Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and it doesn't help that we literally had this Philips discussion previously in May

edit

wait no, I've got a joke. When e-dawg spent like every single week moaning about the umpires regardless of it being remotely right or not, y'all didn't say s**t, but when he rags on some shitty GWS discard.....

When you use the word 'Dawg', I think of Chris Froome 3 time TDF winner.

Palmer did re-invent himself into a decent enough forward flanker in the later half of his GWS career. could be a good pick up. it's pretty different compared the rest of the GWS guys they've picked up (the kids, basically), but he's one who could actually play 22 games season.

Wright and Kerridge showed this year that if you bring a can do attitude and 4 working limbs you'll look pretty good in comparison.

Hell, Wright led their goal kicking and came 6th in the best and fairest and Palmer is certainly the better player IMO.

Palmer did re-invent himself into a decent enough forward flanker in the later half of his GWS career. could be a good pick up. it's pretty different compared the rest of the GWS guys they've picked up (the kids, basically), but he's one who could actually play 22 games season.
Palmer to Carltons forward line is like Gwilt to our backline.

Awful choice for a club rebuilding.

Palmer is fine for Carlton. He's a hard working, functional AFL standard player. Remember that Carlton is still trying to get its list to a position that it is not fielding players that are hardly VFL standard each week.

It seems that footy fans forget how bad Carlton's list was. To this point they've basically written off about 3/4 of their list over 3 years. A club can't replace that with 18 year olds and expect to be anything other than anchored to the bottom of the ladder. When a list is as bad as Carlton's was it's not like they were ever going to be flush with top 20 picks that would give them more certainty that the kids would end up "coming good" (look at GC's experience with all of those hand outs).

Even at this point there is a need for players who can play 100 functional to quality AFL standard games for Carlton. These are players like Palmer, Kerridge, Lamb and White. Within the next 100 games there will be a point that the kids recruited between 2015 and 2017 will become AFL players but without some of these experienced recruits they hardly have the structure in place to develop the kids.

I'd be confident that this is the rationale behind the bulk purchases of GWS players. Whiley, Sumner, Phillips and Lamb were really just some options to play in the interim. From what I can see the real issue is whether Jaksch, Plowman, Marchbank and Pickett are successes or failures (anyone else was just a bonus). Plowman looks good. Jaksch has been a bust. I doubt that any club in the country would not give up a future second round selection for Machbank and Pickett.

Last edited:
Interesting that the papers have hawthorn as one of the big winners during the trade period. I reckon that their depth is now non existent and the next batch of players haven't really stepped up. Even if O'Meara does work out, future player retirements and two years with virtually no presence in the draft looks pretty bleak for their future.

their lack of depth and loss of leadership is the problem imo, not so much the lack of picks over the next two drafts. How you rate their trading depends a lot more on whether JOM can get back to his best, if not it'll go down as one of the worst trades ever

Interesting that the papers have hawthorn as one of the big winners during the trade period. I reckon that their depth is now non existent and the next batch of players haven't really stepped up. Even if O'Meara does work out, future player retirements and two years with virtually no presence in the draft looks pretty bleak for their future.

In a sense, you could look at it as them targeting 3 particular players and getting them all. If that is the only criteria, then mission accomplished. As has been said already though, how this one pans out will be obvious in 12 months time, when the addition of the 3 recruits, minus the 2 club stalwarts (complete with leadership qualities) and a heap of draft picks will show exactly how good their trade period was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a sense, you could look at it as them targeting 3 particular players and getting them all. If that is the only criteria, then mission accomplished. As has been said already though, how this one pans out will be obvious in 12 months time, when the addition of the 3 recruits, minus the 2 club stalwarts (complete with leadership qualities) and a heap of draft picks will show exactly how good their trade period was.

Not having draft picks will take a few years to show up.

But their depth has not really changed has it? They lost 3 players from their best 22, and have traded in 3 best 22 players. None of their fringe/depth players have left.

Could be a blessing. Our first rounder + Zaharakis for Fyfe or Martin.

He'll be a FA. No trade.

But their depth has not really changed has it? They lost 3 players from their best 22, and have traded in 3 best 22 players. None of their fringe/depth players have left.

If we are talking about 2013-2015 (this year a number of close finishes probably papered over cracks) in terms of best 22 I would rate proven performers Sam Mitchell, Lewis (and Hill) ahead of Vickery, Tom Mitchell and an unknown O'Meara. In terms of stars, they lost Franklin in 2014, Lake in 2016 and, sadly, there is uncertainty over Roughead. Any injuries to the ageing brigade of Hodge, Burgoyne & Gibson will really test them. I suppose I am saying that the much vaunted depth they had in 2013-2015 will all but disappear by the end of 2017 because the best of their depth/fringe players from that era will be best 22 (or moved on like suckling & savage) and I don't see a lot else in the wings. They may not be the destination club they used to be for free agents this time next year and 2 years largely out of the draft is probably not going to help either.

Last edited:
will pick up Jarman at best this year, if he noms them, which likely costs them their 2nd picks points next year

Their lineup post next year (Assume Hodge, Burgs, Gibson, McEvoy, Roughead have retired):
Stratton Frawley Howe
Duryea Burton Birchall
Hartung Titch Smith
Puopolo Schoenmakers Rioli
Breust Gunston Sicily
Ceglar Shiels JOM

Depth is Brand, Lovell, Hardwick, maybe Jarman, O'Rourke, Litherland, that NZ ruckman, Woodward

Now, they won't be paying that lineup a whole lot (Titch, JOM, Frawley and the experienced forwards)
So Fyfe or Martin are affordable.
But 0 1st & 2nd round picks (assuming you add Jarman) in 2017 to trade, which mortgages off 2018 and likely any further picks next year, plus they'd likely lose a player from the above 22.
Assume they get Martin, lose someone like Hartung & Brand + their 1st in 2018

Stratton Frawley Howe
Duryea Burton Birchall
JOM Titch Smith
Puopolo Schoenmakers Rioli
Breust Gunston Sicily
Ceglar Shiels Martin

1 Solider out, 1 Solider in appears to be 1 Soldier in, 4 Soldiers short.

Cant be sustainable. At some point, they need to start drafting kids again.
I would have thought the depth in 2016 & 2017 would have been the years to do so.

Could be a blessing. Our first rounder + Zaharakis for Fyfe or Martin.
First rounder & swap of 2017 second rounders for Martin
or
First rounder & second rounder for Fyfe

Jettison some cash

Double up on Josh Kennedy's
JJK & JPK both UFA's.

Francis Hartley Hooker
Gleeson Hurley Tippa
Merrett JPK Heppell
Parish Daniher McCluggage
Fantasia JJK Simpkin/Battle
Berger Goddard Fyfe/Martin
Laverde Langford Zaka Myers

2018 flag anybody?

I THOUGHT u people barracked for essendon so why the continued lets trade zakar bullshit.
Pity some of you are'nt as loyal
I'd trade him for the right price.

Something in the teens would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back