Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want more gamed can't they just make a nab cup style tournament where the winner gets pick 19 and the players get a bonus or some s**t instead of ******* with the top 8

If they want more gamed can't they just make a nab cup style tournament where the winner gets pick 19 and the players get a bonus or some s**t instead of ******* with the top 8
Interesting. Before or after the season proper? Or after a 17 round season? Is that just the bottom 6/8/10? What do the rest of the teams do in the mean time?

Interesting. Before or after the season proper? Or after a 17 round season? Is that just the bottom 6/8/10? What do the rest of the teams do in the mean time?
Probably after to avoid injuries for the next season not sure how it would work tho maybe go the bottom 8 so teams don't want to finish in the bottom 2 and just do it after the gf

Probably after to avoid injuries for the next season not sure how it would work tho maybe go the bottom 8 so teams don't want to finish in the bottom 2 and just do it after the gf
This is a really s**t idea but still better than the afls really s**t idea

So another 7 weeks of games after the end of September, after the players have had a month off? That takes us through the trade and draft periods I think, and all through the resigning period when coaches are trying to assess lists and interview players and such. Would probably mess with the CBA as well I think.

I think you could work it in with 17-5 though. 17 rounds with a mid season bye, everyone plays everyone else once. Then another bye and split 6/6/6 (so 5 more rounds), top 6 play for advantage, middle six play for finals and bottom six play for pick 19?

I can't stand the idea of the bottom 6 or whatever playing for a finals spot, or picks 1-6, or having a draft lottery. I think that fundamentally goes against what the draft is and the whole idea of equalisation. Pick 19-25 though, or just pick 19 itself as an extra pick before the start of round 2, might be a sufficient enough carrot and gives them something to play for.

What supposed 'issue' are they trying to fix with this idea?
End of the year becomes either mass floggings with top teams playing bottom teams, bottom teams want picks, top teams want percentage. Or teams start resting players if they have enough advantage and field half-arse teams in half-arse games. The actual 'wildcard weekend' or whatever alliterative bullshit they come up with seems to be ripped from American sport.

Last edited:
So another 7 weeks of games after the end of September, after the players have had a month off? That takes us through the trade and draft periods I think, and all through the resigning period when coaches are trying to assess lists and interview players and such. Would probably mess with the CBA as well I think.

I think you could work it in with 17-5 though. 17 rounds with a mid season bye, everyone plays everyone else once. Then another bye and split 6/6/6 (so 5 more rounds), top 6 play for advantage, middle six play for finals and bottom six play for pick 19?

I can't stand the idea of the bottom 6 or whatever playing for a finals spot, or picks 1-6, or having a draft lottery. I think that fundamentally goes against what the draft is and the whole idea of equalisation. Pick 19-25 though, or just pick 19 itself as an extra pick before the start of round 2, might be a sufficient enough carrot and gives them something to play for.
I haven't really put to much thought into it tbh id rather they leave everything ain't broke dont fix it if your a s**t team getting flogged at the end of the year it will make being a good team doing the flogging even sweeter when its your turn

I haven't really put to much thought into it tbh id rather they leave everything ain't broke dont fix it if your a s**t team getting flogged at the end of the year it will make being a good team doing the flogging even sweeter when its your turn
Yeah I'd rather what we have now over pretty much every suggestion I've seen so far. But I like the idea of pick 19 far better than anything else I've seen also, which is why I was asking about it :)

I can't stand the thought that a team that can make finals mathematically is ineligible because of a dumb tiered system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the year becomes either mass floggings with top teams playing bottom teams, bottom teams want picks, top teams want percentage. Or teams start resting players if they have enough advantage and field half-arse teams in half-arse games. The actual 'wildcard weekend' or whatever alliterative bullshit they come up with seems to be ripped from American sport.

but you'll get that anyway. The top 6 will still rest players if they are comfortably ahead of 7-8, the teams at the bottom will still get flogged. Maybe teams in 11th and 12th spot will be playing competitively to get the wildcard spot, but there's no guarantee that they'll be close (likewise if it was 9 and 10 chasing 8th), all they'd be doing is shifting which games are meaningful and which ones aren't.
Just more proof that AFLHQ have no idea. They are so lucky that Aussie Rules has the inbuilt support it does; if they had to actually try and sell the game the league would be dead within 5 years

but you'll get that anyway. The top 6 will still rest players if they are comfortably ahead of 7-8, the teams at the bottom will still get flogged. Maybe teams in 11th and 12th spot will be playing competitively to get the wildcard spot, but there's no guarantee that they'll be close (likewise if it was 9 and 10 chasing 8th), all they'd be doing is shifting which games are meaningful and which ones aren't.
Just more proof that AFLHQ have no idea. They are so lucky that Aussie Rules has the inbuilt support it does; if they had to actually try and sell the game the league would be dead within 5 years
Currently I think the decision about who plays whom a second time is a combination of finishing place at the end of the previous year (you play teams that were ranked similarly more often) and the money factor. Like we always play Collingwood twice (crowds).

I guess any changes would essentially mean that teams that have fallen or risen on the ladder considerably since last year would be playing teams that are more similar in ability and would therefore be a closer game (rather than Hawthorn playing GWS simply because they were in the same 3rd of the ladder last year). A 17-5 fixture doesn't necessarily mean breaking the league into 3 sections though, like you could still have one ladder, and they could use 'discretion' or some other method to decide the fixture (percentages or closest margins in the first 12 rounds or whatever), rather than a solid whoever is 7th at the end of round 17 plays 10th.

Idk. There's lots of things they could do. My preference is not to change anything unless it's definitely going to be fair on everyone involved, and so far nothing I've seen has really ticked that box.

One year we'll have a season where nothing is changed or tinkered with - just probably not in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Lloydy has Hurley, Daniher and Zerrett in his team, Essendon bias comments coming in like crazy haha
Seems to mostly be either commenters under-rating Merrett or just 'lol Daniher?'

Both deserve to be in the conversation, if not in the team. People see how much potential Daniher has and don't realise how much he is already doing. Sure he could kick ten goals a week if he kicked straight and more again with better supply. But the goals he does kick (2.67 per game even with a couple of s**t games dragging the average down) plus goal assists and marks and the work around the ground and whatever else...

where the **** is Fantasia, Lloydy?!
. Okay now I see why Facebook added a love button. Where is the love button?

They need to stop worrying about the fixture. It's fine.

There's no way to make it even unless every team could play each other home and away on the same day using 22 clones of a superhuman that can't get injured.

If we look at this year it's pretty even
But guaranteed every team would have wanted to play Sydney a month ago rather than this week. And you'd rather play GWS this week rather than a month ago. Even if you do make it some 17-5 system if it really going to make it that much different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back