Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon keeps winning then the AFL will have a tough decision to make: should they manipulate things enough to make it easier for Carlton to win the premiership or should they do the same thing so that Essendon win it? Looking at the fixturing, it seems Carlton was their team of choice for the premiership.

No symptoms but medically retired is interesting to me.

Usually the medically retired from concussion guys have long term symptoms that impact their day to day which is generally why they need to retire.

Curious as to what the criteria is if they are now retiring guys who have no symptoms.

Not a dig or anything, but interested in this change of approach.
Also interesting was (acknowledging these are the unreliable words of one T Morris) the that it was call made by an "expert panel". I thought the only person who could make a call on retirement would be the player himself. Perhaps he retired following advice from the panel but that's not how it reads.

For once the AFL make a reasonable decision. A 12 month ban with 6 months suspended for the clown who grabbed Harvey Johnston seems about right

Yes it was innocuous but they had to do something to discourage anyone else from doing the same thing as it could have gone down a different path had Harvey not brushed it off

For once the AFL make a reasonable decision. A 12 month ban with 6 months suspended for the clown who grabbed Harvey Johnston seems about right

Yes it was innocuous but they had to do something to discourage anyone else from doing the same thing as it could have gone down a different path had Harvey not brushed it off

Agreed

And apparently the guy is co-operating, so that's in his favour.
Did a stupid thing, takes the hit, moves on.

And on another topic.

What's with the handball/throwing the ball situation? Watched a few matches in the past round and there were numerous instances of what was to me clearly a throw not called. A Dogs player was called and on super slow-mo the commentators went 'he got a fingernail to that, was a harsh call'.

Has the rule changed? The supporting hand was scooping the ball and the other hand was open and a fingernail might have touched the ball. Clear throw to mind.

When I played juniors the rule was simple. The supporting hand had to be not propelling the ball in a forward direction and the handball hand (for want of a better term) had to be a closed fist. Propel the ball forward, strike with an open hand, scoop the ball; all throws.

Agreed

And on another topic.

What's with the handball/throwing the ball situation? Watched a few matches in the past round and there were numerous instances of what was to me clearly a throw not called. A Dogs player was called and on super slow-mo the commentators went 'he got a fingernail to that, was a harsh call'.

Has the rule changed? The supporting hand was scooping the ball and the other hand was open and a fingernail might have touched the ball. Clear throw to mind.

When I played juniors the rule was simple. The supporting hand had to be not propelling the ball in a forward direction and the handball hand (for want of a better term) had to be a closed fist. Propel the ball forward, strike with an open hand, scoop the ball; all throws.

5 years ago handballing over your head was a throw, now it's considered skilful and clever. Heard zero updates on any rule change regarding it, just a change in interpretation I assume just to allow the game to keep moving. Probably the same with what you've mentioned.

5 years ago handballing over your head was a throw, now it's considered skilful and clever. Heard zero updates on any rule change regarding it, just a change in interpretation I assume just to allow the game to keep moving. Probably the same with what you've mentioned.
I think the skills have evolved and progresses, but the umpiring has fallen away. I Think the AFL likes to keep the game moving for optics on TV. Umpires do as they are told.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez if this is genuinely a stress fracture in his first year at his weight he’s got some serious problems…

Yet another reason thank f**k we didn’t trade Harley.

Ugh I wouldn't say this when Harley hasn't even played double digit games yet...jinx much?

Us typing on here will have precisely zero correlation with Harley’s health.

Of course but don't want to put the mozz on Harley. I'm not superstitious but I'm a little stitious.

McKercher and Duursma have been fine this year especially given they're playing for North.

Agreed

And on another topic.

They should just make the rule change to allow players to throw the ball or scoop the ball and help make the game faster ..
Umps are already allowing it if it’s really fast..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wish I was half as eloquent and I touch with his feelings as TB. His kids are lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way.

From day 1 when he was on Freos radar, he didn't look right.

Vibe, facial expressions: I could tell he was a troubled man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back