the best South Australians in the AFL – its only genuine stars – are Wingard, Neale and Gibbs, not counting the soon to retire Burgoyne, Thompson and Griffen.

The majority of the premiership winning Crows and Power teams were South Australian. Now, only one of the Crows – Brodie Smith - and three of the Port B&F top 10 – Ebert, Broadbent and Westhoff - were locals.

Lots of solid contributors from SA including Jacobs, Vince, Mackie, Puopolo, Varcoe, Laird, Pearce, Thomas, Davis, Edwards and Grundy. But most of these are close to retirement too.

The real worry is when you look at the South Australians chosen in recent drafts, the situation is only getting worse. Excluding the 2015 draft because it's too early to judge, and accepting that 2009 draft potential stars Trengove and Menzel have suffered injury, apart from Wingard and Neale there's virtually no star potential since then in the early rounds of the draft from 2010.

• 2010 - Sam Day #3, Jared Polec #5, Daniel Gorringe #10, Seb Tape #13, Brodie Smith #14, Scott Lycett #29, Patrick McCarthy #34, George Horlin Smith #37

• 2011 - Brad McKenzie #18, Alex Forster #29, Mitch Grigg #41, Sam Rowe #44, Nicholas Joyce #46, Jordan Murdoch #48

• 2012 - Jimmy Toumpas #4, Sam Mayes #8, Troy Menzel #11, Brodie Grundy #18, Ben Kennedy #19, Tim Broomhead #20, Tim O’Brien #28, Brodie Murdoch #40, Matthew McDonough #42

• 2013 - Matt Scharenberg #6, James Aish #7, Luke Dunstan #18, Sean Lemmens #27, Trent Dumont #30, Malcolm Karpany #31, George Hewett #32

• 2014 - Sam Durdin #16, Harrison Wigg #35, James Rose #37, Declan Hamilton #39, Alex Neal-Bullen #40
The 2016 draft shapes up with the strong possibility of no South Australians going in the top 20 picks according to the experts.

My question is what's happening in SA? Is this the bad part of the cycle or this this the new normal? Do South Australians really want to watch local teams made up of Victorians?
Reading this makes me think Adelaide should have gone really hard for Neale before he extended his contract with Freo, they really need him.

On behalf of the Melbourne football club I'd like to apologise for us ruining the Toump and Trengove. At least Billy Stretch is a beauty and Ben Kennedy has his good days.

Please.

Toumpas should have been a rookie pick at best not a top draft pick, Trengove has been injured (has always been too slow anyway) and Kennedy will spend most of 2017 down at Casey.

So for star power at this stage you pretty much have Burgoyne, Wingard and Neale, with some young potential guys. Compare this to WA (similar populations) who have Franklin, Fyfe, Rance, McGovern, Natanui, Walters, Josh Kennedy, as well as on the cusp youngsters about to become elite in Cripps, Hogan, O'meara. Guys like Tom Mitchell, Hill brothers, Yeo and Hooker would be fringe players in a WA state of origin side, makes SA footy look very, very average..

I could argue WA is better per capita at producing star talent than Victoria given how much smaller the population is.

Sigh.

1. I'm a South Australian. Making assumptions based on an Avatar and an opinion that happens to differ from yours displays an appalling lack of logic.
2. How many South Australian players represented Victoria during this time? You mentioned the Vics loaded up on South Australians to beat us. Who were they? If you were speaking about previous eras you might have had a point but you brought up Cornes so I'm beginning to suspect you don't actually have one.
3. How many of the South Australian players who played under Cornes were still playing in the SANFL at the time of these clashes? I mentioned Aish and Macca, maybe you could name McDermott who was a staple of these sides but I don't reall any Croweaters wearing the Big V during this period.
4. Why did they move? OK, Money for one, but I'd suggest a desire to prove themselves IN THE BEST LEAGUE would also be a factor.
5. My comment was about which league had the better standard, not which state produced the better footballers. Yes, that is what the thread is about but my comment was more about the reasons why the current the situation is so and I specifically referred a period in which I believe the SANFL was at it's peak. Perhaps older fans might like to disagree but I've seen the Sturt flags from the 60's and it was very stop start stuff.

One more thing my logical friend. Victorians don't really give a stuff about us, they never really have. While we carry on about the Vics they are more worried about their Northern neighbors than us. Footy is different though and there was a brief time when we had some champion players and the Vics had a bloke that was passionate about State Football. By the next decade it was situation normal. The next generation of South Australians was not as good, the National League gave us 'State of Origin' every week and sadly Mr Football passed away. The reason we don't have State Football now is because the Vics just don't care.

Blight, Dunstall and others all played for Victoria at various times

That's how rigged the system was at times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't take you long to pop out of the closet spouting your propaganda. Do you want to provide some facts to back up your allegation? Or is it just based on "feelings"?
How many non-South Australian, ex AFL players played in the SANFL this year? And what percentage of the total player population did they make?

The SA 18's has finished top twice and runner up once in the last 4 years. They also won the under 16's this year. The facts say that junior development doesn't seem to be a problem. But if you have other facts to counter this point, please provide them.

I think the talent is there, but how many SANFL clubs will fix a players kicking action at 16 or younger.

This is where the TAC cup and academies are brilliant, they aim to get people playing Afl.

The sanfl and wafl don't have the cash, and afl don't care about either league or player development in either state.

Why isn't South Australia producing stars anymore?

Champion South Australians since the mid-80s – Kernahan, Bradley, Jarman, Platten, McGuinness, Rehn, Modra, Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards, Hart, Smart, Pickett, Tredrea, Wanganeen, Cornes, Burgoyne, Cooney, Enright, Pavlich. Includes four Brownlow medallists from the last 30 years.

Cooney, Enright and Pavlich have retired meaning the best South Australians in the AFL – its only genuine stars – are Wingard, Neale and Gibbs, not counting the soon to retire Burgoyne, Thompson and Griffen.

The majority of the premiership winning Crows and Power teams were South Australian. Now, only one of the Crows – Brodie Smith - and three of the Port B&F top 10 – Ebert, Broadbent and Westhoff - were locals.

Lots of solid contributors from SA including Jacobs, Vince, Mackie, Puopolo, Varcoe, Laird, Pearce, Thomas, Davis, Edwards and Grundy. But most of these are close to retirement too.

The real worry is when you look at the South Australians chosen in recent drafts, the situation is only getting worse. Excluding the 2015 draft because it's too early to judge, and accepting that 2009 draft potential stars Trengove and Menzel have suffered injury, apart from Wingard and Neale there's virtually no star potential since then in the early rounds of the draft from 2010.

• 2010 - Sam Day #3, Jared Polec #5, Daniel Gorringe #10, Seb Tape #13, Brodie Smith #14, Scott Lycett #29, Patrick McCarthy #34, George Horlin Smith #37

• 2011 - Brad McKenzie #18, Alex Forster #29, Mitch Grigg #41, Sam Rowe #44, Nicholas Joyce #46, Jordan Murdoch #48

• 2012 - Jimmy Toumpas #4, Sam Mayes #8, Troy Menzel #11, Brodie Grundy #18, Ben Kennedy #19, Tim Broomhead #20, Tim O’Brien #28, Brodie Murdoch #40, Matthew McDonough #42

• 2013 - Matt Scharenberg #6, James Aish #7, Luke Dunstan #18, Sean Lemmens #27, Trent Dumont #30, Malcolm Karpany #31, George Hewett #32

• 2014 - Sam Durdin #16, Harrison Wigg #35, James Rose #37, Declan Hamilton #39, Alex Neal-Bullen #40
The 2016 draft shapes up with the strong possibility of no South Australians going in the top 20 picks according to the experts.

My question is what's happening in SA? Is this the bad part of the cycle or this this the new normal? Do South Australians really want to watch local teams made up of Victorians?
Good points.

Imo, it's time the afl gave sa teams their own academies to fast track young talent like in nsw & Queensland.

The sanfl and wafl don't have the cash, and afl don't care about either league or player development in either state.
That's it in a nutshell, they have four clubs in those states, where AFL is undoubtedly the biggest biggest deal in town, that are financially stable, if not outright powerhouses, and for the most part competitive on the field. They don't spend a red cent more in these markets than they absolutely have to.

That's it in a nutshell, they have four clubs in those states, where AFL is undoubtedly the biggest biggest deal in town, that are financially stable, if not outright powerhouses, and for the most part competitive on the field. They don't spend a red cent more in these markets than they absolutely have to.
"But why should we spend money on a market we already have and wont ever lose?" - The AFL

And a place for players from the smaller (in Aussie Rules football terms) states territories of NSW/Qld/Tassie/ACT/NT to place representative football perhaps? There is a huge number of South Australian's over the age of 40 (almost always Crows supporters) that live in some SA Great/Kick A Vic/SANFL mullett/Frog Cake inspired timewarp.

...and the occasional Geelong supporter... ;)

Someone needs to tell Graham Cornes that SA is not the only state in Australia..

I honestly thought that those two were a big reason for formation of The Allies.. but you're right it never did work. Buckley and Carey never played for The Allies, pretty sure they both played SoO for SA in 1992, but then that was it.

Random though, South Australia and The Allies never played against each other

edit: it seems Buckley never played for SA

Buckley (SA-born, ACT/NT-raised) definitely did line up for the Allies a couple of times, alongside SA-born, NSW-raised Shane Crawford, among others. I wouldn't really consider either of them South Australians.

Carey played for NSW in 1990 and 1993, too. I wouldn't really consider him a South Australian either, considering the majority of his life prior to moving to Melbourne in 1987 was spent in NSW.

Buckley was originally a QLD/NT zone selection for the then-Brisbane Bears, and Carey was once upon a time part of the Sydney Swans zone. Any "corrections" to prevent either from playing for SA were correct IMO, and I say that as a native South Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back