Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's early but we essentially know everyone's lists now and it has me thinking; who do we see sitting the bottom of the pile?

For mine it's Carlton. No Cripps for the first six or so weeks and bereft of leadership has the already more than up against it. Sure they surprised some last year but with arguably their best defender now gone and the the debacle that was the Gibbs defection would have to play a part against team unity and means more kids get games.
But the biggest reason they'll finish last would have to be the reliance on spuds that wouldn't get picked for McCains let alone a football team eg: Casboult easily the biggest potato seen on any field since the 2007 Blampied Worlds Largest Potato Competition.

That's my two cents. Runk out.

I know it's early but we essentially know everyone's lists now and it has me thinking; who do we see sitting the bottom of the pile?

For mine it's Carlton. No Cripps for the first six or so weeks and bereft of leadership has the already more than up against it. Sure they surprised some last year but with arguably their best defender now gone and the the debacle that was the Gibbs defection would have to play a part against team unity and means more kids get games.
But the biggest reason they'll finish last would have to be the reliance on spuds that wouldn't get picked for McCains let alone a football team eg: Casboult easily the biggest potato seen on any field since the 2007 Blampied Worlds Largest Potato Competition.

I'd say Carlton are a fair chance for the spoon, they know how to win them.
Though I'm thinking that the wheels might fall off for Collingwood this year. Buckley is on thin ice and their recruitment stinks of desperation.
I'd throw Richmond in the mix too, they could have a stinker.
So overall, looking like a great year.

Last edited:

I'd say Carlton are a fair chance for the spoon, they know how to win them.
Though I'm thinking that the wheels might fall off for Collinwood this year. Buckley is on thin ice and their recruitment stinks of desperation.
I'd throw Richmond in the mix too, they could have a stinker.
So overall, looking like a great year.

Hardwick
Hinkley
Buckley

One of them will get the sack imo.

My guess would be Carlton or Brisbane most likely to 'win' the spoon this year. I think Gold Coast, Richmond, North and Port are all a chance for bottom 4 as well.

I can't see Fremantle or Collingwood being worse than last year, though with the 'easy' wins against Essendon's 2016 VFL team gone that could shake it up a bit.

It's a pretty even comp outside of Brisbane and Carlton at the moment, so I can imagine the area between 5 and 14 being fairly tight most of the season.

Bris could potentially surprise like Carlton did this year. Might cause a few upsets at home.

Think the comp is starting to even out a lot, with GWS and Carlton the two most obvious outliers. If GWS fall over there's lot of teams with potential to go all the way if they can peak at the right time.

Carlton or Brisbane as both know they need more time anyway. They are looking at another draft before moving forward.

As for Casbolt , do not agree. Yes he is a spud when it comes to goal kicking but he is a decent footballer who can find the ball and take a mark. Probably should be played in the back half but then they have no one who can take a mark in the forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I expect this will cause me to finish the day with an ice pick to the back of my head, courtesy of a North Korean assassin, I like the Silvagni story at Carlton. 3 generations of players all in the number 1. Father-son rule is definitely a good thing.

Bucks must be nervous with Daniel Wells doing his calf. 500k+/3 for an injury prone 32 year old
It's $1.8 mil over 3 years :D.

Carlton looks to me to have the worst "best 22" and list and by some way. While their list is starting to take a shape which resembles a professional outfit I can't see them improving enough in 2017 to avoid a spoon because it does not seem that much will change with their midfield. I don't think the system Bolen put in place this year will be enough. None of Curnow, Silvagni, Pickett or Petrevski-Seton will be ready to play significant midfield minutes though they might have more scoring power and I can't think of anyone else of note they have. Palmer provides some depth for the midfield rotation but that's about it. They'll benefit from having more class forward and from Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering forming a combination in defence but I doubt that it will be enough.

Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon and Fremantle will all improve, Essendon and Fremantle dramatically so. North still have a solid core of a team and they may fall out of the eight but they'll be competitive. Richmond should improve too. That covers the clubs who might be expected to contend for the bottom 4 based on 2016 performances and list profile.

Brisbane is handed excuses on a platter but I very much doubt that Fagan will be interested. If he can achieve a similar buy-in to a system that Bolton and Carlton achieved this year they can win 6-8 games especially if Rockliff, Beams, Zorko and Christensen are fit from round 1. If all of the attention is on those players, and Bastinac, Bell and Robinson are around to provide additional grunt, guys like Keays, McLuggage, Berry and maybe even Witherden can have quite an impact (see Parish this year as an undersized and out-gunned inside midfielder who still had an impact without the support that would be available at Brisbane).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back