Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

True, they are all guns, look at carey, ablett snr. But no one is even in the same class as gaz, he's one of a kind imo, best player iv'e ever had the privelege to watch live.

Heard the other day that 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews once had 38 possessions and kicked 11 goals. IN ONE MATCH.

Once Gaz does something like that, then people could start putting him in the 'greatest ever' category. Almost an insult to Leigh that Gaz is mentioned in the same breath. He is an exceptional player, but surely not in the same league as Lethal?

Heard the other day that 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews once had 38 possessions and kicked 11 goals. IN ONE MATCH.

Once Gaz does something like that, then people could start putting him in the 'greatest ever' category. Almost an insult to Leigh that Gaz is mentioned in the same breath. He is an exceptional player, but surely not in the same league as Lethal?
I'm talking about watching a player live (at the game, not on t.v), never wathed lethal, plus never said gary was the all time best.

Footy is played at a more frantic pace and that 11/38 will never hapen ever again.

The only thing I've seen this year that was a bigger wankfest was the announcement as Murphy as captain of the CFC.

The football world would lose absolutely nothing without Brownlow night.

Nearly pissed myself laughing at "Throw Your Arms Around Me" being used with a montage of football highlights. Rates up there with playing "Hey 19" at your daughter's 19th, or "Band of Gold" at a wedding.

The only thing I've seen this year that was a bigger wankfest was the announcement as Murphy as captain of the CFC.

Nearly pissed myself laughing at "Throw Your Arms Around Me" being used with a montage of football highlights. Rates up there with playing "Hey 19" at your daughter's 19th, or "Band of Gold" at a wedding.

The way they run the Brownlow now would be akin to showing a different Final Story at each break of a Grand Final to make it last about 7 hours. So much padding, yet you have Fat Andy burning through the vote count itself. Ridiculous.

I was thinking CE would go another year. but maybe his knee requires surgery and he can't be bothered...or the cats are nudging him into it, they do have 2 first rounders waiting in the wings who are both medium defenders in Thurlow and Smedts

Smedts is an interesting case study. Has some good AFL traits but lacks consistency. He could go either way. Think that Thurlow will be a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit of a utility, more fwd and back than mid i would think at the moment

Think that Smedts will be a defender if he makes it at AFL level. He is fairly good one-on-one. Don't ever see him being a midfielder or a defender !

I was at the game. Hawthorn VS Essendon 1973 at Waverley Park. And these were the days when Matthews shared the roving equally with Crimmins. In the best 10 individual games, I have witnessed.

How did Cotchin get 19 votes - He had an average season.

Ablett won the Brownlow by getting 2 votes against us and 1 vote in round 17. Should not have got votes in these games.

holy ****ing shit this is an atrocious way to measure one's greatness

that's before we're even getting into how ablett can be expected to perform a similar performance when in the modern era 8-10 goal games happen barely once a season

(HEY MAYBE THAT GAME WHERE ABLETT HAD ALMOST 50 TOUCHES OF THE BALL AND KICKED TWO GOALS MIGHT BE SIMILARLY GREAT???)

i mean, you're basically saying no player can ever hope of being considered as great as Leigh Matthews unless they invent a time machine and transport themselves to a time which allows the possibility of a similar performance (WHICH MODERN FOOTBALL BASICALLY DOES NOT).

'is jobe watson one of the greatest essendon players ever'
'no. in 1972 geoff blethyn had 21 touches of the ball and kicked 7 goals and kicked 8 behinds! what a game! what a performance! until jobe watson puts in a similar performance jobe watson can not be considered a great essendon player'

this post is a possibly a strawman but i don't care you made a stupid post. ablett can absolutely be considered similarly great to matthews (ie in the greatest ever category) because of his last 7 years of football which has been of a consistently brilliant standard

'is jobe watson one of the greatest essendon players ever'
'no. in 1972 geoff blethyn had 21 touches of the ball and kicked 7 goals and kicked 8 behinds! what a game! what a performance! until jobe watson puts in a similar performance jobe watson can not be considered a great essendon player'

this post is a possibly a strawman but i don't care you made a stupid post. ablett can absolutely be considered similarly great to matthews (ie in the greatest ever category) because of his last 7 years of football which has been of a consistently brilliant standard

He's the Michael Jordan of the AFL imo.

Couldn't agree more. Brownlow night has been a joke for years, and tonight it had more cheese than stuffed-crust margherita with extra cheese. I considered setting myself on fire when they did that stupid Baumgartner 'parody' intro to one of the eleventy-billion highlight segments...

Never mind that the award itself has little prestige compared to the coaches' and players' MVP titles (which themselves mean feck all compared to, say, winning at football). It's quite apparent that the vast majority of players actually don't care about it and are just there for the free Crownies and a bit of a perv.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Gary Ablett is his own worst enemy, the reason people try and say he isn't as good as "pass player X" is because what Gary does now every single week is classed as his "normal" performance while the great pass players, the public just remember their amazing games and not their bad ones. Ablett is so consistant on the field producing great performances the public just write off his work now like this "Ablett got another 40+ touches and 3 goals in a team that is 3 years old, meh nothing new he is no Leigh Mathews who kicked 11 in one game."

Let's just wait until Ablett is overtaken or at least matched by O'Meara, Swallow and Bennel and GC start really becomes a powerhouse (and as Ablett starts to age). I'm sure he'll kick a huge bag as a resting forward at some stage.

Let's just wait until Ablett is overtaken or at least matched by O'Meara, Swallow and Bennel and GC start really becomes a powerhouse (and as Ablett starts to age). I'm sure he'll kick a huge bag as a resting forward at some stage.

I honestly can't wait seeing ablett spend 80% time in the forward 50, 80+ goals a year acheiveable for him. Im giddy like a school girl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back