Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is very good mates with TB, wonder how the freo boys will respond, either flat AF or fired up

Might be similar to the Crows when Phil Walsh passed

Came out breathing fire in the first quarter but quickly ran out of wind and got over run as emotion got the better of them

Very young (could easily still be playing). Feel for his family and friends.

Taken one pick after Cripps who played last night, and in the same draft class as Sheed and Barrass.

Just way way too young.

Taken one pick after Cripps who played last night, and in the same draft class as Sheed and Barrass.

Just way way too young.

Talking of Cripps - the one we have on our list - Jamie a couple of days ago shed some light on abuse he received because of his brain-fade in the Essendon game and wanted to remind those trolling him that 'it's just footy, guys' - and he copped a serve for that, too, from the keyboard warriors.

With things like this happening with unfortunate regularity recently, maybe some of us also need to remind themselves that it's just a game and no matter what happens on the AFL field that it's just for our entertainment and not life or death (apologies for the phrasing). We all mocked Cam McCarthy on BigFooty when he spudded it up, and fair enough, that's part of the nature of sport, but I hope none of us thought it was also our place to berate him for that if they ran into him in the supermarket - however I know that some fans (Freo, WC or otherwise) definitely would have. Anyway, just my random musing on this news...it's just footy, guys. Things like this give everyone some perspective hopefully.

RIP Cam

Last edited:
Very young (could easily still be playing). Feel for his family and friends.
That's where the real grief lies, footy is just secondary. outside of personal relationships.
As for players privacy, I sometime wonder when this site and the media speculate about a players injury or health, how is it any of my business. I am not about to disclose my scans for example to strangers.

That's where the real grief lies, footy is just secondary. outside of personal relationships.
As for players privacy, I sometime wonder when this site and the media speculate about a players injury or health, how is it any of my business. I am not about to disclose my scans for example to strangers.
Yeh if he never played AFL his family could be grieving somewhat privately, whereas now it’s plastered across news sites. Just because of his former job.

Double edged sword obviously, given the perks of celebrity, but man it would suck in these scenarios.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a tragedy, I always liked McCarthy, from a different mold than your average football player.

A bit concerning that there's now been three ex-Fremantle players, by my count, who have gone far too soon.

Certainly can't draw connections from what's in all likelihood a tragic coincidence, but probably a good time to redouble efforts around support during and after football.

Certainly can't draw connections from what's in all likelihood a tragic coincidence, but probably a good time to redouble efforts around support during and after football.

It can't help but be brought up but it's really nothing more than tragic coincidence like you've said.

Some times it’s good to stop posting or checking social media, call a mate and chew the fat for a few minutes. I’ll make a concerted effort to do this each week to connect with old friends and check in.

Men are the most likely to suicide and statistically I think the most likely age group are the 45-49 yo.

Tragic day for the family and friends.

I feel like they need to start reporting on how people died.

Suicide or not, people are gonna keep digging to find the answer.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'll know it's suicide by all the Lifeline etc links at the bottom of the articles, even if it's not explicitly stated.

There's no dignity in that for the deceased. All it would do is create further speculation as to the mitigating factors and opens the whole situation up to trolls and baseless rumour.

Plenty of literature to show that publicising suicide and method increases the likelihood of a copycat effect. This risk is even higher with perception of “celebrity” status, not to mention the impact on the family. Absolutely the right thing not to publish it.

The helplines and having “no suspicious circumstances” tell us everything we need to know.

RIP Cam.

If I recall correctly, Cam also had issues with epilepsy. So it may not be as clear-cut as most appear to suppose...

Lets just wait and see what the family announces, then leave them in peace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back